Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Mac Question - Mini performance (answered)

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hi Everyone -

I've read through a bunch of the previous forums on Mac topics so I am hesitant to post this (and I am not looking to start any controversy), but I am curious:

Is it likely that a beefed up Mini Mac do the job when the Mac VDJ is released? I am planning to max it out with 2GB RAM, 160G HD, 1.83GHz Duo Processor, FW drive for Music & Videos, etc... I also currently use the Herc DJ Console Mk2 and would like to continue doing so.

I realize that other Mac options might perform better, but I am looking at the Mini for other reasons (i.e. already own the displays, laptops are expensive and fragile on the road, drunk girls fall into my booth, my wife thinks its cute, etc)... so really the question is simply will it work or not?

I am a switcher and have never used a Mac before... looking forward to the adventure.

Thanks!

Posted Mon 29 Jan 07 @ 7:23 pm

Mini mac will do audio mixing with VDJ perfectly ;)

But not video mixing, it doesnt have a good video card

Posted Mon 29 Jan 07 @ 7:33 pm
The processing power of the Mac mini is just fine, however the Intel integrated graphics chipset will leave you wanting for a Mac with a dedicated graphics card if you really want to do visuals/video.

Only the Mac mini's, MacBooks, and the "educational" version 17" iMac use integrated graphics. All other Macs have dedicated graphics.

I would HIGHLY suggest at least picking up the lower end 17" iMac (NOT the educational one) if you really want to enjoy the video features of VDJ and/or Virtual Vinyl for Mac.

- VT ConQuest

Posted Mon 29 Jan 07 @ 7:34 pm
I looked at the specs on mini and concluded that it would not be a good choice for video mixing.

Posted Mon 29 Jan 07 @ 7:38 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)