Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Skins

Topic: Installation of a custom controller skin is hard for the enduser
Hey everyone,

as posted before, I created a new controller skin and made it available as a plugin.

For the enduser it is hard to activate that skin on the controller.
There are a lot of traps:
* User does not read the comments and activates the skin in the interfaces tab, which results in replacing the desktop skin. Since most controller skins do not have a settings button it is hard to get back to the default desktop skin.
* User installs controller skin and nothing happens. He does not read the comments, where the renaming of the ZIP is stated and is disappointed, that it doesn't work.
* If the user was able to install, rename the zip and use the skin, it is hard to go uninstall, because uninstall does remove the zip file with the original filename.

In any case user has to find the VDJ home directroy to fix any of the issues.

Maybe there could be a seperate window on interfaces settings page, where you can select the controller skin, as it is done for the video skin.

Other solution could be, that a skin for a controller can override the zip of the original skin. So that this renaming issue is gone and uninstall would work as expected.

With the current situation a lot of support message have to be answered and users are left disappointed.

Is there a way to adress this issues? Maybe I did something wrong when I published my skin using the plugins-upload.

Cheers Jochen

Posted Fri 10 Mar 23 @ 11:38 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
Indeed no way to specify this yet.
Note that you can add hidden="true" inside <skin to ensure the skin is not shown in the regular skin list, so users at least won't accidentally select it as their main skin.

Posted Fri 10 Mar 23 @ 12:37 pm