Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Music discussion

Topic: What is the best and most simple controller for looping with foot pedal?
brille1PRO InfinityMember since 2018
Hi guys,

I'm reaching out for your recommendation:

Playing an instrument live, I'd like to be able to trigger and release loops (2-beats, 4-beats, 8-beats) voluntarily using a foot pedal.

What is the most simple controller that is providing this feature you can recommend for connecting to Virtual DJ (Windows)?

Posted Tue 19 Jul 22 @ 6:38 pm
user18457999 wrote :
Playing an instrument

What instrument?

There are dedicated devices for doing this, such as the Boss RC series.

https://www.boss.info/uk/products/rc-600/

VDJ is designed for DJs to play pre-recorded songs, not for musicians to record loops.

Posted Wed 20 Jul 22 @ 6:54 pm
I don't want to record.

I want Virtual DJ to play backing songs (sort of Karaoke songs) so I can play along with them.

All I want is to be able to enter/exit a loop during the intro, so I can talk over. Or I want to loop during a solo, so I can voluntarily play a longer solo. That's all.

Posted Fri 22 Jul 22 @ 6:57 am
To be fair you should probably look at Ableton Live and it's Session View for that
That is basically what all looper artist that work with software use

But... CAN you trigger loops using VDJ and a foot pedal?
Yes, that should indeed be possible

Simply go for the cheapest USB midi foot pedal you can find, locate it in VDJ as a standard midi device, and map it's switches to loop 8, loop 16, loop 32 and so in VDJ, to have the switches toggle on/off those lengths of loops. So maybe a foot pedal with 3-4 foot switches?

You could also instead do loop in / loop out, and then have VDJs loop section in "smart" quantize mode (which I think is default). Then you just need 2 switches - or maybe 3 so you have a track start/stop switch as well
Like maybe this one:
https://www.amazon.com/OLLGEN-Mechanical-Computer-Keyboard-Cotroller/dp/B08M9TXWV2/

Posted Fri 22 Jul 22 @ 8:32 am
Thank you, Klaus, for your very valuable reply!!

I looked at the Ableton Live 11 spec now, but I think the front-end is a bit oversized for just playing .mp3 files (like I wrote, Karaoke songs) live in front of an audience.

The foot-pedal is a great idea! 👍👍 … Thanks!

Posted Sat 23 Jul 22 @ 5:57 pm