DENON DJ SC LIVE 2
for VirtualDJ 8.5+ Last Update : November 2022
Switch to Computer mode
When the SC Live 2 is powered on, it will be set to Standalone/Engine mode. To switch to Computer mode and control VirtualDJ you need to ...
- Press the MENU
button at the top panel of the device, or slide down
the main screen.
- Tap on the Source
button on the SC Live 2 screen.
- Tap on the Computer icon
at the top of the SC Live 2 screen
Firmware & DriversFirmware
: Update the firmware (Engine OS) of the unit to the latest available version from https://www.denondj.com/downloadsDrivers : (Windows only)
Download and install the latest Windows
drivers from https://www.denondj.com/downloads
.The device's screen will not be operational if the driver is not installed.No driver
is necessary to be installed on Mac
OSX computers. Note Due to Denon SDK incompatibility, the screens will be operational on Mac OSX 10.14 or later.
VirtualDJ SetupDownload and install VirtualDJ from https://www.virtualdj.com/download/index.html (in case you have not done already)
Once VirtualDJ is opened, a Login Window will appear. Login with your virtualdj.com account’s credentials.
A Pro Infinity or a Pro Subscription License is required to use the Denon DJ SC Live 2. Without any of the above Licenses, the controller will operate for 10 minutes each time you restart VirtualDJ.
A detection windows will appear next verifying proper connection.
Select the SC Live 2 button in order VirtualDJ to apply the pre-defined audio configuration (speakers need to be connected to the rear side of the unit in this case), or Computer if you don't have any speakers to connect to the SC Live 2 and need to output sound from the default sound card of your computer.
Click to OK
The unit is now ready
The unit should be visible in the MAPPING tab of VirtualDJ Settings and the “factory default
” available/selected from the Mappings drop-down list.
The factory default Mapping offers the functions described in this Manual, however those can be adjusted to your needs via VDJ Script actions.
Find more details at https://www.virtualdj.com/wiki/VDJ8script.html
The unit has a pre-defined Audio setup and a special button
in the AUDIO tab of VirtualDJ Settings to provide that.
See also Inputs & Recording.
For further software settings please refer to the User Guide of VirtualDJ. https://www.virtualdj.com/manuals/virtualdj/index.html
The functionality of each button, knob and connection per section (as shown in the image above) will be explained in detail in the next chaptersS SHIFT
: Press and hold this button to access secondary functions of other controls on the SC Live 2A Mixer & Effect Controls B Deck ControlsC PadsD Screen & Browser ControlsE Front & Rear
MIXER & BROWSER CONTROLS
- CROSSFADER. Blends audio between the channels assigned to the left and right side of the crossfader.
- VOLUME. Volume Faders for each Mixer channel
- CUE/PFL. Use these buttons to send Left/Right channel's pre-fader signal to the Cue Channel for monitoring. When engaged, the buttons will be lit.
- SWEEP FX Use the buttons  to select a Color FX then use the knobs to apply the selected Color FX to a mixer channel
- SWEEP FX SELECT Select a Sweep/Color FX then use the SWEEP FX knobs to apply a VirtualDJ Color FX. The pre-defined are Filter, Echo, Flanger and Noise, but others can be selected via custom mapping or directly from VirtualDJ GUI (Mixer panel)
- 3-BAND EQ . Use this knob to adjust the Low (bass) / Middle (mid) / High (treble) frequencies of each mixer channel.
Note The device is offering Full Stems controls. See details at EQ Modes
- LEVEL. Adjusts the audio level (gain) of the Left/Right Mixer channel.
- SPEAKER/BOOTH. Use this knob to adjust the volume of the built-in speaker. Use the on/off switcher to turn the built0in speaker on/off. Note that the output level of the Speaker is related to the Main output level.
- MIC Use the knobs to adjust the output volume of Microphone input. Use the ON button to turn the Microphone input on/off. Hold SHIFT down and then press ON to enable/disable the Talk-over mode. When enabled, the Master output volume will be reduced if a signal is detected from a Microphone input.
Note : This input is not part of the USB Audio Interface and controlled by the hardware, but its signal can be recorded along with your mix. See Advanced Setup
- PHONES MIX Use this knob to blend Master Output signal with the Channels that have the CUE/PFL buttons enabled. When the knob is at the minimum position, only audio coming from the channels that have CUE/PFL enabled will be sent to Headphones. When in maximum position only audio signal from Master Output will be sent to the Headphones channel.
- PHONES LEVEL Adjust the Volume of the Headphones Channel.
- SPLIT CUE Use this button to send Master Output signal to one side of the Headphones and the CUE/PFL channels to the other one.
