Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Crashes

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Grok32Home userMember since 2019
I am having crashes every day when I first use VDJ. Sometimes everything works but songs just wont play. Sometimes songs play extremely fast with no audio. Sometimes I get the following screen with the little blue spinning circle.

I suspect it is a windows issue but it only seems to affect VDJ. Same thing with the 2020 version. Same thing with stems turned off. I leave VDJ running 24 hrs. When I close VDJ, it won't re-open because it says running in background. When I close the background VDJ and restart, everything is fine again.

Any ideas?

http://renegade-cruisers.net/pictures/Untihtled.png

Posted Tue 01 Dec 20 @ 7:57 pm
PC or Mac, and which OS? Specs of your computer. Any controllers? Which build number? If you go back to a previous build that worked, does it still do the same thing? Are you online when the crashes occur?

Posted Wed 02 Dec 20 @ 6:13 am
Windows 10 pro. I7-6850k 32Gb ram. 3.6 ghz. 64 bit
VDJ b6173.
It does the same thing on the 2021 and 2020 versions. I even tried the 32 bit version and same result.
No controller.
I am always online.
Once I restart VDJ it works fine for many hours but not overnight and occasionally in the evening..
I have tried waiting for it to respond and it waits forever. If I click on anything it crashes and starts sending crash info to windows.
As long as I am using it, it seems ok but the problem seems to occur after several hours of sitting idle.

Posted Wed 02 Dec 20 @ 11:16 am
Does same thing happen with default skin?
I see you are using a custom skin, that might have issues perhaps..
Worth trying at least..

And keep Windows up to date, since it sounds like this happens regardless of VirtualDJ versions, so perhaps something with your Windows.

Posted Wed 02 Dec 20 @ 12:06 pm
Yes. Same thing with default skin.
Yes I suspect it is windows or some incompatibility with windows.
I guess most people don't leave VDJ open 24 hrs a day so it might not show up with most users.
Not a big problem as I just close VDJ and restart but I thought it may be useful to put the info out there in case someone else notices the problem or has some insight.

It did start after a Windows update.

Posted Wed 02 Dec 20 @ 12:11 pm
Grok32 wrote :

I guess most people don't leave VDJ open 24 hrs a day so it might not show up with most users.

Does that imply that you have the software idle, for very long time?
That might perhaps cause issues, such as external drive being slow to wake up or controller going into "standby" etc

Posted Wed 02 Dec 20 @ 12:55 pm
Yes it appears to be related to idle time but it is not due to external drives waking up as they are active elsewhere. The spinning blue circle seems to indicate it is trying to communicate with something on the internet but can not.

Posted Wed 02 Dec 20 @ 1:09 pm
This has been mysteriously resolved. I did find a typo in a custom button but it's hard to imagine how a button that's not being used could crash the program during idle time. But everything is now working fine again.

Posted Thu 17 Dec 20 @ 2:40 pm
djcelPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
If you could share your script with the typo, it could be analysed.

Posted Thu 17 Dec 20 @ 8:39 pm
I don't remember exactly which button, but I use buttons as sub-routines that can't be done in script. The typo was a misspelled name of another button that this button referenced. I didn't really pay much attention because it didn't occur to me that this was related to the crashes. I'm still not sure that it was, but it is the only thing that I changed and now it is working. The function the button was performing was to recall the songs EQ10 settings from field1. The button actually called several other buttons to decompress the 10 settings from the one field.

Posted Thu 17 Dec 20 @ 9:07 pm
locodogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
when you start getting weird [nothing wrong with that imo] with buttons calling buttons, things can go derp pretty quickly, leave it 24 hours and even the things causing slow incremental derps have a chance to "shine"

can you give an example of your weirdest - a virtualFX might be able to contain it [and if it doesn't I've got the sauce right here ]

Posted Thu 17 Dec 20 @ 9:48 pm
I guess that was my weirdest. I encode the EQ10 settings into a string and then store it in field1.
The string looks like this - A20B15C11D11E14F15G17H20I20J19X
To decode I use a lookup table to set the sliders. If string contains A20 set slider 1 to 62.5% kinda thing.
Since script doesn't allow looping, I made a set of comparisons for each slider, each with it's own button. To recall the settings its "pad 1 & pad 2 & pad 3 & pad 4 & pad 5 & pad 6 & pad 7 & pad 8 & pad 9 & pad 10"

It would be much easier with a plug-in but so far I have no knowledge of how to do that.

Posted Fri 18 Dec 20 @ 12:33 am
robll75PRO InfinityMember since 2004
The new build V8.5-64 B6156 of vdj 2020 has issues with some video causing a whole software crash, but the last build V8.5-64 6106 was ok. Please Fix

Posted Fri 18 Dec 20 @ 2:53 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)