Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: macbook vs macbook pro??

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

will the specs on this mac book be sufficient for video?

13.3" MacBook Intel Core 2 Duo 2GHz White 2GB/80GB/SD
Intel Core 2 Duo 2GHz, 2GB DDR2, 80GB SATA/100, Intel GMA 950 graphics 64MB, 13.3" TFT 1280x800, SuperDrive(DVD+-R/CD-RW), Gigabit Ethernet, 802.11g WLAN, Bluetooth, Mac OS X v10.4 Tiger

If not what specs should i look for?

Posted Tue 06 Feb 07 @ 10:12 pm
djallstyle wrote :
will the specs on this mac book be sufficient for video?

13.3" MacBook Intel Core 2 Duo 2GHz White 2GB/80GB/SD
Intel Core 2 Duo 2GHz, 2GB DDR2, 80GB SATA/100, Intel GMA 950 graphics 64MB, 13.3" TFT 1280x800, SuperDrive(DVD+-R/CD-RW), Gigabit Ethernet, 802.11g WLAN, Bluetooth, Mac OS X v10.4 Tiger

If not what specs should i look for?

You'll need to get a macbook pro. Macbooks have integrated (not dedicated) graphics with shared memory. This won't work for smooth video mixing, unless you don't care about smoothness.

Macbook pro has dedicated graphics with discrete memory at 128 or 256MB. I recommend maxing out the video on your macbook pro and that should be sufficient.

Trust me when I tell you though, Macbook will not be good enough for video, at least not using VDJ. In my opinion, for the cost of the macbook pro, the imac starts to look like a real nice option at half the price and better performance.

Posted Tue 06 Feb 07 @ 11:38 pm
MacBook Pro.

You're gonna want a dedicated graphics card, not just for VDJ/VV, but think of other reasons like editing your own videos, gaming, etc.

If this is going to be you're primary computer, then make sure that you can handle the most difficult tasks that you are doing now, but more importantly, since Macs in general have longer life expectancy than windows pc's for people that don't want to have to deal with constant maintenance among other issues (I know you said you're not a computer guru "djallstyle" which is ver different from someone like myself or anewsome), the difficult tasks you are going to be getting into 4-6 years down the line.

- VT ConQuest
(Visual Turntablist)

Posted Wed 07 Feb 07 @ 12:46 am
anewsome & conquest thanks!! :) I can't get out of buying the hella expensive macbook pro. I was just hopeful, I guess I will cough up the extra coins for the pro. I purchased & returned one because I felt guilty about the purchase & my buddy called my a day later to offer me his G4 powerbook. However I will run full steam with the pro Thanks again!!

Posted Wed 07 Feb 07 @ 1:42 am
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004
imagine a macbook as the equivlant to a pentium d laptop and a macbook pro to a i2000 £ intel duo core xps laptop

Posted Wed 07 Feb 07 @ 12:38 pm
dydy1PRO InfinityMember since 2006
My new Macbook with boot camp, window xp professional, service pack 2 runs Virtual Dj Videos vrey smoothly. my hardrive is 120, memory is 1 gb. Macbook, is just great for me. It gets the job done. The sound is just so much better than my other two pc laptops.

Posted Wed 07 Feb 07 @ 8:08 pm
dydy1 wrote :
My new Macbook with boot camp, window xp professional, service pack 2 runs Virtual Dj Videos vrey smoothly. my hardrive is 120, memory is 1 gb. Macbook, is just great for me. It gets the job done. The sound is just so much better than my other two pc laptops.

you forgot to mention that you're not mixing videos. an important thing to omit.

Posted Wed 07 Feb 07 @ 8:52 pm
dydy1PRO InfinityMember since 2006
anewsome, you have just made a mistaked there brother. I too mix videos with my stylish and robust mcbook contrary to popular belief.

Video mixing as well on macbook. It works like a charm. I am a apple Inc. satisfied customer so far!! to be continued!!! So long Delll ! A jamais ! See you never!

Posted Wed 07 Feb 07 @ 11:29 pm
I'm gonna' guess you're not mixing off your desktop... video out of the macbook doesn't work #1, and #2, overlay and all that doesn't work....

the macbook only has 64 mb shared memory... It cannot mix videos smoothly, it's not capable of it...

now just running the small window on your desktop, that's a different story..... but that does you no good..

Posted Thu 08 Feb 07 @ 12:46 am
dydy1 wrote :
anewsome, you have just made a mistaked there brother. I too mix videos with my stylish and robust mcbook contrary to popular belief.

Video mixing as well on macbook. It works like a charm. I am a apple Inc. satisfied customer so far!! to be continued!!! So long Delll ! A jamais ! See you never!

i've seen video mixing on a system with similar specs and it was nowhere near what *I* would call smooth video mixing. if it looks good to you and performance is at your expectations, then i'm glad it worked out for you.

Posted Thu 08 Feb 07 @ 12:48 am
dydy1 wrote :
I am a apple Inc. satisfied customer so far!! to be continued!!! So long Delll ! A jamais ! See you never!

If only I had a penny for every dell customer who has told me they feel the same way over the past 4 years. I'd be as rich as billy g. and have the added bonus of not being a white collar criminal! =)

Now cue the "billy is a humanitarian argument". =P

Posted Thu 08 Feb 07 @ 6:47 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)