Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: overriding default dj console settings

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

djbambiPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Does anyone know how to do this? I'd like to override the button/action mapping for some actions.

For example, I hate the default "CUE" button behavior. I want it to do an "auto-stop" action instead (like a right-click on stop in a skin, i.e it goes to the first beat of a track).

Also, I wouldn't mind overriding the "track" (don't use them), "Pitch Bend" (use the jog wheel instead, in nudge mode), and "auto-beat" (I beatmatch manually) buttons by something more suitable to my needs, like adjust_cbg4, kill_bass, etc.

The possibilities are endless, but I can't find a way to override. In theory, I should be able to use midi-shortcuts. I tried this to no avail: I enabled Midi in the Remote Control tab, and when creating the shortcut for my first example, it did recognize the "midi-3" signal sent by pressing the CUE button. But during use, the default console CUE behavior was still the one in effect. I was hoping that the midi-protocol signal would take precedence over the console-protocol signal, but it didn't. So I figured what the hell, I'll just disable the DJ Console in the Remote Control tab and map all buttons through midi, hence using the console as a plain midi-controller. That didn't work either, my midi signals are just being ignored and nothing happens...

anyone got a solution to this issue? anyone else cares?

thanks for any feedback...

Posted Thu 17 Jun 04 @ 10:25 pm
that's no problem at all ... :)

The Hercules console got its own mapper program..
Right click on that little green alien icon down in the right corner...and select "DJ CONSOLE MAPPER" ...
That will let you map most functions on the console...
And be sure to select "FILE" and "NEW", so that the default setup is still there. And save any new mapper you make...

So, you can have different preference files for different settings, if u like :)

Hope that helps

Dj in norway

Posted Thu 17 Jun 04 @ 10:54 pm
almost worked :)

so, using the mapper I was able to "add" an action to a button, but not to "replace" it.

for example, for the left-CUE button, I was able to make it perform a "stop" action (i.e. go to the begining of the track and stop there). however it also still sets a cue, so there seems to be some kind of hidden underlying mapping that's transparent to the user.

something great would be a mapping file like the XP10.xml that you can find in your vdj 2.0 folder, but for the dj console instead. I have a feeling it's there somewhere, but in a non-readable and non-modifyable form, maybe embedded in the executable.

anyway, thx for the suggestion, I did get a bit farther and was able to map the pitch-bend buttons to stop and auto-stop functions (because of the problem described above, those were the best candidates), and my console is even more usable now.

Nicolas

Posted Fri 18 Jun 04 @ 11:04 pm
djzeroPRO InfinityMember since 2003
now that the console has midi compatability you should be able to untick the dj console option in vdj and just set up the keys through midi. (you may only be able to do this in the full version).
i dont own one but give it a try.

Posted Sat 19 Jun 04 @ 2:14 pm
chabonkPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Has anyone figured this out? Overriding default button settings? I'll give it a shot tonight.

Posted Tue 29 Jun 04 @ 3:23 am
I think you can use the mapper to map the controls you want, but (I'm not sure about this -- I didn't try it) I think you also have to disable the DJConsole in the options, and use it solely as a MIDI device (you can use it as a soundcard too, but you can't use the built-in functions).

I believe that this should work because disabling it will remove the actions usually assigned to the buttons, and you can use it as a MIDI controller...

Hope this helps,

macourteau

Posted Tue 29 Jun 04 @ 3:37 am
sorry I hadn't followed up on this, but I actually never found a solution. I had tried what macourteau suggests but unfortunately it didn't work (when I disabled the console, the midi signals from the console were not recognized anymore, but maybe I did something wrong).

For the key mapper, I could add an action to a button, but not override the default dj console action.

got sick of it and stuck with the default. from the xp10 settings page, looks like this kind of stuff is taken care of in the xp10 integration, so i'll wait for that.

in the meantime, if someone finds a way to do it, I'll still be interested :)

Nicolas

Posted Tue 29 Jun 04 @ 6:47 pm
Did you use the integrated mapper, or did you map as a MIDI device in VDJ? Here's a detailed how-to that worked here:

1. Open up the DJConsole Mixer, and set the MIDI source to the DJConsole buttons;
2. Disable the DJConsole in VDJ, and enable MIDI;
3. Map the buttons as you would map any MIDI device (this is done the same way as you would assign a keyboard shortcut).

:)

macourteau

Posted Tue 29 Jun 04 @ 7:57 pm
DJ CyderPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2003
This works but there are a few shortcuts that are messed up and missing the play pause for example dosn't work correctly :( the scroll up down dosn't work right either. Some functions cannot be mapped to midi this is a very poor solution. It needs to be fixed in the program, midi is just a band-aid.

Posted Wed 30 Jun 04 @ 4:46 am
Indeed MIDI is just a 'band-aid', but this helps for people who want to entirely remap the DJConsole...

macourteau

Posted Wed 30 Jun 04 @ 11:53 am
BPM pro use the hercules very good every thing works you don't have to use your mouse ever all VDJ got to do now take out the scracthing option in the stik let us use it for the mouse I don't now why some company out there take some time and come out with a very nice mp3 software controller the hercules is a nice start but if only they had made it rack mount and had a LCD display oh boy! it whould have taken over like the ipod the xp10 is not ganna go too long we need rack mount

Posted Wed 30 Jun 04 @ 4:46 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)