Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Skins

Topic: Video skin output: Virtual stage 3D

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

PignaDjPRO InfinityMember since 2016
Hi guys, do you think it could be possible to create a Video skin output with another video on the background?
I mean something similar to the actual "BROADCASTER GFX" skin, but the background should be a video loop with a virtual stage and lights or effects animated on the beats.

I'm working with a friend of mine on a 3D virtual stage (made with blender) with 2 screen fixed over the dancefloor (where the video will be displayed)

Here an example of our project: https://fb.watch/462WYFOvD_/

With the post production (for the "static" mpeg format) we will use the "picture in picture" effect.
Does anyone know if it is possible to create a plugin that integrates virtual dj with a virtual stage like this? (And of course a specific format to save the project)

In theory (or probably in my head :) ) once a default loop video is created, the screen position should be mapped during the animation... but my knowledge ends here..

Posted Mon 08 Mar 21 @ 5:51 pm
The video loop is easy, can just export the 3D stage to a video format, and that works in VirtualDJ.

The beat part little more "tricky", but perhaps not a lot. If you know the bpm of the 3D stage/video, for example the light show blinks at say 128 bpm. When the exported video file is added to VirtualDJ, simply open it in VDJ Tag Editor and set bpm 128. And then load it in sampler (or a beatlocked deck) .

It will then play in sync with the music ... and adding it or using it in a videoskin is doable

Posted Mon 08 Mar 21 @ 5:57 pm
NicotuxHome userMember since 2014
Very interesting and you are right
To map the video to some specific position with some keystone a plugin can be created easily
The hard part is to be able to sync the image with the loop in a way to make the video stay in virtual screens

In my head : The loop as a transparent video overlay with specific cue points giving some coordinates and movements to the plugin in a way to keep in sync with the screens could be nice
With a non transparent video this may be more difficult to fit perfectly (but needs a try)
Ma need
- virtual screens coordinates
- View camera position and direction
- movement function time/frame dependent
in a way the plugin to be able to calculate coordinates for the video and apply them on the fly.
everything blender can provide

If i was to create this plugin I would try it with static images first (some slideshow with video at different positions and sizes and keystone), (nice idea for a plugin by the way)

Only the movement function interpretation does not exist and have to be guess

Posted Mon 08 Mar 21 @ 7:49 pm
Just for fun... tested a new dedicated plugin in combination with old video skin
preliminary with static videos shape form and position (can only manually resize)
https://imgur.com/a/ryxRB9v
full feature for your videos is out of my possibilities :/

Posted Wed 10 Mar 21 @ 2:47 am
Nicotux wrote :
Just for fun... tested a new dedicated plugin in combination with old video skin
preliminary with static videos shape form and position (can only manually resize)
https://imgur.com/a/ryxRB9v
full feature for your videos is out of my possibilities :/

Sorry, I've read only now.
If I understand, in your demo top video is the is the film texture with a transparent shape where the videoclip is visualized, in this case the shape for the second video is always fixed in the same place.. right?

It could be a compromise to imagine a plugin that rotate 2 or more video on background with a fixed area for the shape. In this way we could have a video like our virtual stage where the virtual camera is not floating but fixed in 2 or more different position while lights and characters will move with the standard 128 BPM settled in the original video (rune's example)

An extra feature could be to set the speed of the video for the virtual stage so you could manage the original BPM used (and use the same stage for various set played at different BPM)

Posted Thu 08 Apr 21 @ 12:45 pm
yes it was just a proof of concept using existing own videoskin
the texture is a videoskin with transparent shapes and overlay, and one video

both the top and bottom are videos with individual plugin apply to fix size and position

the 2 OSD PIP have their own shape and video too (this exist as option in the video skin)

the plugin actually can do what i was able to implement quickly : position size & some deformations ( limited to 90° Z axis rotation and parallelogram) enough to make the video fit these areas
but I don't know how to implement correctly a resize plugin with keystone or trapezoid :(
(false mirror like effect in bottom video is a sync rotation & trapeze)

to hide bad resize the shapes apply first and the overlay last

Posted Thu 08 Apr 21 @ 3:54 pm
It could be a nice start point! ;o)

Posted Fri 09 Apr 21 @ 1:25 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)