Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: VDJ 2020 : Unable To "Reload Tags" Of Any Song - Page: 1
Hello VDJ Support Team,

I have a lot of music files (MP3 and FLAC), which already have the KEY and BPM information inside the ID3 tags.

Currently, I've been going through my collection of music and just 'refreshing' and 're-organizing' it,
so sometimes I am "Removing" and "Adding" into the Search DB.

Just today, I discovered a problem, where when I 'Reload Tags', it does not work.
Nothing happens.

I have Removed/Added those songs from SearchDB
and also Unticked/Ticked AUTO/NO to 'ExperimentalSkinEngine'.
I have also re-installed (repair) VDJ 2020 v8.5 Build 6042

Still, 'reload tags' does not work with ANY songs.

Posted Thu 30 Jul 20 @ 5:07 pm
This "reload tags" was working for the past 1-week, but suddenly just stopped working today.

Posted Thu 30 Jul 20 @ 5:14 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
Since I suppose you mean the key from the tag is not used, do you have the 'useKeyFromTag' option enabled?

Posted Thu 30 Jul 20 @ 5:16 pm
Adion wrote :
Since I suppose you mean the key from the tag is not used, do you have the 'useKeyFromTag' option enabled?

Yes, yes Adion...of course i have the 'useKeyFromTag' option enabled.
Database readonly = NO
SearchInDB = YES
autoSearchDB = NO

I already had an existing database for VDJ.
However, I processed many songs with another program, to obtain the KEY and BPM.

After that, I was reloading tags in VDJ, for the last week, just to update my database with this information of KEY and BPM.

It was working fine.
I was re-adding songs into the SearchDB.

I did not change anything.

Just suddenly, yesterday,....it stopped working, ie. "Reload Tags" does not do anything.

In fact, I can 'Go To Folder' in VDJ file browser.
See the files there.
Right-click on "Tag Editor", but the KEY and BPM information are empty
(even though their ID3 tags have the KEY and BPM already).

So, I click on "Reload Tags"....and nothing happens.

Posted Thu 30 Jul 20 @ 6:02 pm
Does the tag editor show the key field below the key editor (Like "Tag: ...") ?

Posted Thu 30 Jul 20 @ 6:20 pm
Just to update....
...the "reload tags" is working again, but it's still stuck for a particular album, which are all .FLAC files.

The .FLAC files have standard ASCII filenames, however in the ID3 tags there are Unicode characters too.

I don't know what I did, but I just ticked/unticked some options in VDJ settings.
I did not reload VDJ, but after this,...some music files started to "reload tags" successfully again.
( I changed the 'experimentalSkinEngine' from AUTO to NO as well , and maybe this was the culprit? ...but I'm not sure. )

However, it's the same .FLAC album that refuses to "reload tags" in VDJ 2020.

Adion wrote :
Does the tag editor show the key field below the key editor (Like "Tag: ...") ?

No.

I know that in 'Tag Editor', just below the BPM and KEY fields, there's a small bit of information "Tag: ..."
which is what VDJ sees in the ID3 tags of the music files.

I just don't see it.

Posted Thu 30 Jul 20 @ 6:47 pm
just an update.
the "Reload Tags" has been working, for the past 2-3 days now,
and it worked on hundreds of music files.

however, it simply would not work, i.e. "reload tags" would not work on a particular .FLAC album.
for more information, that .FLAC album had Unicode characters in the ID3 tag title and album name.

i don't know if that matters or if it's a bug, but i had to manually enter the KEY and BPM information into VDJ.

Posted Sun 02 Aug 20 @ 4:05 pm
Would it be possible to send me one of these files so I can have a look?

Posted Sun 02 Aug 20 @ 4:19 pm
Adion wrote :
Would it be possible to send me one of these files so I can have a look?

OK.

Posted Tue 04 Aug 20 @ 2:34 pm
Thanks, the file you sent had both a KEY and INITIALKEY field, but perhaps the KEY field was written by VDJ after you manually adjusted the key for this file.
VirtualDJ indeed didn't read the 'INITIALKEY' field, this will be fixed in the next update so that it will also look for this field.

Posted Tue 04 Aug 20 @ 5:17 pm
Adion wrote :
Thanks, the file you sent had both a KEY and INITIALKEY field, but perhaps the KEY field was written by VDJ after you manually adjusted the key for this file.

Yes. You are correct, Adion.
VDJ was picking up the KEY / BPM information from "Reload Tags",
so I manually save the KEY information using VDJ's 'Tag Editor'.

These were the same files, sent to yourself, _after_ VDJ tag-edited them.

Posted Tue 04 Aug 20 @ 6:07 pm
Adion wrote :
VirtualDJ indeed didn't read the 'INITIALKEY' field, this will be fixed in the next update so that it will also look for this field.

