Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: [Harware problem] SB Live 5.1 makes automatic entries in autoexec.bat

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

mamaPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Hi all,

after I fixed a few problems with the SB, I still have one problem:

After every bootup, there are three entries of the SB in the autoexec.bat. It would be no problem, but they hang my system and Windows doesn´t start.
I always have to press F8 and start DOS to edit the autoexec and then reboot. That sucks! ;-(

Does anybody know this problem or have any idea, where I can disable this f%.$ing entries?

Hope for help

mama

Posted Fri 09 Mar 01 @ 7:13 pm
RiscHome userMember since 2003
Hey mama,
Try entering windows in safe mode then going to your C drive and opening "autoexec.bat" in notepad (right click, edit) and then remove the entry and save the file.

Good luck,

-= R ! S C =-
Team Atomix

Posted Fri 09 Mar 01 @ 7:41 pm
RiscHome userMember since 2003
If that doesn't work try putting a semi colon in front of the command ";" this stops the system executing that command, and hopefully your SB live card will think that the entry’s are already there and not bother to alter them.

-= R ! S C =-
Team Atomix

Posted Fri 09 Mar 01 @ 7:47 pm
Hi Risc,

thx for your fast answer!

I already tried to let them in the file, and setting a semicolon, but after the next reboot, the entries were replaced! I hope, your trick with the safe mode will help!

thx
mama

Posted Fri 09 Mar 01 @ 8:03 pm
Hi Risc,

no chance with deleting them in safe mode. When rebooting, they aren´t there, but when I have to start again, they still appear and hang my system.

The entries are:
SET BLASTER=A240 I2 D3 H7 P330 T6
SET CTSYN=C:WINDOWS
C:PROGRA~1CREATIVESBLIVEDOSDRVSBEINIT.COM

One of them makes me crazy! Where (i.e. registry?) could be that prog/entry/batch that make these appear?

mama

Posted Sat 10 Mar 01 @ 1:31 pm
Brian CHome userMember since 2001
I would think it's most likely the third entry causing the problem. Try doing a step-by-step boot to verify this.

It's not the ideal way to do it but try renaming the .com file it loads to something else (the file itself and not the entry in the autoexec). Then all you should get is the autoexec.bat reporting 'bad command or filename' and continue booting.

Hopefully whatever writes to the autoexec will see the entries still intact and ignore it.

Posted Sat 10 Mar 01 @ 2:24 pm
Done!

Thx a lot! I changed the file name, now it´s running!

;-)))

mama

Posted Sat 10 Mar 01 @ 7:23 pm
Brian CHome userMember since 2001
No Probs :)

Posted Sat 10 Mar 01 @ 7:41 pm
I know that the problem was already solved,but here goes a hint...
There is a program at windows:msconfig,that can be executed from start menu_execute,that with it you can enable disable ANYTHING that is being loaded during the boot process.It's very usefull to disable that resident programs that we can find how they are being loaded...

Posted Fri 20 Apr 01 @ 1:17 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)