Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Dj Console - Review of a frustrated customer

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

SharanPRO InfinityMember since 2004
I can only advice everyone who still thinks about buying the Hercules Dj Console NOT to do so!!
After trying it now for several hours i can hardly mix 2 tracks properly into another and believe me this is not the first time i use this kind of stuff.
The tone-control knobs show complete lack of fine-tuning - its almost like either you have the bass turned up to the max or you have killed it completely.
The pitch-control slider sometimes doesnt react at all and then while you are desperately trying to beatmix jumps up or down, thus making mixing not really easy in fact.
Worst thing i encountered so far is that the jog-wheel on one side gets kind of stuck and consequently the track then plays at its slowest possible pace with the effect that your mix is spoiled.
Also i was not really amused about Hercules promising Virtual DJ software and in fact you get a limited crippled version. It would cost more than 100€ to buy the full one. No possibility to upgrade for a reduced price.
Unfortunately use with Traktor which i already have seems not to be possible as well...
Best thing i do is probably to return it and get my money back.

Posted Fri 16 Jan 04 @ 4:59 pm
I have also just bought one. I suffer that same problms however mixing is easy if you do it by ear and dont use the in built BPM counter.

I haven't mixed for 10 years and after turning the gadgets off it was easy to get the mix going. After a few days, it takes only a few bars to find the temp and then fine tune it when playing the track. However I do find the sliding pitch a little to keen and hard to get exact. I tend to get the pitch roughly and use the on screen + and - to finish it.

I do find the jog wheel a pain like you, the cross fader is noth very effective and tend to use the conrol volumes a lot to get it right.

At the end of the day it cost me £120 ($150) which is good to mess about with. If I dont get bored I will purchase proper controlers/mixer.

As for the software, IMO it is the full version, there are no limitations/shareware/featues locked therefore making it a *FULL* working copy as discribed. I think there is a misunderstanding between customers/hercules on what a FULL VERSION actually is!?!?

It is not a crippled version, it is one dedicated to the console. I believe upgrading has little use as the latest version will not function properly with the console.

In summary, not the greatest bit of kit, there are still many, many improvements to be made. However if I had paid a grand for it then I would be moaning. As it stands for little money I am able to mix my mp3's sucessfully and have a laugh, or maybe even do a few house parties with it.

Posted Sat 17 Jan 04 @ 11:09 am
I was maybe a bit too harsh concerning the software, but what you cannot do is download certain skins and effects which i would really love to do so. Also updates as i read in the forums lag behind the "regular" Virtual DJ. Right now the update for v1.08 is not available for Console users, though its been out since mid of December for the full version (with several bug fixes which i think the console would need badly)

I might even get accustomed to the Dj Console in time, when you know its limitations (eg. dont touch the jog-wheels) and accept that its not much more than a playtoy.

Posted Sat 17 Jan 04 @ 1:28 pm
Bad news again... :(
After having the console running all day (without using it though until now) suddenly during mix both jog-wheels just start randomly to pace up the speed or to slow it down and return only back to normal until i touch the wheels again.
Important to mention: without having used them shortly before!! Next week i'll definitely send it back to Hercules and hope i can get a fixed one.
The Dj Console could really be great fun if it would be working as it should. If Hercules made some improvement on the hardware and Virtual Dj would be upgraded to v1.08 - which for instance got a much better BPM detection as 1.07b - it could finally be worth its money.

Posted Sat 17 Jan 04 @ 9:07 pm
The issue of the hyper active jog wheels is already known. Look in the forum, search for example on "Jog wheel". There is also a solution: Send the unit back to Hercules. They "Reprogram" the console, solving the issue with the jogs. Before you send them back, you have to get a RMA number. You could get one on the hercules site.
Ewout

Posted Sun 18 Jan 04 @ 9:07 pm
KayleHome userMember since 2003
...so stop blaming Virtual DJ !

Posted Sun 18 Jan 04 @ 9:19 pm
Maybe you better read the thread before saying "dont blame virtual dj".
I didnt blame VDJ for the flaws of the Console. Though i think one could blame Hercules for misleading their customers to get a full working copy of VDJ.
I quote from the box where the console comes with:
"Virtual Dj: The hottest MP3 mixing software, ideal for all Djs from beginners to international superstars! Breakthrough BeatLock engine, automatic seamless loops, clear song structure visualization."
There is NOTHING said about that this is a limited version, meaning you cant get all the addons which are available for full VDJ, also it doesnt say that Console customers have to wait for weeks or maybe even month(??) for updates regular users get.
Bugs that already could be fixed in December for VDJ customers are still a plague for Console users. Period.
I'm sure there were lots of users who bought the console because VDJ was bundled with it. Now they realize its necessary to spend another 100€ to purchase the full version. No possibility for cheaper upgrade.

Concerning my buggy console i already wrote Hercules an e-mail and am now waiting for their reply, so i can return it to them. I'm sure once this is fixed the Console can be great fun. It would be nice if VDJ could be available to Console customers for a reduced price as a kind of upgrade or that updates dont lag so much between regular and Console version.

