Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Minimum Specification?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

duncsHome userMember since 2004
Hi,

This may not be entirely a question regarding Virtual DJ but it does have some relivance to it so please bare with me.

I have been looking at buying a new sound card for my Laptop as the on board sound is just abysmal. I was looking for one that supported ASIO so that I may use Cubase VST plus other ASIO software I own. While searching the web, I came across the Hercules DJ console as it seems to give me everything I want and lots more. This would add quite nicely to my current software and my Evolution UC-16 control box and would give me a truly portable music composition and performance set up.

I have a Toshiba Tecra 8100 (quite old I know) running a Pentium 650 under Win 2000 pro. it has 512Mb and a 10gb HD.

Now the specs for the Hercules say a minimum spec of a P400 and a recomended spec of a P700. The specs for Virtual DJ (full edition) give a minimum spec of a PIII 850 MhZ computer and a recomended one of a PIV 1.4Ghz.

So, would I be waisting my money buying the Hercules and would be unable to use any of the DJ software on it? Does anyone else run Virtual DJ on a spec like this?

Does the licence for Virtual DJ allow me to install on both my laptop and on my desktop machine (a more powerfull Studio based machine)? I know the software will only run if the Hercules console is pluged and and it will only work with the built in sound of the console - so does the licence belong to the hardware or does it belong to the PC?

Thanks for any help.

Duncs

Posted Mon 16 Feb 04 @ 2:40 am
duncs:

I don't have such a configuration. So I can't say if it will work great or not but you may have troubles. Maybe some others software of the bundle could work easier, but they really less powerfull than VirutalDJ.

Second point, you can use VirtualDJ on differents computers as long as your are the only user.

To test if your computer is strong enough for VirtualDJ, you can try the free demo (it need the same specification):
http://www.virtualdj.com/download.html

Good Mix!
Kaléo

Posted Mon 16 Feb 04 @ 9:53 am
duncsHome userMember since 2004
Thanks.

I downloaded the demo and have had a play with it today. It does have a few problems with slow down (especialy with large files). I guess my pc isn't fully up to spec to cope but as I will not be using if to live performance, its not too much of a problem. For smaller files I seem to have few problems.

I guess my main PC is upto the job with 1.8 Ghz and 768Mb. So I will just have to swap the Console over when doing higher quality mixing and cutting my own music to CD.

So I went and ordered the Console today based upon the quality of the Virtual DJ software. Who knows, if I get in to the product, I will just have to buy the Pro version and a higher spec laptop. :)

I guess I will be around in these forums for some time to come.

Duncs

Posted Mon 16 Feb 04 @ 5:47 pm
Hi,

I'm using the console and vdj se on my intel 600 mhz pIII asus laptop with 384mb ram and it works quite good here

Greetz from a happy vdj user =)

Posted Tue 17 Feb 04 @ 7:13 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)