Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: DDJ-SR Mapping Assistance Needed (Sorry for the re-post)

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I've started to dig deeper into the pad functions on my DDJ-SR and wanted to know if anyone could help me make an adjustment to the behavior -

The default mapping has the hot cue which provides the standard cue (tap to start playing from cue 1-8)

There's a shift hot-cue mode which starts playing from the cue point and loops if you're holding down the pad.

I really would like to have a third mode which allows me to combine the cue play and loop without having to hold the pad down. I saw that the PAD_AUTO button is not mapped to anything and could potentially be used as a modifier to set that third mode behavior. It would be even more awesome if that could be combined with a flashing red LED on the hot cue button to indicate that third mode was on.

I'm more than willing to toss a few dollars to someone for their assistance on getting this working, I just don't have the experience with VDJScript.

Thanks! Daniel

Posted Tue 09 Dec 14 @ 3:39 pm
Can you please describe the wanted behavior as best as you can ?

Eg:
Step 1 : Press PAD 1
Sound should start playing and loop
Step 2 : Press PAD 1 again.
Sound should stop and loop should be deactivated
Step 3: Press SHIFT + PAD 1
HotCue 1 should be erased

I'm asking this because most of the time it's not difficult to write the script itself. Instead it's difficult to get in the mind of the user and write EXACTLY the script the user needs ;)

Posted Tue 09 Dec 14 @ 5:38 pm
Thanks for the response!

For reference, here's a zoomed in view of the panel I'm looking at -
http://media.djmania.net/images/extra/Pioneer_DDJ-SR_4.jpg

On the DDJ-SR, the default behavior the Hot Cue button lights up blue. Tapping each of the pads sets a cue point, and then once a point is set the pad lights. Tapping the lit pad brings back to the cue point. (Pretty simple so far.)

If you hold down shift and tap Hot Cue, the button flashes blue. The new behavior is - If a cue point is not set to a pad, tap it and it sets a cue point (and goes solid.) When tapping a set cue point now, it starts playing from the cue point. If you HOLD a pad, it activates a loop for as long as you hold it down. When you let go of the pad the loop disengages and the song continues to play.

There's also Pad Plus, which sets a modifier again. When Pad Plus is activated ,the Hot Cue now has a Roll function which combines the Roll function with starting from a specific cue point.

---

That all being said, the behavior I'm looking for is an additional mode (which could be triggered by the "Auto - Tap Hold" button above Pad Plus which is not mapped to any function.)

I would like the Hot Cue to be selectable so that I could tap one of the set cue points (from the pads) and have it IMMEDIATELY set it to a loop without having to hold the pad down. Since this is already present in the mapping for the DDJ-SR for the other mode (while holding the pad down) I would have to assume it wouldn't be too difficult to use that as a starting point to copy the function. The trick is to find a way to activate that mode.

Since the Hot Cue button has a red and a blue LED, and the Red Flashing mode isn't mapped, that could be used as the visual indicator that the mode is active.

From a function standpoint does this explanation make sense?

PhantomDeejay wrote :
Can you please describe the wanted behavior as best as you can ?

Eg:
Step 1 : Press PAD 1
Sound should start playing and loop
Step 2 : Press PAD 1 again.
Sound should stop and loop should be deactivated
Step 3: Press SHIFT + PAD 1
HotCue 1 should be erased

I'm asking this because most of the time it's not difficult to write the script itself. Instead it's difficult to get in the mind of the user and write EXACTLY the script the user needs ;)

Posted Wed 10 Dec 14 @ 12:00 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)