Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: MAC MINI

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

OKay So I'm thinking of crossing over.

Couple of questions.

These new MAC MINI's they only have 64MB of internal grafics and no expansion slots.

http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0926INGFS10079839&catid=22154

Will they be able to run video, and do all the 3D transfers?
Am I stuck buying an external aduio card, and external video card?
I already plan on buying External Hard Drives - One for audio and one for video.

ONe Thing I'm very Disapointed about is the DAC2 is useless in MAC - No drivers

DJ Marcel
Purple Onion NightClub

Posted Thu 08 Feb 07 @ 5:17 pm
As I have pointed out on several of these threads, ANY computer (Mac or windows) with "integrated graphics" is probably not going to be good for handling the video aspects of VDJ smoothly, especially the video transitons.

In my opinion you should really consider a Mac with a dedicated graphics card like the iMac. It looks like just a screen but it's the entire computer and has pretty much the same specs as a MacBook Pro but at nearly half the price.

I've seen alot of people toting these around to coffee shops, bookstore, etc, because they're not that obstructive. They've got a very small footprint and a slim profile: http://www.apple.com/imac/

However, there have been reports of VDJ users using a MacBook (not MacBook Pro) which also uses integrated graphics and they say that it works fine. I, as well as anewsome, don't think that this would be the case for really smooth transitions and/or playback at the high level that we prefer, but you might want to ask the people who say it works.

- VT ConQuest
(Visual Turntablist)

Posted Thu 08 Feb 07 @ 6:19 pm
[quote=ConQuest]
However, there have been reports of VDJ users using a MacBook (not MacBook Pro) which also uses integrated graphics and they say that it works fine. I, as well as anewsome, don't think that this would be the case for really smooth transitions and/or playback at the high level that we prefer, but you might want to ask the people who say it works.
[quote]

i've seen vdj perform on an otherwise high spec computer and shared graphics. this is not what i would consider a professional solution. do you get a picture on your screen and it works? probably? but "working" and working well can be a pretty big gap at times. i'd like to see a shared graphics machine under heavy mixing, scratching, effects and transitions while using videos with high impact. i'm pretty certain a shared graphics system won't hold up in this case. conquest and i both agree about that.

Posted Thu 08 Feb 07 @ 7:30 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)