Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Dell Laptop NeoMagic Sound Problem - Anyone else run into this?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

nateHome userMember since 2001
Greetings,

It's not a problem with AtomixMP3, first off. It happens with any audio player.

I'm running Windows XP on a Dell Latitude CS-R 400 laptop. The integrated NeoMagic sound seems to have a channel seperatation problem - IE the right channel is not fully isolated from the left and vice versa.

This makes it totally useless to use with an external mixer and a sound splitter (mono, one deck on the left other on the right) because when the other decek is playing, a bit of the sound from what should be on the other side spills over and it VERY noticable is the playing track gets quiet.

I've tried new drivers etc etc no difference, and this happens with winamp also, so it seems like a hardware problem with these laptops and/or the neomagic audio chipset.

Anyone else have this problem?? It's bloody annoying!
I guess I'll have to get a PCMCIA or USB sound card if I want to mix externally with my laptop :(

-nate

Posted Sun 10 Mar 02 @ 11:34 pm
DJ RickPRO InfinityMember since 2003
check the sound options.... one of them is usually labeled something like 3d, or spatial. disable this or turn it all the way down.

Posted Mon 11 Mar 02 @ 1:37 am
nateHome userMember since 2001
It's not a 3D card.. It's 2 channel ultra cheese crap.

Ive checked all the options, on the mixer, in the control panel, in atomix... nothing helps. Even tried older (win2k) drivers for the chip, no help!

Someone recommend a cheap replacement, PCMCIA or USB... I need a card with proper channel seperatation ASAP and I dont want to spend lots of $$, all i need is two channels to do the split mono so any DECENT PCMCIA or USB sound interface will do!

thanks!
-nate

Posted Mon 11 Mar 02 @ 1:53 am
I've got the same problem ....but I've found a soultion!!

ABIT produce a little USB device called the UA-10 USB Theatre.

Basically it's designed for surround sound (Front pair / rear pair / sub / Centre), but I've got it configured in a competitors mp3 DJing product to play deck 1 out of the front pair, & deck two out of the rear pair.

I'm in the United Kingom, & I brought it on line from a company called Dabs.com for £50.

Posted Wed 13 Mar 02 @ 6:04 pm
I use an Edirol UA-5 to get audio from my USB port .
I'm telling you this unit is the dogs bol***s.

Posted Tue 19 Mar 02 @ 12:34 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)