Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Music discussion

Topic: A couple of hints..............

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

dj2nvHome userMember since 2004
I have had a couple of gigs now with atomix........... ive only had it for 8 months or so, and im not super experienced, but i have picked up a few good little ideas....

1.. For a really controlled mix (supposin the beats are all matched) u really need a external mixer... Even my first mixer, the Numark DM900 Bluedog, was an improvement on atomix's mixer...
2.. Hit F6 in atomix, and disable all the auto bpm stuff, and teach yourself how to beatmatch (DJ Dave Ocean Assisted my learning). Being able to beatmatch by ear, will always give you a more accurate bpm match, and also means u can go onto cd players, or vinyl and mix on it as well.

3.. As songs are usually written in the same, 16 bar format (Im talkin about trance, and house), try dropping the song you are about to mix, from the beginning, @ the end of a breakdown of the song you are mixing out of... this leads to much better, more professional sounding mixes.......

4.. Listen to as many mixes by your peers, look for faults in their mixes, look for effects they use, where they bring a song in, how they bring it in. It helps!!!!

5.. Generally dont try mixing a 130bpm song into a 150bpm song, it usually sounds stupid with master tempo off, and with master tempo on, sound quality is crap.....

These are a few basic tips, but by far the best hint i can give u all, is ENJOY YOURSELF, BECAUSE DJ'IN IS ALL ABOUT A PASSION AND LOVE FOR DANCE MUSIC, and dont let a bad nite put you off ever dj'n again.. we all have our bad nites...

Peace, the world needs it
.::DJ2nV::.

Posted Thu 22 Nov 01 @ 1:35 pm
Thanks for the advice, I have just a couple of questions:

I know you are right when it comes to turning off the auto BPM and then beatmatching by ear but I have two problems with this; First of all, I can't stop myself from looking at the display of the beats whilst I'm mixing on Atomix, so I can still beat match visually which isn't quite the same. Secondly, when I am playing two tunes and the beats aren't in sync, I can't tell whether the pitch of the tune I'm mixing in needs to be highered or lowered, or (in the case of vinyl) whether the tune needs a nudge forward to bring the beat in line with the other tune, or a nudge backwards...

I think I need to get my 3D card working so I can use the monitoring properly in order to be able to discover whether a tune is too fast or too slow and whether the beats are lagging behind or racing ahead of the tune being played out, I suppose that if you can hear the tunes 'separately' while they're mixing, you can easily distinguish the problems above.

Also, I must get an external mixer. What do you think is the cheapest I should pay for one, without buying utter rubbish?

Cheers

James

Posted Thu 22 Nov 01 @ 5:13 pm
I think that it works with the auto bpm mix then I just fix it with my ears with the mouse and bending it too sync it properly.
Of course I have an external mixer(pioneer Djm600) and it worx great in big system,have played in areas like "The Globe" in Sweden...Thanx for your Great product Atomix!
/Dj Freppa (Swe).

Posted Fri 23 Nov 01 @ 1:33 pm
Ive heard, some people cover up the visual display on their monitors.... do watever suits u best...
A trick i have found to work for me, is when you are listenin to the song before mixin, i crank up the gain on my mixer on the channel im misin into, so when beatmatchin thru headfones, i can definitely tell which song is out of sync.

Mixers.....
a few tips..
Pioneer is good, but expensive. Their faders kinda suck too, theyre not all that smooth...

Numarks Leak after not all that much use... I still have the trusty numark DM900 Bluedog (my 1st mixer) it isnt too bad.

OMNITRONIC SUX!!!! i have had 2, and given dem both back...

I now use a Behringer DX500 which i like alot, have a beautiful crossfader, but its sampler isnt that hot...

i have a very weird style of beat matching.. as u would of discovered before..... I like to have both song in my headfones, but the new song far louder then the tune goin out.. it helps me.....

I Have the full version of atomix, and a SB Live Soundcard, with the behringer mixer, is a nice setup... im adding to this a set of Stanton STR8-80 decks..

Cheers!!

P.S. If any1 wants to chat, my msn account is: dj2nv@djsuperstars.com and icq no is: 33590156

Posted Fri 23 Nov 01 @ 2:02 pm
The new Numark bluedog is an alrite lookin mixer,
and so is the smallest behringer mixer.
look into some small gemini mixers, they are supposedly alrite..
Dave Ocean uses a 3 channel Gemini Mixer...

Posted Fri 23 Nov 01 @ 2:05 pm
(nt = no text)

Posted Sun 25 Nov 01 @ 4:42 pm
Soz about that, anyway cheers for the tips Atomix rules!

Posted Sun 25 Nov 01 @ 4:42 pm
Nero, you've been studying... congrats. As far as the mixer advice... Pioneer is great... my DJM300 is only 2 channel, but it is great, the fader is feather light which works great for scratching or fading which ever the situation calls for. My othe mixer is the Numark DM2002-X which also is very nice. The only problem with them is the crossfaders are cheap, but if you replace them with a gold series fader they work quite well....

Posted Thu 29 Nov 01 @ 12:33 am
BEHRINGER MIXERS RULE!!!
I have used a lot of mixers, and nothing in the DX500's price range touches on it!!

Posted Sat 01 Dec 01 @ 2:12 am
is true i also have behringer dx 500, really very very nice, i don't like the sampler though (sound qualoty is poor of the sampler), one more tip, the cheapest behringer: DONT BUY IT, no individual channel band frequencies!!!

Posted Tue 11 Dec 01 @ 12:02 am
I undrerstand that manual beatmaching is an important ability, but are You sure, that manual beatmatching is more accurate than beatmatching made by soft? I wouldn't say that. For example Atomixmp3 is counting BPM to a one place after point and I don't think that anyone could do it more accurate using only own ears and fingers. Isn't it ?

Posted Thu 20 Dec 01 @ 11:41 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)