Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: H E L P !! Laptop with two soundcards, where can i find one?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hi ...

I have see a D.j. ( D.J. Mister Hide from Turin) with Atomix Mp3 on a notebook Toshiba Satellite with more than 1 sound card inside (he have say that it have 4 sound cards 1+1 for output (if he want use it with a esternal mixer), one for PFL on headphone, 1 for microphone. He have say that the notebook was made for him by a constructor of London especialy make for use Atomix Mp3 or similar software.

I have spend a month to search on the web this king of PC's modified .... but i have not try anything ...

I have see that it's possible use a external sound card box connecting it with a Pcmcia Card but before buy it i want to search a notebook with more than one internal sound card ( minimun 2).

Can you help me? Can you give me the best base configuration for notebook to use professionaly this software. Can i buy somewhere a notebook ready to use your software and play music (and listen plf on headphone) for work.

Excuse my english ... please ... and thanks ...

Riccardo ... Italy

Posted Wed 06 Feb 02 @ 6:48 pm
ikkeHome userMember since 2003
Why don't you use an external USB soundcard like the Soundblaster Extigy? It is an external USB 3D (so, 2 outputs!) soundcards, and the sound quality will be loads better than the quality of a notebook soundcard, because that's not always that good... Look at www.creative.com There are also other external (3D) soundcards made by other manufacturers. I think this should be a good solution for your problem, and it willn't cost that much: when you let modify a notebook, it will cost loads more.
For the sys reqs, I can't help you. Sorry.

Hope this helped, greetz, ikke

Posted Wed 06 Feb 02 @ 7:43 pm
DJ RickPRO InfinityMember since 2003
I'm using the Sony Vaio. I picked the Sony because it has a firewire plug. (songs are on an 80 gig firewire hard drive.) It only has one built in stereo output. I added a usb single stereo output audio device. (telex) The output from both of these devices is fine. I've heard about the new usb extigy (or whatever it's called), but I thought I read something about it not configuring properly for 2 stereo outputs. Check before you buy anything. (by the way, I do 4 gigs every week with the Sony. The sound from both the usb device and the onboard sound card is just fine, and I have it powered through some very nice amplification equipment. If it wasn't good enough, I'd know)

Good Luck Man,

Rick-

Posted Wed 06 Feb 02 @ 8:36 pm
hey i am using toshiba satellite too and i am using usb stereo sound converter and i haven't had any difficulties with it but i can offer u that aardwarks "direct mix usb 3" sound card it looks so good :))

Posted Wed 06 Feb 02 @ 9:24 pm
i have compaq notebook too, i use 3 soundcards. 1 on board sound card , and 2 hama usb sound cards (really cheap those hama usb sound devices: about 40$ each!...) The quality is perfect, better than the on board sound card, no latency, only the maximum output power is very low (volume), but you can fix that with extra gain on your mixer...

PS a question for other usb sound card users: do you guys also experience lower maximum volume with your usb devices or is it only with the hama device???

thanks

Posted Thu 07 Feb 02 @ 12:16 am
The output on mine is slightly lower. I set the wav volume of the on board sound card to about 80%. That keeps them pretty even. All in all, I'd say the output is perhaps just slightly lower than that of a CD player. I still have plenty of head room on the mixer volume sliders. Master volume is at about 7, and near the end of the night when the music is CRANKED the channel volume is probably around 8. If I go any louder, I'll get complaints.

Posted Thu 07 Feb 02 @ 12:49 am
Ikke, I know you don't have Atomix full.... do you even have a laptop? Have you ever used a USB audio device? Why answer a question from a user if it has to do with something that you know nothing about? Your eagerness is showing. If you don't have direct personal experience with something at least remotely related to a question, please don't post a best guess answer. What if this guy took your advice based on you showing up as an experienced member, and wasted a ton of money on equipment that you recommended without any experience on the matter. Being an experienced member carries a bit of responsibility. If you aren't positive about something based on direct experience, DON'T POST AN ANSWER!!!

Posted Thu 07 Feb 02 @ 12:56 am
Riccardo, Vedo che lei da italia.

Lei può l'uso il forum italiano se ciò aiuta? !!?!

Ciao. Dave.

Posted Thu 07 Feb 02 @ 3:58 am
Sorry, I only know english.

Posted Thu 07 Feb 02 @ 4:27 am
Impressionsdj, i think you're right about Ikke. Of course you should give him credit about trying to help people out always, if there is a question, Ikke answers... But i also think he does this not to help people but to help himself, he is overmotivated to become a atomixmp3 coworker or something... It is very clear that he is sliming his way in. But apart from that, sometimes his answers DO help people, but that isn't very often. And what you said, about owning atomix... If it is true, how stupid could the atomix team be to make him a high class member??? I mean, they should only promote users who have a registred version, and they could check that easily!!!
This is to Ikke: If i have missjudged you, please let me know! But i think i am right, am i not? Of course i don't know you, but your behaviour in the past couple of weeks have allowed me to create a bit of an image of you, i know your type!!!

Posted Thu 07 Feb 02 @ 11:57 am
Actually, I wasn't trying to make a charactor judgement on the guy. I'm sure his intentions are good. The fellow asked a specific question with regard to laptop computers and Atomix. I just think in a forum such as this, if someone answers you, you should be able to have at least a passing idea that he/she has some experience with the product & configuration about which you are asking.

Posted Thu 07 Feb 02 @ 3:46 pm
Okay .... whenever I post a question ... Ikke responds 80 % of the time with an intellegent answer.

He knows alot about DSP, C++, other DJ/MP3 programs and other mp3 related issues. Yeah, he might not have experience in certain areas, that doesn't imply he does not know what he is talking about. He still gives a pretty intellegent answer, to the BEST of HIS knowledge.

You don't have to make a big deal about this !!!

If you don't agree with what he says ... just post your own opinion. We're about helping eachother out (which Ikke does) !!!!!

(Talk about getting off-topic)
Cheers.

Posted Thu 07 Feb 02 @ 7:03 pm
ikkeHome userMember since 2003
To give a short reply: I own a notebook (a Dell), and sorry, but the sound is really bad. I only gave an example when I talked about the Creative device (it's the only USB soundcard I ever saw in action), maybe there are good internal mobile soundcards, but I haven't heard any of them yet, sorry.

Posted Thu 07 Feb 02 @ 7:19 pm
i have a 4 output pcmcia device called the egosys wamibox, its powered from the laptop and has 4 gold platted rca jacks, it also features coxial and digital in and outs plus even midi in and out.

ill sell you one for $275 plus shipping

email me at "infader1@hotmail.com"

Posted Fri 08 Feb 02 @ 7:57 am
Thanks to everybody ...

I have see that they are a lot of solutions but not a second card on notebook .... :-(((
I have read that the Sony Vaio is good for music but i have not understand ... giggs !!!

I have see in the Italian forum that it's possible use for the PFL an headphone USB .... but how use it with Atomix for the PFL???

Grazie ... Ciao

Posted Fri 08 Feb 02 @ 1:08 pm
DavidPRO InfinityMember since 2001
Did anyone try the Soundblaster Extigy yet?

D.

Posted Fri 08 Feb 02 @ 3:27 pm
I've said it b4 & I'll say it again........
Use an Edirol UA-5 (to get top quality audio from the USB port and use your headphone socket for PFL .
Just set the laptop accordingly .
If your h/phone skt is too quiet get a h/phn amp 4 it .

Posted Tue 19 Mar 02 @ 12:50 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)