Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Bass beats cancelling out worse with different soundcards?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Since Win2k decided to never work with my original soundcard, I have had to use the onboard sound on my motherboard. It seems to me though, that the bass beats cancelling each other out is far worse now, could it depend on the soundcard for the severity of this problem?

Also, I want to now buy two soundcards, to use both with Atomix. Which ones would work well together without IRQ problems and so on...Although, for less problems, I may buy a 3D soundcard instead, but again, what would be a good buy?

Posted Mon 01 Oct 01 @ 12:06 am
mamaPRO InfinityMember since 2003
I would buy a 3D card, so you won´t have probs with different delay. If you buy two cards, you must buy two different brands, otherwise W2k uses the same IRQ´s. But so you have different delays.

Posted Mon 01 Oct 01 @ 7:30 am
Alrighty then, I went out and bought myself a SoundBlaster Live! Value card. This has created a couple of problems though; first of all, I have to use the Windows XP driver, as the ones on the CD that came with the soundcard only go up to Windows 9* and NT4 and do not work, I have tried them. This would not be a problem, as the WinXP driver does work, problem is, I want the Creative programs installed, such as the mixer, settings, and all other applications that come on the Creative CD, especially since I need to enable 4 speaker mode so I can monitor with Atomixmp3. The programs on the CD automatically install the CD's driver as well, though, and Windows won't work with it. To get around this, after installing from the Creative CD, I had to go into System Properties and reinstall the original WinXP driver, the sound then works and I also have the Creative applications. Only problem is, that some of the applications then won't work, such as the mixer, and when I click on the volume control in the Creative Bar that it puts at the top of my screen, it freezes and I have to manually End Task to get rid of it...

If anyone knows a way around all this and a way of getting the WinXP driver and the Creative applications to work together, I will greatly appreciate it. I have been to the Creative website, and they have nothing at all for WinXP.

Second problem, one which I know may have been answered many times, but I can't find it in all the topics and messages that are now on the various forums... I have the speakers plugged into the 'green' front speakers socket on the soundcard, since I want my main output to go to the front speakers, in case I ever get rear speakers. I then have my headphones plugged into the 'black' rear speakers socket on the soundcard. When I use the partially functioning Creative settings to set it to 4 speaker mode, I get sound out of speakers and headphones. Good. When I launch Atomixmp3 and set the sound configuration to '3D soundcard' and 'speakers and headphones', I find that although the monitoring function works fine, I have the monitoring coming through the speakers (front speakers connection), and the main output coming through the headphones (rear speakers connection).

Now, the obvious solution is to swap the leads around and have the speakers going to the 'rear' soundcard output, and the headphones going to the 'front' soundcard output, but then I will have my main sound coming from the rear connection all of the time, so if I ever revert to 2 speaker mode, I would have to swap the leads around again, as, when in 2 speaker mode, the sound only comes out of the 'green' front speakers socket on the soundcard. I cannot see any way of changing it so that the monitoring output will leave the soundcard from the rear speakers connection, and hence, to my headphones. Is it not possible to change this?

Surely Atomixmp3 has not been configured to purposely send the main output to the 'rear' speakers connection? I would have thought that the logical thing to do, would be to have the main output of Atomix going to the 'front' speakers output of the soundcard?

I apologise if this setting is adjustable within the Sound Blaster settings, but presently, I cannot access all of them, as I stated above...

Thank you to anybody who has the time and patience to respond to this, I will appreciate it very much indeed. Sorry for the very long post, but I wanted to try and explain myself clearly, although I'm not sure that I've managed it :0/

Cheers.

Posted Mon 01 Oct 01 @ 3:19 pm
OyyoDamsPRO InfinityHonorary memberMember since 2003
For the drivers I advise you to install Win2k drivers (I have an SB Live 1024 value on WinXP and installed the Win2K drivers: it works !)

For the rear/front problem there is currently no option to change it, but I'll talk about it to the developpement team.

Hope that helps !

- Dams -

Posted Mon 01 Oct 01 @ 3:59 pm
mamaPRO InfinityMember since 2003
The W2k drivers should be a solution, but I advise you not to install all the SB software! I installed it once and almost nothing worked as it should do! The only thing you need is the AudioHQ to set your card to "4 speakers".

The rear/front problem seems to be a SB problem. But you can simply plug your main out to the rear. I work for months now like this.

mama

Posted Mon 01 Oct 01 @ 4:21 pm
Thanks for the replies.

I have tried the Win2K driver but it didn't work, it doesn't matter though, as the WinXP Live! Value driver is working fine, I will now try and install just the AudioHQ and see what happens.

Posted Mon 01 Oct 01 @ 9:06 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)