Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Beatjump on variable speed tracks isn't dynamic
When I have mapped a track with variable speeds, the beatjump only uses one speed. Usually it's not a big deal because it will usually use the original speed and I don't much use it in the variable sections, but recently it chose to use the slower speed in the middle of a track, and I can't very well loop the beats at the beginning/end if 1 jump = 2.5 actual beats.

I'm wondering if this is a limitation of the software that I just need to deal with and work around, or if there's a way to fix it so that it jumps accurately for every speed. I'm not inclined to remove the slower beat grid in the middle, as the beat grid controls the speed of my os2l lighting, but if there's nothing that can be done, I'll have to figure out something else to do, because working beatjumps are more important.

I'm just hoping that maybe I can get a solution for this issue before I remove the beat grid.

Posted Tue 10 May 22 @ 3:09 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
beatjump should use the speed at the position where it's used already.
Or do you mean you jump exactly on the boundary between 2 speeds?

Posted Tue 10 May 22 @ 5:35 am
I don't know what you mean by "used already". The problem is that it only jumps at the rate of one BPM, and not another when a track is mapped with variable BPM speeds. When the BPM changes, the beatjump doesn't jump on the beat anymore. It just skips forward (or backward) randomly in that section.

The bigger issue is when it is only jumping at the rate of a slower BPM that happens in the middle of the track and not the original BPM where there's actual beats that I'm trying to loop. Like if a beatjump of 1 skips 2.5 actual beats instead of being 1:1, I can't use it that way.

Posted Wed 11 May 22 @ 2:42 am
Where have you mapped beatjump exactly? A keyboard shortcut?

Tried here and skips correctly based on the bpm of the part that is playing.

Posted Wed 11 May 22 @ 5:58 am
It does it without having the beatjump button mapped. Just using the beatjump buttons in the software causes this behavior. The issue is when a track is has a beat grid that's mapped with variable speeds after editing the BPM map in Virtual DJ.

Posted Wed 11 May 22 @ 10:34 am
Ah I see, if you use the beatjump pad page it uses beatjump_pad and not beatjump, and that indeed doesn't use the local bpm. Will be fixed for next update.

Posted Wed 11 May 22 @ 11:47 am
Wow thank you, that was driving me nuts. I fixed the beat grid for a particular track I play a lot and suddenly the beat jump in the intro was erratic and unusable. The 16 jump has become my favorite button for short intros. For the record, I also use that pad with my DDJ-1000, which is where I first noticed this problem. I don't think that should affect anything though, as it's directly midi-mapped to that button. I'm not really sure if it's even relevant because I still have an issue with it when I'm not using the controller at all, like when I skip through a track to map lighting POIs on beat drops. Having it match the beat grid will be a real time saver in that regard.

Posted Thu 12 May 22 @ 4:41 am