Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Migrating from Cue v.7.4.7 to VDJ 20201 - Page: 1
[I couldn't find an existing topic on migrating from an older version (like 7.x) to the current, so I started this topic.] What is the preferred method of migrating music from v.7.4.7 to VJDJ 2021? I have both versions running on my Windows 10 laptop, but I have not done anything yet to import/add music to the new version. I was hoping the XML database would be similar enough between the two versions that whatever method I used would preserve my current tags, covers, cue points, virtual folders, playlists, special fields 1, 2, and 3, and history. Also, many of my covers come from ripping them in Media Player; would these come over, or would I need to manually "add" them through the tag feature in the Browser? This last point was always an issue with v7.4, as many times the cover would show in the dialog for covers in the tag, but you couldn't "force" Cue to make it the actual cover that would display. When you have thousands of songs done this way, this method becomes very annoying.

I appreciate any help you can provide.

Posted Wed 24 Mar 21 @ 1:50 am
VirtualDJ 2021 will automatically import the old v7 database etc.
So dont really have to do anything to "migrate", just update ;-)

Cover arts are much easier in the modern Tag Editor in version 2021, and you can "force" your own art ;.)

The upgrade to 2021 will be seamless...

Posted Wed 24 Mar 21 @ 9:39 am
That sounds easy, but could you explain what you mean by "update" (maybe I'm missing some basic feature of VDJ)? Do you mean recurse through my current music files? As far as I know, that won't pick up any of my virtual folders, filters, playlists, cue points, etc. that I've set in Cue. Is there an "import" function where I can point to the old v7.x Database and have VDJ bring over all of that customized stuff?

Posted Thu 25 Mar 21 @ 1:32 am

Posted Thu 25 Mar 21 @ 2:12 am
I ran the installer - that's why I have both versions (Cue v7.x and VDJ 2021) running on my laptop. I now have two separate sets of apps folders in my Documents folder- (Numark Cue and VirtualDJ), with two separate XML databases. I am not seeing ANY of my custom folders I set up in Cue in VDJ. How could VDJ see them (they are in a another set of directories)? The only way I know is to copy playlists/history m3u files from the Cue folders into the respective folders of VDJ. Where in VDJ is the import function you talk about? I feel like I am getting the run around here...

Posted Fri 26 Mar 21 @ 3:54 am
Ah missed the point where you said Cue.
Thought you meant VirtualDJ 7

Copy the content from /documents/cue/ over to /documents/virutaldj/

Posted Fri 26 Mar 21 @ 10:39 am
Thanks Rune - this was driving me crazy looking for something that didn't exist. By copying those contents, I was able to recovery my filters folders, history, and playlists. I guess I'll need to recreate my virtual and favorites folders manually?

Posted Sun 28 Mar 21 @ 2:28 am
I spoke too soon on the filter folders - it looks like those did not come over either (sigh). I have 28 filter folders and 62 Virtual folders to do manually. I guess that's what happens when you do a lot of different type of jobs over 35 years!

Posted Sun 28 Mar 21 @ 2:36 am
the filters should all still work, granted the music are on same path..
They are just xml files, so you could open and replace/fix path if is wrong, or at least see what path is expected

Posted Sun 28 Mar 21 @ 10:29 am
I took you advice and tried to copy the XML from my old Cue 7.x XML database to the new VirtualDJ 2021 database for my Virtual folders and Filter folders. First, I created a few Virtual folders and Filter folders in VirtualDJ to see what they looked like in the XML (I knew where to find those same lines in the Cue 7.x database already). However, when I search for "VirtualFolder" or "FIlterFolder" (which is how they were represented in the Cue v7.x database), I cannot find those same lines in the VirtualDJ database. I tried all sorts of various search combinations like "Virtual_Folder", "Vfolder" "VIrtual Folder", "Virtual" "Folder" etc., but to no avail. How are the Virtual folders and Filter folders represented in the XML (that is, their syntax)?

Posted Thu 01 Apr 21 @ 4:16 pm
Dont copy to the database....
Just copy the Cue v7 database itself, to the DIRECTORY ( aka, to /documents/virtualdj/ )
Modern VirtualDJ will then import the old database by itself ...

Maybe start over, and remove the new xml database, and then start VirtualDJ with the cue database in same directory

Posted Thu 01 Apr 21 @ 4:19 pm
OK - now that make sense! I will try your method of staring over, and moving the old CUE database into the new Virtual D directory.

Posted Thu 01 Apr 21 @ 4:24 pm
Also, after I move the old DB into the new directory, should I rename it to match the current naming that Virtual DJ now uses? Right now the CUE version says "VirtualDJ Database v6.xml", while the Virtual DJ version is called "database.xml".