- MASTER LEVEL. Adjust the level of the Master Output. Hardware operation, but movement visible in VirtualDJ GUI. The VU meter leds below indicate the output level of the Master Output.
- FX SELECT. Turn left/right to select the previous/next available Effect for the Decks or Master. Push to get a list of the available Effects on the SC Live 2 screen UI, scroll to the desired effect and then push again to close the list. The same Effect will be selected for all Decks
- FX ASSIGN Use these buttons to assign the selected Effect to Decks 1, 2 or Master.
- FX TIME/PARAMETER. Adjust the 2nd Parameter of the selected Effect, usually the Beats value. Push the encoder and then turn to adjust the 3rd Parameter (if available). Push again to return to the control of the 2nd Parameter.
- FX WET/DRY. Adjust the 1st Parameter of the selected Effect, usually the Strength value.
- FX ON. Press this button to enable/disable the selected effect to the assigned Deck or Master
SSHIFT: Press and hold this button to access secondary functions of other controls on the SC Live 2
- PLAY. Plays / Pauses the track. Hold SHIFT down and then press this button to "stutter-play" the track from the last set Cue Point.
- CUE. When the Deck is paused, you can set a temporary Cue Point by moving the Platter to place the Audio Pointer at the desired location and then pressing the Cue Button.
During playback, you can press the Cue Button to return the track to this Cue Point. (If you did not set a Cue Point, then it will return to the beginning of the track.).
If the Deck is paused, you can press and hold the Cue Button to play the track from the Temporary Cue Point. Releasing the Cue Button will return the track to the temporary Cue Point and pause it.
To continue playback without returning to the Temporary Cue Point, press and hold the Cue Button, then press and hold the Play Button, and then release both buttons.
Press and hold SHIFT and then press this button to return to the beginning of the track.
- BEAT JUMP. Use these buttons to seamlessly move track forward/backwards by the selected amount of beats as shown on the SC Live 2 screen. Hold SHIFT down and then use these buttons to select a smaller/larger amount of beats
- TRACK SKIP. Use the Left Track Skip button to jump to the beginning of the track. Double-press the same button to load the previous track from the Browser List.
Use the Right Track Skip button to load the next track from the Browser List.
- CENSOR. Press this button down to play the track in reverse. When the button is released, the track will continue playing from the position it would have been if never used (CENSOR)
Hold SHIFT down and then press this button to play the track in reverse mode.
- LOOP IN/OUT . Press the IN button to set current position as the Start point (Loop In) of a manual loop. When a Loop is enabled, press this button to set Jogwheel to Loop In Adjust mode and use the Jogwheel to fine adjust the position of the Loop In point in time.
Press the OUT button to set current position as the End point (Loop Out) of a manual loop. When a Loop is enabled, press this button to set Jogwheel to Loop Out Adjust mode and use the Jogwheel to fine adjust the position of the Loop Out point in time.
- LOOP AUTO. Turn this encoder left/right to half/double the size of the Loop in beats. Push the encoder to enable an auto-loop of the selected size in beats or push to exit the loop.
When Track is in Loop, hold SHIFT and then turn the encoder to move the loop backwards/forward by 1 beat
- JOG. Touch sensitive jogwheel. Use the jogwheel to scratch (if Vinyl mode is selected) or pitch bend. The Jogwheel also offers Loop In and Loop Out point adjustment (see above Loop In/Out keys)
Hold SHIFT and then use the Jogwheel to fast search through the track.
- VINYL. Press this button to set the Jogwheel to Vinyl (Scratch) or CD (Bend) mode. In Vinyl mode, use the outer part of the Jogwheel to bend (temporary speed up – slow down the tempo of the track).
- SYNC. Press this button to automatically match the corresponding Deck's tempo and phase with the opposite Deck's (or the Master Deck’s if using a 4 decks Skin) tempo and phase. Hold SHIFT down and then press this button to set this deck as Master Deck. While SHIFT is held down, the Master Deck's SYNC button will be lit.
When the LED blinks, it means that the manual Master Deck selection mode is active (i.e. you had manually selected the Master Deck). Press the flashing button to revert back to the Auto-selection Master Deck mode and let VirtualDJ to decide which Deck is Master mostly based on the deck that is playing out live.
- KEYLOCK. Press this button to "lock" the track's pitch to its original key. The track's tempo will remain at the speed designated by the Pitch Fader.
Hold this button for more than 1 second to match deck's key with the key value of the opposite deck
Hold SHIFT down and then use this button to reset the key of the track to it's original value
- PITCH. Adjust the track's playback speed (tempo). When pitch is at the middle position (track is playing at its original speed), the white center LED will be lit.
