Drivers & FirmwareDrivers:
(Windows only) : Install the Traktor Windows Driver (ASIO) from https://www.native-instruments.com/en/support/downloads/drivers-other-files/
No driver is required for Mac computers Firmware:
(for both Windows & Mac) Update the device firmware to the latest available version https://www.native-instruments.com/en/support/downloads/drivers-other-files/
VirtualDJ SetupDownload and install VirtualDJ from https://www.virtualdj.com/download/index.html (in case you have not done already)
Once VirtualDJ is opened, a Connect Window will appear to choose one of the available ways to login.
A Pro Infinity, a Pro Subscription or a PLUS License is required to use the Traktor Kontrol S8. Without any of the above Licenses, the controller will operate for 10 minutes each time you restart VirtualDJ.
A detection window will appear next verifying the proper connection.
Click on the Kontrol S8 button to allow VirtualDJ to auto-create the pre-defined audio configuration.
Click to OK
The unit is now ready
The unit should be visible in the MAPPING tab of Config and the “factory default
” available/selected from the Mappings drop-down list. The factory default Mapping offers the functions described in this Manual, however those can be adjusted to your needs via VDJ Script actions.
Find more details at https://www.virtualdj.com/wiki/VDJ8script.html
The unit has a pre-defined Audio configuration and a special button in the AUDIO tab of Config to provide that. The default audio configuration requires speakers to be connected at the rear-side Master
RCA or 1/8" sockets and headphones at the front panel 1/8" socket.
Refer to VirtualDJ Manual for alternative audio configurations https://www.virtualdj.com/manuals/virtualdj8/settings/audiosetup.html
For further software settings please refer to the User Guide of VirtualDJ. https://www.virtualdj.com/manuals/virtualdj8/index.html
DECK CONTROLSS SHIFT
.Hold this button down to access additional functionality for several buttons/knobs as described in this manual.
- PLAY: Play/Pauses the track.
- CUE: When the Deck is paused, you can set a temporary Cue Point by moving the Platter to place the Audio Pointer at the desired location and then pressing the Cue Button. During playback, you can press the Cue Button to return the track to this Cue Point. (If you did not set a Cue Point, then it will return to the beginning of the track.). If the Deck is paused, you can press and hold the Cue Button to play the track from the Temporary Cue Point. Releasing the Cue Button will return the track to the temporary Cue Point and pause it. To continue playback without returning to the Temporary Cue Point, press and hold the Cue Button, then press and hold the Play Button, and then release both buttons.
- SYNC: Use this button to match Tempo and Beat-Phase of the deck with the values of the opposite deck (or Master Deck if more than 2 decks are used). The Master Deck selection is made automatically by VirtualDJ, mostly depending on the Deck that is playing out in Master.
Hold SHIFT and then use this button to reset Deck's Tempo to its original value
- NEEDLE SEARCH: When Track is paused, touch and slide to left/right to fine-position Track. When Track is playing, touch and slide to left/right to bend (temporary increase/decrease Tempo).
Hold SHIFT and then slide to left/right to Seek (Search) through the Track
- DECK: Swap Left/Right Decks. Use the Left DECK button to toggle between Decks 1 (blue led) and 3 (white led). Use the right DECK button to toggle between Decks 2 (blue led) and 4 (white led)
- FLUX: Use this button to enable/disable Slip mode. When Slip mode is enabled, several functions such as Hotcues, Loops, Scratching etc, will act temporary (track will resume playback from the position it would have been if this function was never executed)
- LOOP: Turn left/right to half/double the size of the Loop. Push the encoder to turn on/off a Loop. Hold SHIFT down to move the loop backward/forward by 1 beat.
- EDIT: Not pre-defined to any operation
- CAPTURE: Use this button to save the current loop. when saved, use this button to enable/prepare the saved loop. Hold SHIFT down and use this button to delete the saved loop.
