Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: New 17.3in gaming laptop recommendation - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

speng1PRO InfinityMember since 2010
Apologies if this has been covered before. I want to buy a new machine especially to run VDJ 2021. I've also bought a Pioneer DDJ1000 controller. I just want a good machine now to complete the setup so can you give me some recommendations as to what machine etc. Acer, Asus, MSI etc. Thanks in advance.

Posted Fri 19 Jun 20 @ 7:34 pm
 Best Answer The only official recommendation we can make, is:
1) get a "gamer" laptop with a Nvidia card (no amd). gtx9xx or above. the best value/price ratio as of today is laptops with gtx1650 or gtx1660.
2) make sure it has a recent Intel cpu. 9th or 10th generation (i5 or i7 or i9 doesn't matter that much). A core i5-9300H or above is ok.

All other features are up to you.

Posted Sat 20 Jun 20 @ 3:10 am[ selected best answer by Stephane Clavel on Sat 20 Jun 20 @ 6:14 am ]
Forgot to say Ive currently got a Dell Alienware r4 the one built around 2012

Posted Fri 19 Jun 20 @ 7:35 pm
The ROG series from ASUS always get mentioned around these parts.

Posted Fri 19 Jun 20 @ 8:31 pm
Ok I'll have a look. Any in particular you know off. They look solid

Posted Fri 19 Jun 20 @ 8:34 pm
The only official recommendation we can make, is:
1) get a "gamer" laptop with a Nvidia card (no amd). gtx9xx or above. the best value/price ratio as of today is laptops with gtx1650 or gtx1660.
2) make sure it has a recent Intel cpu. 9th or 10th generation (i5 or i7 or i9 doesn't matter that much). A core i5-9300H or above is ok.

All other features are up to you.

Selected as best answer Posted Sat 20 Jun 20 @ 3:10 am
Compre una DELL inspiron 15 5593 core i7 1065g7 10ma generación con turboboost 3.9ghz gráficos envidia mx230 4gb tendría inconvenientes con la nueva versión 2021

Posted Sat 20 Jun 20 @ 4:28 am
Se escribió mal no es "detectan" sino "debería tener algún problema "

Posted Sat 20 Jun 20 @ 4:29 am
Thanks for the information Team Virtual DJ. I'm on the case.

Posted Sat 20 Jun 20 @ 10:47 am
Many hi spec machines cannot handle audio well so, whatever you choose to buy , test it first with 'latencymon' software .

Posted Sat 20 Jun 20 @ 12:46 pm
That's not strictly true. It depends on the manufacturer and how their drivers are executed.

For example Dell XPS 13 2-in-1 i7 has really bad latency but the equivalent spec Lenovo C940 is almost perfect.

I also have the i9 Macbook Pro (which is one of the best latops out there at the moment) running Windows 10 and there is literally no latency at all.

I agree with the testing thing, some are far better than others.

Posted Sat 20 Jun 20 @ 12:59 pm
Problem is you cant try before you buy here in the uk as those gaming laptops are mainly online order only so its basically just taking a chance buying one and then running the latency checker when its delivered.

Posted Sat 20 Jun 20 @ 1:37 pm
I shouldn't think it would be much of an issue as it's unlikely that anyone would be using the built in audio on a high spec laptop.

The interface on your controller (assuming if good laptop, then good controller) should not have any issues.

Posted Sat 20 Jun 20 @ 2:01 pm
kradcliffe wrote :
I also have the i9 Macbook Pro (which is one of the best latops out there at the moment) running Windows 10

That's definitely not true regarding VirtualDJ.
We know that a big percentage of our DJs are on mac, so we spent time to extra-optimize the new algorithm on Mac, to be able to squeeze every last drop of performance to make up for the lack of hardware performance.
But still, a $3000 macbook pro will still be slower than a $700 nvidia-powered pc when it comes to running the algorithms virtualdj 2021 needs.

Posted Sat 20 Jun 20 @ 2:49 pm
So is it exclusively NVidia to get performance (coded specifically for their chips), or will other high spec GPUs be as good (or better)?

It would be useful for users coming to VDJ 2021 if there was a list of compatible chip sets, rather than having to run VDJ 2021 and getting the "rejection popup" for the GPU.

Posted Sat 20 Jun 20 @ 2:58 pm
on PC, we very highly recommend a nvidia gpu. nvidia is miles ahead of the competition in term of accelerated maths.
on MAC, it's still better with a recent AMD than nothing (we don't even try with nvidia on mac since Apple blocks the drivers).

Posted Sat 20 Jun 20 @ 3:31 pm
OK thanks. I see some of their cards are £6000 - won't be getting one of those. :-)

Posted Sat 20 Jun 20 @ 3:52 pm
Honestly I have no idea what laptop to purchase. I was looking at the Acer predator helios . I've got no idea. Can you recommend me some models with a 17.3in screen. My budget it about 1300 or less. Strictly for virtual dj of course.

My dell alienware r4 is ok but I've had it for long now and its not the quickest compared to todays models.

Posted Wed 01 Jul 20 @ 6:44 pm

Posted Wed 01 Jul 20 @ 9:33 pm
Yes thanks . I'll have a look at those

Posted Thu 02 Jul 20 @ 10:25 am
So I've decided to use my alienware r4 m17 for the time being. It has amd 7970 radeon card. I've just upgraded it from 8GB to 16gb using Corsair sticks and it can take up to 32gb but I dont know if that's going to make a huge difference because the only application I use on it is virtual dj.

I've also installed a new 2tb crucial mx500 ssd and reinstalled windows 10 fresh. The second hard drive bay has a 2tb sshd seagate firecuda drive in it. Have plugged it up to my pioneer ddj1000 and seems to like it.

Posted Fri 03 Jul 20 @ 8:08 pm
91%