Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: New user (about to be!)

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Many years ago I used to Dj at raves/pirate radio. However at the weekend I was introduced to Traktor DJ studio which I couldn't get on with and now have the mixing bug once again.

Today, I purchased the Hercules and expect it tomorrow :)

I have scanned through the forum and heard nemerous debates on reliability, crashes, lock ups etc?

So honestly, what is you opinion of this peice of kit? I read the reviews and they mention the delay (button presses) which isn't much use live mixing! Or is it something not to worry about/you learn to adapt to?

The Pioneer skins look really good! Anyone using them with the Consol?

Also read the entire VDJ manual and it seems a nice bit of software (seems like it does everything for you!). However I am sceptical on the reliability of the auto beat matching etc etc etc.

So would some kind soul give me honest opionions and the pros and cons to expect?

Sorry for all the question but it will prepare me what to expect and other newbies.

Cheers!

Posted Tue 13 Jan 04 @ 2:07 pm
robmanPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Pros: Great fun, easy to use, well priced, can be used for other software (with some fiddling), gives you another soundcard and a mic input for "real" microphones that is not dreadful and hissy.

Cons: Manufacturing issue means, like me and several others here, you may have to send it back to Hercules *AT YOUR EXPENSE* to be "reprogrammed" to stop the jog wheels from sending out spurious data.

Posted Tue 13 Jan 04 @ 6:57 pm
I think the dj console and VDJ are a cool combination, i havnt had any problem with delay either, when i push the buttons they do what they're meant to instantly. I think you'll like it aslong as you dont have any of the problems alot of people seem to be having. Let us know what you think when you get it!

Posted Tue 13 Jan 04 @ 11:59 pm
Regarding the manufacturing issue, I had the same problem but at least under Finnish law (I live in Finland and have ordered my console from a Finnish reseller) you can send a faulty product back to the reseller on their cost and they are responsible of fixing the problems... Unfortunately, my console was not fully fixed when I sent it back and I will have to send it back AGAIN, but that's just a mistake of the Finnish reseller. Otherwise, the product is really good, of course there are few things that could be better (in my opinion), but I guess there are different opinions about those.

About VirtualDJ, it is a good software, few bugs of course like almost every new software has but no critical ones I think. Many have complained about the fact that Hercules promised the "full version" of the VirtualDJ bundled in the DJ Console package and they feel deceived since the version included does not have a serial number and therefore plug-ins can not be downloaded from the webpage. For me it is not that big issue, as long as the skins can be downloaded and the program gets updated (at least the bugs fixed), the "dj console special version" is fine.

Posted Wed 14 Jan 04 @ 10:38 am
Well got my Console yesterday and suffering with the usual bugs!

- Speeding up jogwheel (and way to sensitive wheb cueing).
- Crossfader playing deck a when all the way over on deck b

Another I have noticed is when turning the pitch down using the 'volume' button, when turning it fast I gat a dialog window as if I was opening a file!

VDJ Beat Matching - basically I gave up! It may be ok with standard house 4 beat stuff but put some UK Garage/RnB/Rap on and for get it.

After an hour of pulling my hair out, I just switched the gizmos off and did it tradionally by ear. After 10 years since my last mix I got it back pretty much straight away.

A few questions:

1) I saw an update file on the site but cant find it now? Url anyone? And what does the update correct?

2) How do you switch the sliders 'volume' to control the pitch?

Thats all for now!

Posted Thu 15 Jan 04 @ 12:29 pm
HomeboyPRO InfinitySupport ManagerMember since 2003
For your last question go into the options menu and where you enabled the controller you need to check the box invert the volume and pitch.

Posted Thu 15 Jan 04 @ 12:49 pm
BatemanHome userMember since 2004
Robman:

Hi you said that with some "fiddling" you can use other sofwares? Do you know if ther is a possibility to fiddle Traktor DJ with Hercules DJ? I´ve recived my Hercules yesterday so i havn´t tried that much yet...

Posted Thu 15 Jan 04 @ 4:54 pm
Sorry homeboy, where exactly do you change the sliders to pitch?

Posted Thu 15 Jan 04 @ 6:49 pm
BatemanHome userMember since 2004
Smalltalk:

In "settings"...and at the page "remote control" check the "invert pitch/volume" choise

Posted Thu 15 Jan 04 @ 8:03 pm
robmanPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Bateman:

There's a number of things you can do to get the console working with other software. However, it ain't necessarily retty!

First there's the keymapper that comes with it that lets you map the buttons and the jog-wheel to keyboard presses - the jogwheels are rotary encoders so they basically spit out a stream of "key-presses" in this mode. So map the buttons and jog-wheels to the right keys for your software.

Secondly, the console is also a game controller - look in your game controller control panel and you will see. Not all of the console's features are mapped to a game controller, but lots of the buttons and knobs are. So if your app responds to a game controller, you are in luck. If not, you can use a Joystick-to-Midi application and hey presto your console is dishing out Midi data. Many apps will then let you use Midi to control the software. Of course the ideal will be if/when Hercules provides a proper midi driver for the console meaining this step is not necessary.

The third way is that the console's little joystick works as a mouse with two buttons.

Hope this helps

Posted Fri 16 Jan 04 @ 10:27 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)