Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Hooking up your Sound system

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hey Guys & Girls,

I'm planning on getting me a DJ Console aswell. I don't have any DJ experience what so ever (unless you consider jamming a volume knob on a soundblaster up and down as a good start ;) However fiddling with the Demo version of several MP3 mixing software packages has made me hunger for more.
Sofar i learned that the ten fingers of your hands are indeed 1000 times more worth as the one button click on your mouse. So that's basically why i'm interested in the DJ Console.

But anyway, i'm wondering about a few things:

a. I already have a soundcard which is connected to a 5.1 speaker set. I plan to use the DJ console when i'm newbie-DJing, but i want to use my normal soundcard when using my pc for other stuff (surfing, games, whatever...) Do i have to switch all speaker outlets between my normal soundcard and the outlets on the DJ console? Cuz if i have to crawl behind my desk each time i want to use the DJ console in order to switch all speaker outlets, i'm afraid i will be loosing interest in using the console rather soon.
Or can i use the DJ Console using my default soundcard where my speakers are set up (leaving the soundcard in the DJ console useless for me)?

b. I can find all kinds of explanations out there on how to use certain software packages or what features they contain, but does anyone know a nice overview of what mixing is all about (independent of the tool you use)? What are the tips and tricks (aside 5 billion hours of practice ;) ?

c. How about some ideas on using your DJ console every night while still being able to be the best friends with your neighbours the next morning?

d. And lastly, does the Hercules DJ Console have any competitors on the market ? Meaning, alike hardware mp3 mixers, without moving on to the professional stuff?

Thanks a bunch for answering!

SilverT

Posted Sat 19 Jun 04 @ 12:24 am
As an answer to your point 'a', with the DJConsole version of VDJ (that comes with the DJConsole...), whatever your default sound card is it will output through the console. You can also set the DJConsole as the default sound card in your PC (it's an excellent 24-bit 5.1 soundcard), so you don't have to switch cables all the time. You can do the same, and much more, with the full version of VDJ.

For your point 'c', what I do to stay 'best friend' with my neighbours, is I output the mix to the speakers at a reasonable volume, and prelisten with headphones (with the DJConsole).

For 'd': you can look on the products page for all the other products currently available that are compatible with VDJ. If your are really serious about this, I would wait for the XP10's to come out, and buy maybe one or two... However if this is just for fun, the DJConsole will do an excellent job (the XP10's are a more professionnal solution to digital DJ'ing.) Here's the products page:

http://www.virtualdj.com/products/hardware.html

Concerning the tips and tricks, there's a forum for that on this website:

http://www.virtualdj.com/forum/topic.html?forum=15

Cheers, have fun, and welcome to the community!

macourteau

Posted Sat 19 Jun 04 @ 12:40 am
What's your current soundcard? Because I can tell you (i had a soundblaster live 5.1), the sound on the DJConsole (whether it's for mixing, gaming or simply listening to music) is FAR better than that of a regular soundcard...

In the DJConsole version of VDJ, the sound WILL come out only from the console. However, this does not apply to the full version: you can have a much more advanced configuration.

macourteau

Posted Sat 19 Jun 04 @ 1:05 am
First of all, silvertear is a FULL virtual DJ user...
So any console version of VDJ don't apply to him/her

(A) You CAN use Hercules + VDJ without using the soundcard inside the console. That means you CAN use DJ Console with your default soundcard where your speakers are set up (leaving the soundcard in the DJ console "useless" for you).
No problem at all :) I guess you have a good soundcard already, since you have a 5.1 soundcard.

(D) There are no other hardware like Hercules, that I have found. In that price area.... It's really a great little thing, having a lot of buttons, sliders, jogwheels to control VDJ.
If you can invest more money, Xp10 would be a more pro solution...

DJ in Norway

Posted Sat 19 Jun 04 @ 3:40 pm
Hey,

I bought VDJ 2.0 yesterday. And i can confirm that you can use your standard soundcard in combination with the console. I must admit however that it took me some fiddling with drivers and settings. But i got it working perfectly like i want. My headphone uses the DJ console and master output is through my Audigy. Everyone that replied: Thanks for the info. Great to see such a helpfull forum. And i had some other setup problems and the VDJ support team helped me out perfectly. Put your hands up in the air for them guys...

Silvertear

Posted Sun 20 Jun 04 @ 7:13 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)