Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: You can always install OSX on a PC too

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

PearlPC does it, WMware does it, and even OSX clean intall (intel version) does it, with dual boot... Just google for "os x86 project"

Posted Tue 30 Jan 07 @ 11:48 pm
Yeah, this is no real secret. It's been out since before Boot Camp.

But many people who have done this end up having the same tyoical windows complaints about hardware not working because they don't have drivers for their pc hardware, etc. ... DUH! ;)

So with this you can now have ALL the "fun" of Mac OS X AND windows incompatability, and therfore, instability!

=P

Posted Wed 31 Jan 07 @ 12:04 am
jchiarPRO InfinityMember since 2005
i agree whole heartedly.

Posted Wed 07 Feb 07 @ 4:39 am
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004
i think if mac released a stable version for pc hardware

windows would be crying.

Posted Wed 07 Feb 07 @ 12:34 pm
skyfxl wrote :
i think if mac released a stable version for pc hardware

windows would be crying.

The only way that I EVER see this happening (we came close to falling down the generic windows hardware "slippery slope" of incompatability back in 1995-96 until SJ cut that licensing program upon his return to Apple in 1997) is if Apple where to "certify" certain specific configurations or models from other hardware manufacturers.

I personally would LOVE to see Apple have someone like HP and maybe a couple of other trusted manufacturers whom Apple has good relatiions with offer "HP Macs" or such. For example, Sony and Apple are cool computer-wise with Apple having employed several Sony employees over the past decade and a half for various reasons, but Sony is pissed at Apple over the iPod/iTunes success which is why Apple replaced Sony with Motorola to test-market iTunes enabled phones before anouncing their own "iPhone'. But you can BET that Sony has approached Apple about this along with (probably) HP and more than likely EVERY other windows-only pc manufacturer who doesn't want to go down with the sinking windows ship.

Let's just say that's an educated guess on my part: ;)

"Jobs says: Three PC makers are hitting me up for OS X" - Feb. 10, 2005
http://www.engadget.com/2005/02/10/jobs-says-three-pc-makers-are-hitting-me-up-for-os-x/

Afterall, it's NO secret that one of those 3 manufacturers is Michael Dell himself, who publicly stated that he would like to sell Mac OS X based Dell's.

"Dell Wants to Sell OSX PCs"
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1957355,00.asp

Unfortuanately, I believe HELL WILL FREEZE OVER before we would see Apple license Mac OS X to Dell. As a matter of fact, I think if we ever saw Apple license Mac OS X to any manufacturer as I mentioned above, it would be to only a few key ones like HP and Sony SPECIFICALLY TO KILL AND BURY DELL! =D

Posted Thu 08 Feb 07 @ 6:22 pm
Lol "Puttin on the ritz"

Yea but, does that mean that you'd have to find MAC drivers for your IBM hardware, what if they made a MAC driver, wouldn't you just install that and it would run stable???

Posted Thu 08 Feb 07 @ 10:18 pm
dj schmidty wrote :
Lol "Puttin on the ritz"

Yup. "Franken-designed" Mac wannabe's. Gotta love 'em. Then people wonder why their "Macs" don't work like Macs and have windows incompatability issues. =P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGN2aa3oQRM

dj schmidty wrote :
Yea but, does that mean that you'd have to find MAC drivers for your IBM hardware,

Yup. You'd have to find the drivers for your pc's hardware. Granted, there's better 3rd party offerings for computers than what Apple offers stock, but the key to the "Mac experience" is the SEAMLESS INTEGRATION (Quality Control) between Mac OS and it's KNOWN Mac hardware configuration.

dj schmidty wrote :
what if they made a MAC driver, wouldn't you just install that and it would run stable???

Yes. But that's a BIG "if" that more often than not is not the case.

Posted Thu 08 Feb 07 @ 10:35 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)