Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: first time testing Virtual DJ 8 on pc and laptop.

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

boempaHome userMember since 2014
Hi,

I've got hold of a Reloop Mixage IE cheaply from a friend who turned over to Serato, so that I could begin DJ'ing after a while.
The main system I prefer to use is my laptop, since carrying my pc around is alot of hassle.
So, here are the specs of both systems:
PC:
-I7-3770K
-16GB DDR3
-GTX670 2GB
main drive Samsung 840Pro 240GB SSD
Nvidia 337.88

Laptop:
Type: Acer Aspire V3-772G-747a8G50Makk
-i7 4702MQ
-16GB DDR3L
-GT750M 3GB
main drive PNY 256GB SSD

My intention is to mix videos, so I've put a bunch of them in mainly MP4-format for testing purposes on a 480GB Samsung SSD.
First I put the SSD in the PC, next in the laptop (as that is my intended machine to use at parties).
First the PC:
I noticed things worked perfectly out of the box, very smooth video the moment I loaded a video on a deck.
No lag whatsoever.
Notice the PC has all the latest updates and drivers except for the Nvidia ones.
Also, in the advanced setting video-tab, it showed the GTX670.

Next the laptop:
The program would load, I could get video on the deck, but very laggy.
So, I went to the forums and found a bunch of people suggesting fixes (like the registry fixes maxmem and memfree, hardwareacceleration on).
I tried these fixes to no avail.
Next up, I tried a variety of Nvidia WHQL notebook drivers: (first one was 344.75) 344.65, 344.60, 344.11, 340.52, 337.88, 335.23 and 332.21.
Each driver I tested using using a variety of registry tweaks.
I would get mixed results:
Some driver versions would only work with the HD4600 IGP (less lag than the GT750M) but no smooth and thus satisfactory results.
I had to input the program into the Nvidia control panel, to let VirtualDJ run with the supposedly better GT750M.
Sometimes the program would not even load up, unless I chose the HD4600.
For the maxmemory setting I used 1, 2, 4, 16, 128, 256 and 512 to ensure that wasn't the problem.
When the driver version would seem to work properly, the program would spontaneously stop working (visually that is, the skin would get stuck, while hearing the music).

To ensure the GPU in the laptop is working properly, I tested a few games, to see if there were performance issues (lagging artifacts and whatnot).
-Borderlands: The Pre-sequel
-Trials Fusion
-FIFA 15.
I did not notice anything that one would expect from a faulty GPU.

So, from this experience I can say that VirtualDJ on the intended system is a no-go.
I do like the interface though, but mixing videos on a big screen requires smooth operation, otherwise it just causes agitation.

Hopefully someone will find this information usefull.

Posted Fri 12 Dec 14 @ 12:51 am
Hi bo!!, My backup laptop is a the budget Asus X55A, Pentium 2020M@2.4, using the onboard Intel HD Graphics chipset for graphics, and it all works fine. The vids always run smoothly and with both decks playing, crossfader in the middle, and milkdrop running on both decks, the processor is at about 22-25%. My main lappy has a GT740M card that does not work well at all, so I use the onboard Intel 4600 chipset for the graphics and it works great. I have doubts its a Virtual Dj problem. May want to keep searchin'. Greets man!!

Posted Fri 12 Dec 14 @ 7:12 am
Good day mrgrumpy1 and your reply is much appreciated.
I find it interesting that you're having issues using a GT740M, which is about the same GPU performance-wise and from the same family of Nvidia GPU's.
It's not to say the IGP (HD4600) runs terrible, but it's not as smooth as the PC running the GTX670.
Considering I were testing a laptop having just a HD IGP, I shouldn't expect the same smooth results as the PC.
I also found something interesting on the internet while troubleshooting.
It seems that the Nvidia Optimus technology might be bothering the inner workings of Virtual DJ's video engine.
Since the system has to decide wether an application is 3D-based or not, it decides which Graphics unit to use.
Perhaps there's a problem where the system has difficulty switching inbetween the IGP and GPU?
Since the PC is hooked up to 3 FHD-monitors using video-connectors (2xDVI-D and DisplayPort2DVI-D), everything is forced to use the GTX670.
The laptop screen, on the other hand, is (from what I've come to understand), 'hardwired' to the IGP (sort of).
So the GT750M has to communicate with the IGP in order to work at all?
It does seems logical that a system where the OS decides which graphics unit is used, instead of having the option in the BIOS to select only a specific unit), the drivers have to be optimally configured to have everything working as smooth as possible.

I'll see if I borrow my friend's Serato setup once he gets the Serato Video Plugin, and test it on my laptop, to see if that works smoothly or not.
That way I can decide on what software-platform I should invest money in.
I would only go with a fully working solution where it considers people partying all night long.

Again I appreciate your time.

Posted Fri 12 Dec 14 @ 7:28 am
Update:
So I've gone somewhat radical and put Windows 7 on my laptop for testing purposes.
Combined with Nvidia driver 332.21 the video is finally as smooth as the desktop!
The latest Nvidia driver resulted in lagging, so that one's unusable.
Even after loading a few MP4's and fiddling around with effects, the video stays stable.
One major problem I'm encountering though, is that the skin crashes very fast.
Looking at the processes tab, the CPU-usage isn't high (about 20% tops), so it must be something else.
I've read from other people having this similar issue.
Changing the skin-fps from 30 to 15 seems to keep the skin functional a tad bit longer, but not stable.
If I manage to tackle this one problem, and keep it stable for, say, a 3-hour long set, it's safe to say it's stable enough.
I will check around the forums to see if someone has found a workaround which fixes this error for me.
It would seem that Microsoft has changed something in Windows 8, causing the GPU to function improperly.
Both the Windows 7 and 8.1 are 64bit-versions.
One final note:
Even when the skin freezes, the controller still functions like normal, loading videos/changing effects/CUE-points are functioning normally.
I can even load videos using the mouse.

Posted Fri 12 Dec 14 @ 3:56 pm
Yo bo, whatever....

Posted Sat 13 Dec 14 @ 10:35 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)