Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: 1st USB mixer - suggestions?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I'm sorry if this is in the wrong section - also sorry that I'm a complete noob. Yup, I'm one of those.

I've got version 5.2 of Virtual DJ (got it ages ago when I was big in DJ-ing) and I'm hosting this year's holiday party. I also did host last year but keyboard and mouse was such a pain (and doesn't look as professional) that I want to be prepared this year. I've looked around and there's this talk about sound cards and so much stuff that I don't even know where to start. I have little time as it is to look around so I thought you guys could help me out.

Got a laptop and wanting to start fresh. New mixer, new copy of Virtual DJ, the bundle. Price budget of $140-ish. Nothing fancy. Just something I can USB-plug in my laptop and start mixing (basically cross-fading, really) with little to no work such as installing stuff/burning CD's like I've read in another topic. Output for music is just an AUX wire from a sound system into the laptop. No setup at all on my part, just something for a night and to play around in my room with so I'm not serious as you guys. ;)

Any suggestion/help would be GREATLY appreciated. I love music and I only wish to hone my skills to reflect that. Used Virtual DJ for so long that having proper equipment would be the next logical step. Thanks!

Posted Mon 24 Nov 14 @ 3:56 am
idj4himPRO InfinityMember since 2009
did you ever get anything going? I have the hercules dj Air controller[130.00ish]. also I subscribe to vdj8.[19.00 a month]. im a bedroom dj and got out of doing paying gigs a few years back. but i love to mix and scratch and remixing music. this method works great and it sounds like what you are looking for. good luck

Posted Tue 25 Nov 14 @ 8:15 pm
Seriously, thanks for the reply. I've been checking this thread for replies since I posted. Wanna get the gear I want and then focus on my music selection.

I'll look into the Hercules controller you mentioned but I'm looking something that's really for crossfading. I basically want an actual crossfader, not a mouse and keyboard. So I don't need something fancy like pressure wheels that the Air has. Cheaper is better although the Air is in my budget so thanks for that! I just wanna make sure that I can get something that I can plug in my PC (or plug the PC in the mixer via USB and have the audio jack in the mixer - any way is cool) and play. I was into DJ-ing back in high school but never got the money to buy the stuff I wanted so I really don't know anything about it as I never pursued that path. Again, any help would be appreciated. :)

*edit*
I should specify that I'm looking for a controller, not a mixer. Been looking at some hardware and realized my mistake.

Posted Wed 26 Nov 14 @ 5:02 am
Hi LiveJoker. :-)

Your comments puzzle me. You say you want something "for crossfading" but you dismiss the Air as fancy.

A small controller like the Air is about as unfancy as it gets! It has a crossfader (as do most DJ controllers) so no problem there.

The jogwheels are also something you'll find on most controllers. Don't dismiss them. They're useful for cueing.

It would also be a huge advantage to get something which has audio on board. This will enable you to have a master output and a cue channel for headphones on the same unit, rather than using the consumer grade PC audio.

I would suggest looking at not only the Hercules range, but also Numark and Reloop.

BTW be aware that you'll either need an LE version of VDJ or a subscriber/controller license to use a USB controller with VDJ.

Posted Wed 26 Nov 14 @ 5:41 am
Sweet, loving the replies! I guess I was a bit shocked at the price of the Air yet it's still in my price range (although it's up at the limit).

So while looking around the Hercules I found "Hercules DJControl Instinct DJ Software Controller" which is around $90. It doesn't come with a newer version of Virtual DJ so I'm not sure if my old version will support it. It does come with DJuced, some program that's apparently good (from a few reviews I saw) but isn't as good as Virtual DJ. How inferior it is and on what level I'm not sure but the controller is exactly what I need.

I'm probably gonna go with the Instinct but wondering (if any of you two or anyone else keeping an eye on this thread) if it's worth taking. The audio system I have uses an AUX jack so it's nothing fancy. Completely stupid question/remark but I'm not sure if I'll be plugging it in the PC or the controller (as said; I know little to nothing about controllers). But yeah, I'm looking at the Instinct at the moment. :)

Thanks for the replies, I do consider all my options.

