Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Atomix "record poll" continued...

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hmm, well all this about the ministry contest goes to show how the "real dj's use vinyl" idea still exist and how tough it has been to break that. Clearly mixing ability hasnt been enough to win certain people over. It is possible to mix just as well on atomix as on real turntables and many users on here have proved this, even surpassing real decks with some of the loops, quick track access and other features of atomix and some of the mp3 mixing programs.

Now im trying to use all my experience as a dj to further the design of atomix, better features, streamline certain things, change how some things are implemented, just as everyone else is also posting ideas and im sure alot of what we have said is being worked on for a new version right now, but it seems that no matter how well the program works, how stable, how many cool features, it still isnt going to get us mp3 dj's or whatever people call us accepted the same as vinyl dj's....

As i see it, we need a different approach to make our style of dj'ing accepted. Features, ease of use, etc is not going to get us anywhere so we need to win people over with the oldest dj trick around, PLAYING REALLY GOOD AND NEW MUSIC. No crowd will be able to deny you as a dj if you have the whole place dancing to great music. Doesnt matter what you dj with, its about the music. Ive seen dj's with amazing mixers, fx units, scratch routines etc and if they are just playing the same 3 month old tracks everyone is playing the crowd just isnt into them. Once you get to a certain point, your dj'ing skill is about as good as everyone elses so the thing thats making certain dj's stand out is the tracks they play.

That being said, thats why this record poll idea i had is so important, its the means to level the playing field and let us atomix users have some of the tracks that no one has heard or played yet. lets us not have to wait til a track has become a hit and everyone is tired of it before we can find it to download.

Anyways to further the idea along, how bout those of you intrested send me an email with some of your info about where you play, what style of music, things of that nature so i can compile it and have something to present to lables to show how many atomix dj's are out there that are in a position to get new tracks heard by the masses

email me at LqdSndDist@aol.com if your intrested in trying to further this idea along

Posted Thu 18 Jul 02 @ 11:52 pm
DJ RickPRO InfinityMember since 2003
C'mon man! I don't need to be "accepted" by vinyl spinners. The only people I need to be accepted by are the club owners who continue to pay me for 5-6 gigs every week. Oh yeah, and the customers that come out and dance, drink, and have fun. I really don't give a crap about weather a DJ who spins Vinyl, or CD's, or even 8 track tapes, or bangs 2 rocks together accepts or respects me. You shouldn't either. If you're getting paid, and having fun... that's all it's supposed to be about.

Just my opinion... I may be wrong.

Rick
(fact is, the vinyl spinners who approach my booth actually seem to be blown away, and perhaps a bit jealous)

Posted Fri 19 Jul 02 @ 12:25 am
jukesyPRO InfinityMember since 2003
If you want to get new music try finding your local cd library or even buying cd's and returning them, then ripping the tracks. It works for me. I had Fischerspooner's Emerge, Sunglasses at Night, all the FC Kahuna traks and loads more Radioactive man, Two lone sowdsmen, Adult and Aphex Twin stuff miles before the radio or other Dj's got hold of it. You just need to keep up to date.

Posted Fri 19 Jul 02 @ 1:19 am
aknit44Home userMember since 2002
I agree. The concept of DJ'ing, is evntually the same, with time. What matters at the end, is the music you are playing for your crowd.

I started playing at a pub that's been on downside these last few months. The DJ there uses the pub equipment, a mixer, duo-CD deck and amplifier, to play the same old music each weekend.

When we came over, we suggested to pub management that we start with Jazz night, on Sunday nights, which was a new shift. It was so good, that we had to bleed into the latest tracks, then back to oldies and the old school. It was amazing, so much so, that management asked us to return the next Saturday.

Now we play Saturdays and Sundays, and some of crowd that comes over says we are the best thing that ever happenned to that pub.

It's all about the music. The people you should be looking to impress are club owners and the crowd. Forget all those other tired DJs who play with whatever they play. The input, comments, advice or notes you get from them, aren't going to change your thinking at the time, you already know where you're going, and don't need anyone's advice.

Posted Fri 19 Jul 02 @ 9:51 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)