Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Will any midi controller work on VDJ?
nowavePRO InfinityMember since 2015
I’m looking at additional controllers to have in my set up (currently a Launchpad and Traktor Z1) but wondering if I can simply plug in any midi controller and map it myself?
Leading example I’m looking at is the Donner Starrypad midi controller on Amazon
https://amzn.eu/d/1B3vHhw)

Any advice is welcomed thank you

Posted Wed 30 Nov 22 @ 5:37 pm

Posted Wed 30 Nov 22 @ 5:43 pm
nowavePRO InfinityMember since 2015
kradcliffe wrote :
If it's not officially supported by VDJ you will have to create a definition file as well which can be complex.

Best to stick with controllers from this list:

https://www.virtualdj.com/products/hardware.html?view=all

Ah ok that’s a shame but good to know thank you for replying to me

Posted Wed 30 Nov 22 @ 5:46 pm
You don't have to create a definition file. Generally speaking you can easily map button on/off and fader/knob movement with very little effort.

Definition files come into play once you start going beyond that.

The VDJ staff are usually happy to help with mapping a non-native controller too.

Posted Wed 30 Nov 22 @ 6:30 pm
That's true but for very basic use only as you have stated. To get the most out of the newer controllers a definition is still required.

Posted Wed 30 Nov 22 @ 6:55 pm
djkrysrPRO InfinityMember since 2010
I was also looking at the Donner Starrypad, just as a cheap & cheerful pad controller now Virtual DJ is doing amazing stuff with Stem+FX as my Denon controller doesn't have pads.
Is there anywhere on the forums to request device files for controllers that aren't currently supported, either officially or with getting help starting off.

Posted Sun 26 Feb 23 @ 8:46 pm
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
There's not a lot to by the looks, there is no RBG, you have all the channel & cc info from the editor app, all you'd have to do is get the vid & pid [which vdj midilog does] and you'd be on the way.

Posted Sun 26 Feb 23 @ 9:32 pm
To be honest the whole thing scares me somewhat, especially since I have never done anything like this before. Are then example device.xml files available, or ones other people have created, that can be examined to see things such a correct buttons definition, how to define pages (banks), defining the colors for the pads etc.
Trying to convert a similar pads device.xml file into one that would work with this controller rather starting from scratch might help, and I am sure I have seen in the past people posting their own device files when Virtual DJ has yet to support them, but I can't find any on the forums, all though to be honest, reading what I have about device definitions I think even that may be way above my capabilities as this is an area I have never had to work in before & have no understanding of.

PS. Is it possible to write your own device .xml files for controllers Virtual DJ already supports as I have a basic AKAI pad (LPD8). If I was able to create my own device file for that as an exercise to see if I could, that would be preferable to splashing out for a new controller that I may never get working, however I don't know how to get Virtual DJ to use my device file rather than the built in one, or whether that is even possible.

Posted Mon 27 Feb 23 @ 1:19 pm
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
that device has fixed coloured pads [fixed in the set up app] banks are a HW shift so the different "pads in banks" just show up as another button.

there's nothing there that will start a fire.
And yes you can write def files for supported gear you need to start the def file name with
FORCE

Posted Mon 27 Feb 23 @ 1:29 pm
Great thanks, I will have a go & see how I get on

Posted Mon 27 Feb 23 @ 1:46 pm
You can find examples of user created definitions in Extentions:

Extentions > Other > Custom Mappers

many will include both the definition and mapper.

and as Locodog as mentioned:

you can use your custom definition, by naming you definition file to force-somename.xml, for VDJ supported hardware

Posted Mon 27 Feb 23 @ 6:13 pm
Just to save you some time..
If you want to play around with LPD8, create an XML file named force-Akai LPD8.xml inside VirtualDJ/Devices folder, and then paste this code:
?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<device name="AKLPD8" author="Me" description="Akai LPD8" devicetype="sampler" version="850" type="MIDI" vid="0x09E8" pid="0x0075" decks="1" padColumns="4" padRows="2" padSides="1" refreshOutputOnReceive="true">

</device>

The above code will take care with device detection.
I'm providing this because you won't be able to "override" the built in definition until your own XML file has all the proper bits required to properly detect and identify the device.

Posted Mon 27 Feb 23 @ 10:27 pm
PhantomDeejay wrote :
I'm providing this because you won't be able to "override" the built in definition until your own XML file has all the proper bits required to properly detect and identify the device.

Thank you very much, I appreciate the assistance.

Posted Mon 27 Feb 23 @ 10:36 pm