- PITCH BEND. Press and hold these buttons down to temporary speed up/slow down the song while pressed. When released, the track playback will return to the speed designated by the Pitch Fader.
Hold SHIFT down and then use this button to select the previous/next available % range of the Pitch Fader
- SLIP. Press this button to enable/disable Slip mode. When enabled, several actions like scratching, Hotcues, Loops etc will act temporary, and the track will resume playing from the position it would have been if the action was never triggered.
Hold this button down for more than 1 second to enter Beat-Grid adjust mode, then use the one-screen buttons and jogwheel to to manually and/or fine-adjust the Beat-Grid of the Track. Press again to exit this mode.
- PADS 4 blue-lit Performance Pads offering functionality depending on the selected Pad mode.
- PAD MODES. Use these buttons to select one of the 6 available modes for the Pads.
When moving from one Pad mode to another (first press of the Pad mode button), the primary Pad modes will be offered: Hotcues, Saved Loops and Loop Rolls
When one of the primary modes is selected, press the same Pad mode button again (2nd press) to get one of the secondary Pad modes :KeyCue, Auto Loops, and Sampler
Each time a mode is selected, a Page will be selected and displayed on the Pads section of the default VirtualDJ skin
The default pre-selected Pages can be changed to your preference. See .. https://www.virtualdj.com/manuals/virtualdj/interface/decks/decksadvanced/pads.html#controller
- BANK When turned off, the Pad buttons  will offer the functionality assigned to Pads 1 to 4. When turned on, the Pad buttons  will offer the functionality assigned to Pads 5 to 8.
- PARAMETER < > Use these buttons to adjust the Parameter 1 (if available) of the selected Pads page
Hold SHIFT down and then use these buttons to adjust the Parameter 2 (if available) of the selected Pads page
SCREEN & BROWSER CONTROLS
- LIGHTING : Show/Hide the Pads Page information on the SC Live 2 screen UI.
- SOURCE : Open the SC Live 2 Settings view on the SC Live 2 screen.
- VIEW : Toggles between Browser view (Large Browser - mini Decks) and Decks view (Full Decks) on the SC Live 2 screen.
- SCREEN : 7" touch-screen.
- BACK : Sets Browser focus to Folders list. If focus is on Folders, open/close sub-folders
- FWD : Toggles Browser focus between Songs list and Sideview.
Hold SHIFT down and then use this button to cycle through the available Sideview tabs (Automix, Sidelist, Karaoke, Sampler etc)
- BROWSE : Scrolls through Files and Folders in the focused Browser list.
Push the encoder to toggle between Songs list and Sideview.
Hold SHIFT down and then push the encoder to add the selected Track to the Automix list.
Hold SHIFT down and then use this encoder to zoom in/out the vertical Scratchwave
- LOAD : Loads the selected track from Browser to the Left/Right assigned Deck.
Double-fast-press this button to clone the Track (and its position, tempo, playing status) from the other Deck to the called one.
Hold SHIFT down to unload the Deck
SC Live 2 has a fully functional and customize-able 7" touch-screen offering all the information needed for your mix. The default GUI for the screen will be automatically downloaded the first time you connect the device to a computer running VirtualDJ (Internet connection is required at least for the 1st time)
The default GUI of SC Live 2 offers a main 2 Decks view, along with views for Large Browser and Settings.
Use the VIEW
button to toggle between the selected Decks view and the Large Browser view (with Mini Decks) Denon SC Live 2 Screen - Decks view Denon SC Live 2 Screen - Decks Zoom Browser view
Denon SC Live 2 Screen - Deck view
Denon SC Live 2 Screen - Mini Deck view 1Deck number. The vertical line indicates when the Deck is selected as Left/Right (and controlled from the Deck panel of the device)2Track's Title, Remix and Artist. 3Track's progress wave with Hotcues markers. Can be locked from Settings to prevent accidental taps4Track's musical key information. Key value can be displayed in Harmonic or Camelot view. Line is colored based on the key value. The MATCH text will be highlighted when Track's key matches the key of the other Deck.
