Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: VDJ8 Migrate to new drive or use 2 external drives for home PC use

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

xylumePRO InfinityMember since 2015
What do you guys/gals recommend for migrating to a new external drive or just using 2 drives until the old one fails?

I've been using a 2.0TB slim drive (that's over 3 years old) for my music and music videos and there's only 348GB free space remaining. It took me over 2 days to analyze the entire collection of over 12 dj pools worth of music; mp3s and a lot of mp4s. I know I could copy 2.0TB to my new 5.0TB drive (which would probably take a few days), use the same file structure, change the drive letter, copy the correct files to try and make it work, then keep the 2.0TB as a secondary backup.

Or should I just use both drives together on my PC for home use. The drawback would be if I ever play live I'd need to carry 2 drives, but they're small and slim. I'm backing up to an 8.0TB drive (that's too slow for mixing from and sleeps/spools slowly) and I could always move the file structure over to the 5.0TB from my backup drive if my 2.0TB drive ever fails?

I seem to regret having my music folders on my drive structured by DJ Pool. I'm starting to like putting all new music into 1 folder going forward. Any thoughts or tips from experienced VDJs?

Posted Fri 21 Jun 19 @ 1:55 am
The easiest solution is to make an exact copy of the 2TB drive to the 5TB drive.
Since it's going to be an exact copy you don't need to do it from within VirtualDJ.
And if both drives are USB 3 (or at least the new one) it should not take that much time to copy all files. I would expect something near the 10-12 hours mark.

After you finish copying everything on the new hard drive, connect it on your PC alone (without the old drive connected) and change it's drive letter.
You're done!

Since the 2TB drive is pretty much full, I would format the drive and I would find another use for it.
Also I would purchase another 5TB drive to backup the first one in regular intervals. (You can't use the 2TB drive to keep backup of the 5TB because it's already almost full and pretty much above the security threshold. Even if you ignore the fact that a drive must have free space at least 15% of it's capacity, it would become full very shortly)

Posted Fri 21 Jun 19 @ 7:41 am
Thanks, PhantomDeejay. Yes, all 3 of my drives are USB 3.0 and connected to USB 3.0 ports. My 8.0TB backup drive can cover the 5.0TB drive. I'd definitely hold on to the old drive in case the new drive fails while still new before formatting it clean. I suppose the 2.0TB could be used for regular work files and lighter duty.

Posted Fri 21 Jun 19 @ 9:58 am
I've successfully echoed 1.48TB to the 5.0TB drive overnight. I then dismounted my old drive and powered it off, rebooted and executed the Driver to change the drive letter for VDJ8 and it completed normally. My VDJ8's working perfectly on the new large drive. I ran some backups and saved them to several drives and SD cards. My 8.0TB drive also has the backup of my music/video files and so far I haven't experienced any problems.

I did hit around 80-100mb/second for short bursts, but most of the time it was dipping very low. The speed has a lot to do with the type of drive and current Windows10 settings in the device manager, but at least I know my USB 3.0 port's fully operational. I didn't want to risk having any problems and played it safe. I'm glad we didn't have a power outage and I'm back in the mix!

Posted Mon 24 Jun 19 @ 6:39 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)