Posted Mon 19 Jan 04 @ 12:52 am
Did you buy The Djcosole For Vdj ? or For the controler ?

When you buy a Burning drive, you have an OEM version who work perfectly with it but you have no update.

No where on the box there is write on the box, that the virtualdj version you have on it is full.

We give you free update, but we have no obligation about it.

Please understand that there is like that and there is no way to change it.

Posted Mon 19 Jan 04 @ 7:24 pm
VDJ team,
Why don't you offer an upgrade for buyers of the console for less then the full version price of VDJ? It will attract potential
customers. I already bought the full version and then afterwards bought the console also. I won't complain or claim..... that's the way things develop sometimes. Hardware and software ages, if I buy the state of the art today, no one can guarantee that it still will be tomorrow... So don't push new customers away but take them over the border and with you in the future. I wish you wisdom. Kind regards,

Peter
(very satisfied VDJ user waitin for the return of the console)

Posted Mon 19 Jan 04 @ 11:16 pm
It’s because the version of VDJ include with DL Console are a freeware. Hercules put this software (and the others) for the best use of their console. Remember, you can’t use this version without DJ Console.

Other example, when you buy a CD burner, you receive a free software with it (Adaptec or other) and when you want the full version of this software (for the better option or other), Adaptec can't offer to you a reduction for purchase it, you pay the full price same as the others customers.

I repeat another time: You pay for a Hercules DJ Console, not for VDJ or the others software in box. All the softwares include with console are FREE, how can you believe that you have right has a reduction?

Regard

Coyote

Posted Mon 19 Jan 04 @ 11:39 pm
Dear Mr. Dj Morris,

i think your statement above is probably more meant like a joke. If you have any idea how the console works - and i really do hope so - you would know that its whole functionality is dependant on the software it runs on. Without a specifically designed program for it this thing is absolutely W-O-R-T-H-L-E-S-S !!!

If you like i stick to your metaphors: You ever tried to drive a car without fuel ??
Concerning that "burning drive" you mentioned... with this i at least have the chance to choose what product i wanna use.
With the console i'm forced to use VDJ.

And when you say you have no obligation for updates i wonder what kind of a strange agreement you have with Hercules?? You dont get money from them? You only intended to trick console customers in buying full VDJ ??

And please.. one last thing! When it says on the box there is VDJ in.... what do you expect i think what is in there??
A limited version?

Posted Tue 20 Jan 04 @ 9:37 am
Yan-XPRO InfinityHonorary memberMember since 2003
Atomix Productions can't be blamed for a commercial packaging of another company !

THe deal we made with Hercules was to offer a special version of the software to get it working with the DJConsole. That was the case of first version 1.06 ! As we have discovered some issues with 1.06's stability we have decided to offer to DJConsole Consumers the update to 1.07 and now 1.08 versions.

Regarding the updates, our company is releasing first the updates for our registered users but then our team is spending all its time to update the others version (trial, DjConsole version, ...) this process requires time to be achieve successfully.

Regards.

Posted Wed 21 Jan 04 @ 10:38 am
robmanPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Yan-X

I think it may be an idea to post a sticky message at the top of these forums as this issue seems to be continually raised and, of course, the answer is always the same.

My only issue is that having purchased the DJ Console package, and in my mind somehow contributed to the fortunes of Atomix, I am still seen as a demo/trial user. I can understand not being able to download the plug-ins (they are not essentials) but I feel I have progressed beyond simply a trial user - many of the responses from the support team have said, "you do not have a trial version, nor do you have a demo version - you have a special DJ Console edition."

All the best and thanks for such a great piece of software.

Posted Wed 21 Jan 04 @ 12:31 pm
Sharan, i agree with Yan-X.

I was disapointed too that Hercules didn't ship a fullversion of VDJ. But still, ATOMIX can't do anything about it. I had some troubles getting the package run correctly, once the troubles were gone.. it appears that VDJ is one hell of a great DJ-tool. even more features than BPM-studio and costs less!

all i'm saying is: have your Console repaired/replaced by Hercules and buy the full package of VDJ because it's worth it.

Posted Wed 21 Jan 04 @ 2:52 pm
In fact i gave my Console today into the mail to get it fixed by Hercules. Hope i have it back soon.

At no point i ever meant to discredit VDJ. It is a very nice program that easily can compare to others on the market which are often much more expensive. Though i was used to Traktor before, i will not miss VDJ ever again!

The whole problem in my humble opinion is that Hercules put out the Console much to early, it would surely have needed a bit more time to develop it thouroughly.
Hopefully Hercules will learn from this marketing disaster.

Still think it would be a good idea if Console customers could get further upgrades for VDJ, when its for a fair price. Maybe its time for the VDJ team to speak to Hercules so your work is paid properly. Keeping in mind that VDJ is the only working program for the Console this seems to be most sensible.

Posted Wed 21 Jan 04 @ 6:14 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)