Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Time Code CD Issue

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I'm using Windows Vista Premium Home, with M-Audio Sound card, 2 GIGs of Ram, external HD, and the pro version of VDJ with pro series time codes in Pioneer CDJ 800s. Issues I'm having with version 5.7. Everything is hooked up and turned on.

1. Upon start up program turntables are turning, not able to stop them (. (takes several reboots to clear it up) No time code signal in config setup.
2. End of a 5 hour gig no control of program when using time codes.

Posted Sun 17 Feb 08 @ 5:57 pm
Paz75PRO InfinityMember since 2006
one test: plug your cdjs into your mixer normally. turn both channels on the cdjs up to full and crank the gain and master. do not play any music at all, but just let it amplify nothing for a period of time. listen for any strange noises that occur that should not exist, ie a hum, crackle or buzz. timecodes react negatively when a signal due to ground hum, no ground or dirty power exists. that would be the first thing i would make sure you dont have before assuming other things.

repeat the process for your sound card connected to the mixer.

not a solution, but a symptom to isolate which could veritably explain both your problems.

Posted Mon 18 Feb 08 @ 9:45 am
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Which/what model is the M-Audio sound card?

Posted Mon 18 Feb 08 @ 2:26 pm
he's using the soundcard that comes with Torq

Posted Tue 19 Feb 08 @ 10:40 am
Paz 75,

I tried your suggestion, it didn't work. I hooked up my backup laptop (it has XP) no problems. Could be a Vista issue.

Posted Tue 19 Feb 08 @ 11:38 pm
bump

Posted Fri 22 Feb 08 @ 2:01 pm
i dont know why many use vista when vista is the worst..... XP has better latency and is more stable. You get less distortion too. XP is recomended by the pros.. I had vista and tried to configure it. I was trying for 2 weeks and no solution. I switched over to XP and all the problems dissapeared. There is one that effects virtual dj users even with xp and that is..., you need to buy an electrical outlet wire checker. It checks to see if the outlet wires are correct. Here are the problems, many halls, clubs or even at home have. The wiring may be .... Open ground, open neutral, open hot, hot/ground reversed, hot/neutral reveresed or its ok in some outlets... These things may cause bad time code readings and you will get distortion. You would have to raise up the milliseconds in the latency or put in auto so the time code waves would fill up the whole screen on each side. I use the meter and a power strip with a uilt in EMI noise filter to filter out electrical noise.

Posted Sun 24 Feb 08 @ 11:50 pm
Caliente123 wrote :
i dont know why many use vista when vista is the worst..... XP has better latency and is more stable. You get less distortion too. XP is recomended by the pros.. I had vista and tried to configure it. I was trying for 2 weeks and no solution. I switched over to XP and all the problems dissapeared. There is one that effects virtual dj users even with xp and that is..., you need to buy an electrical outlet wire checker. It checks to see if the outlet wires are correct. Here are the problems, many halls, clubs or even at home have. The wiring may be .... Open ground, open neutral, open hot, hot/ground reversed, hot/neutral reveresed or its ok in some outlets... These things may cause bad time code readings and you will get distortion. You would have to raise up the milliseconds in the latency or put in auto so the time code waves would fill up the whole screen on each side. I use the meter and a power strip with a uilt in EMI noise filter to filter out electrical noise.

On your First point I can say you are right and wrong... I have 3 systems and some of them Vista is the way to go and then the other Vista sucks. I think if you are havin problems with XP try Vista. Now we arent talkin about the store bought crap installs of OS like you get with a HP or anything cause you WILL have better performance with a FRESH OEM version anyday with UPDATED drivers.

On your second point, man you are absolutely correct, check those outlets. Dont know how many are wired backwards, or without ground. Also to add, get yourself a UPS (battery backup) man those are nice.

Posted Mon 25 Feb 08 @ 3:12 am
Whats Up discobrian, How You Doin..... I was using the Vista version that My dell supplied.

