Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Mac: Exclude folders from search, or "only search here"

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I've asked this before but the thread just dies without any answers. I can't believe I'm the only person with this problem, so I'm going to ask it again in its own thread to see if anyone can give a suggestion as to how to do this...

On the Mac version of Virtual DJ, how do I permanently exclude folders from the 'search' function, or better yet tell it to "only search in this specific place"?

The background:

I have all my music on an external drive that I carry around between two different Macs... my base station where I do radio work, and my laptop where I do on-the-road work (mainly my dance events). I add metadata to the tracks for genres, and have a fairly extensive virtual folder structure that relates to the type of thing I'm doing. I tend to do all the sorting out of tracks when I'm on my base station rather than on the laptop.

This works well, and the information all ports nicely between computers.

But... if I just go to the search box and look for "Destiny" (for example) it searches my current folder, but it also searches everything else that's accessible. Which is fine... except that both Macs have iTunes on them and it might show me a version that's part of iTunes... which is again fine, except that files that are downloaded and discoverable on one machine MIGHT NOT BE THERE on the other. I don't keep my iTunes libraries in sync as far as what's on the cloud and what's local because that's the way I need it to be. So when I build my vFolders and playlists I need to double check for every file that I'm choosing the one off the right disk. Also there's a pile of other audio tracks on the main drive on both machines that I use for other things... and some of them have weird names, or names similar to tracks, and I have *absolutely* no interest in ever finding them through VDJ.

One option that I did think about was just displaying the file path as a column. But that takes up far too much screen space and gets in the way (especially as on the Mac there is no initial drive letter assigned, so I have to keep it wide enough to show the end of the path, not just the beginning).

So I need to have some kind of setting somewhere that tells the main search "don't look on the iTunes main volume". Or better yet, "*only* look on the 'Music' volume".

Any suggestions?

(PS - before anyone suggests it, the IgnoreDrives option doesn't do anything on a Mac)

Posted Fri 25 Sep 20 @ 9:38 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
Right-click the local music folder and select 'Batch->Remove From Search DB'

Posted Fri 25 Sep 20 @ 9:49 am
Adion wrote :
Right-click the local music folder and select 'Batch->Remove From Search DB'

That's kind of a half-solution as things sort of randomly sneak back in. If you add another folder somewhere that VDJ spots then it can get indexed without you realising. Still wish there was an "only search here" option.

Oh well.

Posted Mon 19 Oct 20 @ 5:03 pm
Try removing EVERYTHING from search db, then change the file location, And then manually add the folders you want?

Posted Sun 13 Dec 20 @ 1:45 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)