PERFORMANCE PADSThe 8 Pads offer various functions, depending on the selected Pad mode. Each of the 4 Pad mode buttons offers 2 individual modes. One with the press of the mode button, and an additional mode with 2nd press of the mode button while the 1st is selected. The 8 modes represent a page of the PADS section on the default VirtualDJ GUI.
- PAD MODE. Press any of the 4 available Pad mode buttons to set the Pads to one of the following modes
[HOTCUE] : Hotcues page
[LOOP] : Loops page
[FREEZE] : Slicer page
[REMIX] : Sampler page.
[HOTCUE] 2nd press : KeyCue page
[[LOOP] 2nd press : Saved Loops page
[FREEZE] 2nd press : BeatJump page
[REMIX] 2nd press : Stems page
All the above pre-assigned pages can be changed. See VirtualDJ Manual
- PADS. The 8 Pads offer different functionality depending on the selected mode.
The Parameters of each mode can be adjusted from the VirtualDJ GUI (Pads section)
Read further details about Pads in the VirtualDJ manual
INPUTS & RECORDING
The Traktor Kontrol S8 offers the ability to work as a standalone mixer, route the inputs to VirtualDJ as Live Inputs, as well as Timecode/DVS control.
This is the default setup with no Inputs in VirtualDJ Audio Setup. In this mode any external audio source connected through the Inputs of the S8 (rear panel) can be directly routed to each mixer channel when the SOURCE
 buttons are turned off (the corresponding VirtualDJ Deck is muted
in this case). Turn the SOURCE buttons back on, to mute the external audio source and route the VirtualDJ Deck back to the mixer channel. Default Audio Setup - Standalone mixer
The same Inputs can be also used to send audio signal from an analogue media source connected at the rear panel to VirtualDJ for processing.
Open VirtualDJ Settings ->AUDIO tab and press the LINE INPUT
button from the INPUT tab
Click to Apply
. Audio configuration with Line Ins
Turn off/on the SOURCE  buttons to enable/disable Line In routing to a VirtualDJ Deck.
This will provide the ability to synchronize BPM with other decks, use Effects etc.
The Traktor Kontrol S8 is also offering DVS (Timecoded CDs and Vinyls) Support,
Audio configuration with Timecodes
- Connect your Timecode devices to any of the Inputs at the rear panel
- Place the Input switches to either PH (Phono) or LN (Line) position depending on the connected signal device.
- Open VirtualDJ Settings ->AUDIO tab and press the TIMECODE SIGNAL button from the INPUT tab
- Click to APPLY
Use the TIMECODE On/Off buttons that will be offered on the Decks of VirtualDJ GUI to enable/disable Timecode control.
The Traktor Kontrol S8 offers 2 Microphone Inputs (connections at the rear panel). Microphone input 1 is routed to the far left mixer channel and Microphone input 2 is routed to the far more right mixer channel.
Press the MIC 1/2
 button at the top panel to enable/disable the Microphone 1/2 input. When enabled (led will become green), the signal of each Microphone input will be routed to the corresponding mixer channel. Use the Mixer Volume fader to adjust its output level.
Same as the Live Inputs, the Microphone Inputs can be routed to a VirtualDJ Deck (to apply VirtualDJ Effects and record) if Line Inputs are included in VirtualDJ Audio Setup (see LINE INs mode above)
Note that when a Microphone Input is routed to a mixer channel (via the MIC 1/2 buttons), the respective VirtualDJ Deck 3/4 Decks will be muted.
Recording & Broadcasting
No need to make any adjustments for VirtualDJ to record your mix. Note that Microphone and Live Inputs will be recorded, only if those are included in VirtualDJ Audio setup (LINE INS mode)
For further Technical features and specifications, visit Native Instruments Kontrol S8
Hardware Integration Department 2022 - ATOMIX PRODUCTIONS Reproduction of this manual in full or in part without written permission from Atomix Productions is prohibited.