Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Virtual DJ not receiving midi messages from controller (alternate title: can't get two different midi controllers to work at the same time)

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

So I currently have a Pioneer DDJ-400 working with Virtual DJ. I want to use a Allen & Heath XONE:K2 to handle effects while still using the DDJ-400 for everything else. The problem is that with the standard Virtual DJ settings, Virtual DJ is not receiving any midi messages from the K2. It only registers midi when I go Options > all settings > controllers > disableBuiltInDefinitions > mark as "yes". When I do that and restart Virtual DJ, it shows that midi messages are being received (in the Controllers section, where the custom mapping is done). When I switch back to disableBuiltInDefinitions marked as "no" and restart Virtual DJ, it goes back to not working again.

This problem is even more confusing because this does not happen with the DDJ-400. Whether that setting is marked as yes or no, Virtual DJ still receives messages from the controller.

I also figured there might be a workaround, since both of the controllers were working with that setting as "yes". So I created a custom midi file for the K2. Then I modified the default mapping for the DDJ-400 so that I could save it as a custom xml file. However, this raised a whole new issue, which is that none of the my custom midi files appear when that original setting is set to "yes", they only appear when it's set to "no" which is when the K2 doesn't register in Virtual DJ.

Questions...
1. Why is Virtual DJ not receiving messages from the K2?
2. Why are custom mappings not visible/selectable when that setting is "yes"?

Posted Mon 06 Apr 20 @ 10:36 pm
Let's take it from the beginning:

1) When you disable built-in definitions by using 'disableBuiltInDefinitions' option you must:
a) Either map all your devices as SIMPLE MIDI (which will make you loose a lot of their potential / make them work in a limited manner) or
b) Specify definition files for your devices besides their mappers

2) Both DDJ-400 and Xone:K2 are natively supported in VirtualDJ.
You should NOT disable built-in definitions. You should rather troubleshoot why VirtualDJ is not receiving MIDI messages properly from XONE:K2
The most obvious reason would be the K2 operation mode.
If I remember correctly, K2 offers a few different modes/layers of operation.
K2 is mapped only for 'Latching Layers Mode 0'
So, as a first step please ensure that K2 is set on the correct mode.

If your K2 is on correct mode and VirtualDJ still doesn't receive messages please contact support for further assistance.

PS: While K2 is a relative simple device to create a definition file for it, DDJ-400 is not. This means that creating definition files for these 2 units will take you much more time than actually troubleshooting why VirtualDJ and K2 don't communicate properly.

Posted Tue 07 Apr 20 @ 11:50 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)