Posted Mon 25 Feb 08 @ 7:33 pm
funnyb0nzPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2006
Basically what discobrain is saying is that any computer you buy from retailer is that is comes loaded with many more applications and drivers installed (that really dont need to be there) slows computer down. On a fresh OEM install of XP if you do a ctrl+alt+del you typically get 24-29 processes. This is ideal.

Posted Sat 01 Mar 08 @ 11:37 pm
After doing some changes to my OS using the following link. http://www.audioforums.com/windows-vista-optimization.php
I connected all gear, powered up my Compaq laptop (2 GIG of RAM), opened VDJ. I'm using M-Audio (Torq Model USB soundcard, Pioneer CDJ 800's, The new Time Codes CDs, Pioneer 3000 Mixer. One of the tables in the program is spinning. I have no control over it. Reboot several times to clear. VDJ is up dragged song to table and its playing backwards, went to config menu and configured. Music is playing until I walked across the stage and back, static buildup touched the mixer, no sound , table is still spinning. Reboot. Up and running. Something fell on the floor, same thing, table spins no sound, another reboot. Program required several reboots during the night for no reason, then I started having to reboot the laptop. Nothing unusual in the tweaks

Posted Mon 03 Mar 08 @ 3:42 pm
OK mixmaster, I use to have somewhat of the same setup, so this is all I can recommend right now. First off, make sure that all your background applications are turned off. Meaning turn off all non-related microsoft applications before trying to run vdj. Second, your like the 10th, or 11th person I know that had problems with that M-audio Torq soundcard because I still own mine and I'm trying to get rid of it. Honestly I would either try diagnosing the problem on only one deck instead of two, and make sure under your performance tab that its set to 0, and the preset fader is under the fastest, with safemode and overclock unchecked. on your inputs of the sound make sure you have one deck selected, then under outputs make sure you have external mixer selected, and under soundcard, m-audio torq, and driver is asio. See if you get the same problem. If you dont then try both decks, just remembering for your inputs to change it into two decks instead of one. But I think the big reason could be the conflict in soundcards.

Heres my two cents, I tried using the m-audio torq soundcard, and had all kinds of problems with setup. It would work, then stop working, or work, then crash on me. I'm running two gigs of ram, 160gb harddrive, and windows xp media center as my OS. Now I also own the herc mk2, so what I did was, just uninstall the drivers for the torq, and unstill torq completely. I plugged my mk2 back in, downloaded asio4all. plugged my decks back into the port, and problem solved. Only thing is that I been trying to figure out for the longest time, is why is it when I use master tempo on the cdjs there is a jittery watery sound. I can scratch fine, mix fine, run everything smooth for a long time, but just when blending on decks rather than through vdj there is that sound when master tempo is turned on the cdjs.

So try what everyone else is saying and try what I'm saying, if you continue to get problems, I would say your problem is the soundcard itself. Because I know from my own experience, thats what happened.
Oh one last thing, even though this might not make a difference, try adjusting the latency of the m-audio torq which is located in your control panel, with an icon of a white arrow going to the right and red circle over it.

Posted Wed 12 Mar 08 @ 11:07 am
Issue fixed. Checked the M-Audio program and it wasn't connecting thus the timecodes not working (sometimes it would work for awhile). Recheck device manager for the sound card, Microsoft provided driver had replaced the Torq driver. Reinstalled Torq driver. Weird, I don't know how it was working for hours before, oh well It works now. Thanks all for your inputs, got my laptop optimized. Its always the simple things.

Posted Mon 17 Mar 08 @ 8:15 pm
Can I use tine code with windows10

Posted Tue 03 Jan 17 @ 8:37 pm
mr dakes wrote :
Can I use tine code with windows10

Yes you can. However you will need to have the Virtual dj pro infinity licence.

Posted Tue 03 Jan 17 @ 8:50 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)