Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Do macs overheat?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I know everybody's saying how good they are, but they're only machines right?

Last night my laptop gave up for a while, which i'm sure is due to overheating (it was very hot!) (and i have it on 1" hight feet and a fan blowing onto the underside of it.) So am i going to get similar problems if i get a mac?

Would be interested to hear from anybody's had experience with a mac book pro or an imac in a hot and sweaty nightclub.

Thanks.

Andy.

Posted Tue 06 Feb 07 @ 11:09 am
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004
yes all computers overheat need to keep them airated and apply the proper cooling methods such as laptop plates , fans thermal gel

check for more info in the hardware forum :)

Posted Tue 06 Feb 07 @ 2:58 pm
:: andy taylor :: My MAC gets hot enough to fry an egg on. Although...Ive never had it shut down because of the heat *knocks on wood*. I use a Powerbook though, and when I use it for work I use a cooler (usually the bad a$$ iCurve). As far as I know, you can download a fan controller for the Intel Based MACs which cools them down significantly. Always use a cooler when you run a "power program" for an extended period of time.

My brother runs SSL on his PC Lappy. He had create his own cooler/stand out of a smaller bax fan do it overheating. Its the ghetto_ist stand cooler Ive ever seen, wish I could post a picture. Good old DELL...

Posted Tue 06 Feb 07 @ 3:58 pm
Just use this fan utility http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/23049 which I use (probably the one that C5 is referring to as well), elevate the notebook (I too use the iCurve which has now been replaced by the "Elevator" http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/elevator/) and you'll be fine.

The aircraft grade anodized aluminum material that Apple uses in for it's MacBook Pro (and Mac Pro) professional line of Macs dissipates heat MUCH better than the cheap plastics that many windows pc manufacturers use. That is a big benefit especially now that laptops are getting desktop performance level processor and getting smaller encloures.

it is rare to see a MacBook Pro user using more than a simple form of elevation as opposed to the gawd awful fan based cooling pads and stuff that windows pc users absolutely require.

- VT ConQuest
(Visual Turntablist)

Posted Tue 06 Feb 07 @ 9:56 pm

video showing overheat damage

video showing fan failure due to overheat
its important to make sure ur pc or mac gets air ;)

Posted Wed 07 Feb 07 @ 12:46 pm

Posted Wed 07 Feb 07 @ 3:54 pm
Thanks for the info everyone. :)

I'd guess that the slightly larger imac is going to be better than a laptop for cooling then.

Posted Wed 07 Feb 07 @ 3:59 pm
Sky-

Any MacBook Pro beyond revision D models of the first generation (NOT Core 2) introduced early last summer have had those issues resolved. A few MacBooks (NOT Pro) had shipped from the assembly line with a plastic liner used to keep dust out from the internal components still in place, which happened to cover the heat emission fan slots.\

Those issues for both those Macs have been addressed. I run my MacBook Pro with a simple iCurve (now called Elevator) and the free SMC Fan Control utility and that's it. I use it in tight spots as well. No overheating whatsoever.

However, I'm not arguing that if you have the option to use other hardware or utilities to cool your Mac that you shouldn't, just that you don't have to, unlike most windows computers that use cheap materials for their enclosures, even on their "pro" lines.

Posted Thu 08 Feb 07 @ 7:04 am
processors get hot , thats just the way of life :)

macs may dissapate heat better but if they arnt given proper air flow they will crash eventualy 2

just need to always ensure the air flow on all systems , regardless its a mac , cd player or a self denoating dell laptop battery :)

Posted Thu 08 Feb 07 @ 12:19 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)