Posted Thu 01 Apr 21 @ 4:30 pm
You should probably also rename the copied Cue xml... just in case..
To : VirtualDJ Database v6.xml

And then starting up VirtualDJ 2021, you might get a message like :
"Do you want to import the v7 database" .. If so say yes ;-)

(its been 10 years or more since the version 7, so hopefully not forgetting a step... ;-))

Posted Thu 01 Apr 21 @ 4:34 pm
CTMobileDJ wrote :
Right now the CUE version says "VirtualDJ Database v6.xml", while the Virtual DJ version is called "database.xml".

That sounds good. If VirtuaDJ lacks all the old info from Cue, when you start up, then just close VirtualDJ. Delete the new "database.xml" file (keep the v6.xml file) and start VirtualDJ again

Things might get a bit more complicated if you have music on multiple drives etc.
Not sure how yours is stored currently... (with multiple drives., each drive has its own database)

Posted Thu 01 Apr 21 @ 4:40 pm
Actually it worked by just moving the old CUE XML database into the new Virtual DJ directory!!! All of my customer folders are back! Thank you so much!!!

FYI - It did create a new database called "database.xml", while keep my old database intact.

P.S. In the future, perhaps provide a little more detail for those of us like myself who need it "spelled out' more?

Posted Thu 01 Apr 21 @ 4:43 pm
Used to be a hot topic almost 10 years ago with lots of guides and how to....
You are just a little late to the party ;-) hehe..

But at least you got it working.. good news ;-)

If you want to keep old history playlists, you can copy them over from "tracklisting" folder in the Cue folder. To "history" folder inside the VirtualDJ folders

Other than that, you should be good to go now ;-)

Posted Thu 01 Apr 21 @ 5:01 pm
Now, I am at the last stage of "fine-tuning" my settings in VDJ to match what I was used to with CUE.

- How do I change the sort order in the Browser after you click a second sort field? For example, in CUE, I would sort on Field 1 and then sort on title, and it would display all the items in A-Z fashion at the top of my list. In VDJ , that same sort method shows the A-Z sorting at the bottom of the list. If I sort again on title, it shows the Z-A sorting at at the top of the list. How do I get VDJ do an A-Z sort at the top of my list?
- Much of the cover art I used in CUE was brought over from ripping my own CDs using Windows Media Player (WMP); probably 30,00 songs. As I was using CDs for 20 years before moving to CUE/VDJ, I rely on the cover art to confirm I am pulling up the correct version of a song. in VDJ, I am not seeing the cover art from WMP. In CUE, there was a directory Numark Cue > Cache > Covers that I believe contained the links to these covers. I copied those files to a the VirtualDJ > Cache > Covers folder. How do I make VJD tie these to the song in the app itself? Is it a record-by-record process via Tag Editor? Anything I could do to automate that process?
- In the mappings settings in CUE, I was able to set up a keyboard shortcut ALT+L to unload the left deck and a ALT+R to unload the right deck. In VDJ, all I can do is ALT+L, which only allows the unloading of one deck (and I can't specify which one). I tried ALT+leftdeck and ALT+rightdeck, but that didn't work. Any suggestions?

Posted Sun 11 Apr 21 @ 5:02 pm
- To reset sort, right-click any column header and choose "Reset sort order"

- Copying over the covers should be ok, if the naming conventions are still same.. probably are.
Not sure how Windows Media Player did things, been ages since I used, but if saved to tags you could try CTRL+A at the browser view, and right-click selection, choose reload tags.. (or check one in VDJ tag editor if it has the WMP cover art available)

- ALT+R set action: deck right unload, and ALT+L : deck left unload

Posted Sun 11 Apr 21 @ 5:57 pm
My results:
- That worked. (BTW- I couldn't find any VDJ documentation using the syntax of "deck left" and "deck right" for mapping. Under the "deck_select" options, I saw "deckleft" and "deckright", which led me to believe that was the proper syntax.)
- Selecting "Resort sort order" from the browser field listings did not produce the desired results - it just undid my original sort. Would tweaking the Options > Browser > browser sort parameter help? That's the one that has "file=Original Sort Order|file(hist)=Play Time|file(ask)=Original Sort Order|file(samp)=Original Sort Order|file(sbnk)=Original Sort Order|side=Title|file(play)=Title".
- If I don't see the ripped cover art (from WMP) in the Tag Editor of a particular record, I'm SOL, right (especially if I already copied the cover files in the respective directories from CUE to VDJ)? If so, this is a real heartbreak for me, as I spent countless hours ripping these CDs and making sure the proper covers were being picked up in CUE. What happens when I rip a new CD in VDJ? Will it pick it up the cover from WMP? What would be the preferred method when ripping to ensure the proper cover is picked up in VDJ?

Posted Mon 12 Apr 21 @ 1:55 am
91%