Tap this area to get more key controls at the Deck info area.5Current Loop size in beats. 6Current Beat-Jump size in beats. 7Track's Times (Total, Elapsed/Remain). Tap the Elapsed/Remain Time area to toggle between the 2 views.8Track's Tempo information : Current BPM, Pitch, Pitch range%, 9Custom (User) buttons. See how to assign https://www.virtualdj.com/manuals/virtualdj/interface/decks/decksadvanced/custombuttons.html
EFFECTS Denon SC Live 2 Screen - Effects 10Displays the selected Effect11Displays the Deck or Master of the selected Effect12Displays the 1st Parameter of the selected Effect - adjusted by the AMOUNT knob13Displays the 2nd Parameter of the selected Effect - adjusted by the PARAM/TIME knob14Displays the 3rd Parameter of the selected Effect - adjusted by the PARAM/TIME knob
BROWSER Denon SC Live 2 Screen - Folders view Denon SC Live 2 Screen - Songs List view Denon SC Live 2 Screen - Sideview (Automix) view 15Expand Browser (Large Browser with Mini Decks view) or go back to Normal Decks view.16Select to view the Folders List.17Select to view the Songs List.18Select to view the Sideview. Tap again to cycle through the available lists of Sideview (Automix, Sidelist, Karaoke, Sampler and Shortcuts.19Text Options. Tap to show/hide buttons to enlarge/reduce the Font size and 3 levels of Line padding20Add the selected Folder or Track(s) to Automix list.21Add the selected Folder or Track(s) to Sidelist list.22Add the selected Folder or Track(s) to Karaoke list.23Tap to get the On-Screen Keyboard and search for tracks in your Library24Tap to start/stop the Automix or Karaoke mode , depending on the Sideview list.25Tap to get a menu with Options for Automix, Karaoke or other Sideview list.26Tap for Sideview Options (show/hide tabs, add shortcuts)
The Waves area will display the horizontal Scratch waves of the Left and Right assigned Deck. The waves can be locked (from accidental touch) or displayed in different colors and types, depending on the settings that can be found in the WAVES tab of SETTINGS view
[Press the [SOURCE]
button to get the SETTINGS view. Press the SOURCE button again to go back to the Decks view.
Various settings are offered to adjust views, Waves, Browser behavior etc. and their values will be kept across sessions. A description of each setting is displayed at the bottom of the view, each time you tap, select or change a setting.
The Settings view will also offer a button to revert to Standalone mode
, without exiting VirtualDJ. Denon SC Live 2 Screen - Settings view
FRONT & REAR PANELS Denon DJ SC Live 2 - Rear panel
- MIC Connect a microphone to this socket , using a 1/4" cable. The audio signals of this input is routed directly to the Program Mix and Cue Mix. The level of the Microphone Input is controlled from the top-left panel
- MASTER OUT (Balanced - XLR): Connect this low-impedance XLR output to a PA system or powered monitors. The level of this output is controlled with the Master Level knob on the top panel.
- MASTER OUT 2 (RCA): Use standard RCA cables to connect this output to a speaker or amplifier system. The level of this output is controlled by the Master Level knob on the top panel.
- SD CARD. Insert an SD Card as a storage device.
- USB 1/2. Connect USB storage devices in the ports of this USB hub. Keep in mind that the devices connected to these ports will not be available as computer devices, when the SC Live 2 is on Standalone (Engine) mode.
- USB B. Use the provided USB type B to type A cable to connect the device with a USB port of a computer. This USB connection sends and receives audio and control information from a connected computer.
- POWER ON/OFF: Use the included AC/DC power adapter to connect SC Live 2 to a power outlet. While the power is switched off, plug the cable into unit first, and then plug the cable into a power outlet.
Use the Power Switch to turn the unit on and off. Turn on unit after all input devices have been connected and before you turn on amplifiers. Turn off amplifiers before you turn off unit
Denon DJ SC Live 2 - Front panel
- HEADPHONES SOCKET. Connect your 1/4" or 1/8" headphones to this output for cueing and mix monitoring.
INPUTS & RECORDING
The Denon DJ SC Live 2 offers a Microphone input (connection at the rear panel) and controls at the top-left panel. This input is not part of the USB Audio Interface, and cannot be included in VirtualDJ Audio setup. None of the Mic controls of the device will control mic-related VDJ actions or GUI buttons and vice-versa.
Even though all Mic controls of SC Live 2 send Midi messages and could be assigned to any VDJ script action, it is strongly advised not to do so, as the hardware operation will still apply.
The Denon DJ SC Live 2 offers a dedicated Record input
and this is part of the default Audio setup. As long as the setup is as per the following image, your mix will be recorded including the signal from the Microphone input.
If for some reason you don't want the Microphone input to be recorded, or the recorded signal is low, you can remove this line and your mix will still be recorded. Record Input - SC Live 2 Default Audio setup
The Denon SC Live 2 can operate either in Computer mode
(using VirtualDJ or other supported DJ application), or in Standalone mode
using the integrated Engine OS. However there is no back-to-back operation or an easy changeover between the 2 modes, as you will need to "close" one system first, before you "open" the other one.
For further Technical features and specifications, visit Denon DJ SC Live 2
Hardware Integration Department 2022 - ATOMIX PRODUCTIONS Reproduction of this manual in full or in part without written permission from Atomix Productions is prohibited.