*edit*
Uncle was a DJ few years back. I had the chance to use his Numark tables and I loved them ever since. I looked at Numark controllers and are quite pricey/not what I'm looking for. I also like Pioneer so I looked into that but the Hercules looks too good of a chance to pass up.

Posted Wed 26 Nov 14 @ 4:41 pm

Posted Wed 26 Nov 14 @ 5:05 pm
my first controller was the hercules mp3 e2. it is has plain has it gets. no on board sound card. but it worked for mixing in the bedroom and a few birthday parties. the air i really like. no its not pioneer denon numark etc. but it works goood for what i do. i really like the on board sound card. and yes the pressure jog wheels are awesome[for me]. so i would recommend getting a controller with a sound card more than anything else.
BTW the software DJuced is no where near the quality of VDJ7 or 8. stick with VDJ. im not dogging their software but....... Good Luck

Posted Wed 26 Nov 14 @ 7:34 pm
i plug my headphones in the controller and use the on board sound on my laptop has master out. its what I like to do. to each his or her own.

Posted Wed 26 Nov 14 @ 7:45 pm

Posted Thu 27 Nov 14 @ 1:16 pm
Yes, I have a DJ2GO myself - always in my laptop bag for emergencies!

It doesn't have an audio interface though, so that would be an extra requirement for cueing.

Posted Thu 27 Nov 14 @ 2:19 pm
also u could get one of those splitter cables and dj in mono probably get one for $15 or so

Posted Thu 27 Nov 14 @ 5:06 pm
While the Numark DJ 2 Go that wicked recommend isn't as fancy-looking as I want it to (you know, lights around the wheels/buttons, etc), it's exactly the type of stuff I'm looking for! I guess I'm used to knobs (giggity) as all those buttons look too simple but if it does what I want then it's perfect. I really like Virtual DJ so I'm a bit worried of trying that Hercules that I want/wanted (although the Instinct is supported by Virtual DJ as I can get a license for it). I will keep the DJ 2 Go in mind, though. Thanks!

What is the difference between a controller with and without a sound card? It basically puts the audio in the controller instead of the PC or...? Yeah, sorry about not knowing as I'm sure I could look it up but you guys have helped me out so much that I would like your view/knowledge on it. Also, if I buy a controller and it comes with Virtual DJ, do I need to buy a license for the controller to work or will it still work? As said; I love Virtual DJ but buying a controller and then a license piles up especially if the minimum for a license is $50. I'll probably end up buying it but I already have the program working - all I need is a controller so...plus, it's a family party so it's not like I'm getting paid for this. :P

Thanks again guys for all the help! So I'll look into buying my stuff next week so I got time to practice with them. Without all the comments I would seriously be discouraged and do the party once again with keyboard and mouse.

Posted Fri 28 Nov 14 @ 3:43 pm
Controllers with the audio built in tend to have two stereo channels - one for the main output and the other for headphone cue.

Laptops only have one stereo output, so you can't play and cue at the same time. Plus, laptop sound isn't great anyway. Get something designed for the job.

The VDJ LE that ships with some controllers will work with just that controller - the idea is to give you something to get started with.

However, it won't be VDJ 8. As far as I know right now, there are no controllers that include VDJ 8 LE.

Posted Fri 28 Nov 14 @ 5:31 pm
Ah, well that makes sense.

So the Instinct seems to have built-in audio seeing it's got an output for speakers and one for headphones. I've learn quite a lot just from this simple question and I'm definitely getting the Instinct. Will see how their program runs as well as trying it out with Virtual DJ (my version or if it doesn't upgrade to a newer version). Thanks for the help, all of you, seriously. I understand how annoying it can be to help out some guy that knows basically nothing which, when I admit it myself (big music fan here), it sucks but it's a fact. So thanks for your patience and help.

My question was answered, you guys can use this thread for more suggestions for others to see or just let it die. ;)

Posted Sun 30 Nov 14 @ 4:13 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)