Adion,
I downloaded VDJ 2020 [v8.5-32 B6059] and that "Reload Tag" kind of did not work.

So, I had another album of .FLAC files.
They were already in SearchDB, before (from v7 days)

After installing Build 6059, I did a 'Reload Tag' on these same .FLAC files.
The KEY information did not change.

I checked the ID3 tags and there were these tags:
KEY
INITIALKEY
ENERGY
ENERGYLEVEL

( KEY and ENERGYLEVEL had some 'coded information' in there ).

So, after deleting KEY and ENERGYLEVEL,
the 'Reload Tags' worked in VDJ.

Otherwise, VDJ would not 'Reload Tag' from INITIALKEY if there was KEY information present in both the .FLAC and inside the VDJ database.

Posted Thu 06 Aug 20 @ 7:01 pm
another interesting thing about VDJ 2020 build-6059,
"Reload Tags" only loads the KEY information but not BPM.

When I restarted the VDJ software, then I can see BPM information.

This was not happening before build-6059.

Posted Mon 10 Aug 20 @ 9:51 pm
Just edited some mp3 files using mp3tag and the album, year and genre tags do not show when i use the reload tag feature. The album covers that I added show and the new songs that add to the folder show the tags when scanned, but previous songs do not show the new tag information. I have tried reloading tags and analyzing them again

Posted Sat 17 Oct 20 @ 2:39 am
djPRO InfinityMember since 2020
I'm in the same boat. I've updated my tags via the Apple Music app (iTunes), but Reloading the iTunes folder in VDJ2020 isn't doing anything. Do we know if VDJ Support is aware of this issue and working on it?

Posted Wed 21 Oct 20 @ 9:04 pm
I'm having the same problem... Cannot reload tags on certain files after running them through MIK ... Virtual DJ stays stuck on the cached version of the tag and does not update comments field... even moving them.. touching file creation/modified date does not work.... seems to be a bit random as some files do reload tags but the ones that wont always dont... when i select reload tags i dont see the counter above the fileview... it just seems to do nothing. This is on very latest version updated today V8.5-64 b6878 but I have been suffering from this for around a year or so to various degree's.

I initially thought that I hadn't updated the tags or that the tags were not written but I've just sat down for an hour and gone through the problematic files on this machine... some of them did update, some didn't have the tags written but some files seem to stay stuck with the first version of the tag that VDJ see's and will never update... at least for the comments tag which is the one that I was trying to get working...

Posted Thu 31 Mar 22 @ 6:30 pm
miren2kPRO InfinityMember since 2022
user22253198 wrote :
I'm having the same problem... Cannot reload tags on certain files after running them through MIK ... Virtual DJ stays stuck on the cached version of the tag and does not update comments field... even moving them.. touching file creation/modified date does not work.... seems to be a bit random as some files do reload tags but the ones that wont always dont... when i select reload tags i dont see the counter above the fileview... it just seems to do nothing. This is on very latest version updated today V8.5-64 b6878 but I have been suffering from this for around a year or so to various degree's.

I initially thought that I hadn't updated the tags or that the tags were not written but I've just sat down for an hour and gone through the problematic files on this machine... some of them did update, some didn't have the tags written but some files seem to stay stuck with the first version of the tag that VDJ see's and will never update... at least for the comments tag which is the one that I was trying to get working...

I'm having this exact same issue and have been troubleshooting for 3 hours now, this is incredibly frustrating, what's the point in paying for these things when they don't do what you bought them for?!

Is anyone at VDJ aware of this issue? it seems like it effects a lot of people and seems like it has done for years?

I have nothing different to add to the quoted comment, same issue, some tracks just don't update when reloading and remain using cached comment tags when the actual tag itself has an altered (as can be seen using tag viewing software). There is nothing inherently different about the files that don't update, they're all standard mp3 files.

I'm dreading the fact that I may have to individually alter the comments for 100s of tracks. Surely there is a way to fix or update the software, or a better work around?? I don't want to remove my library and re import all these tracks, that would mean re making all hotcue functions!!

Posted Wed 06 Apr 22 @ 1:32 am
miren2kPRO InfinityMember since 2022
Okay, finally after those 3 hours and the comment above, I actually managed to solve my issue

I downloaded the mac software "tag editor free" (had to pay for it to edit as many tags that I needed)

I opened all my tracks up on there and batch removed all the comments on every track, (yes these comments were the ones created from MIK10, there were no sign of the weird cached comments still showing in VDJ) then ran the re-tag existing files function in MIK10

Now all of a sudden they were able to refresh in VDJ.

Basically the key thing here is the fact I edited the files in the tag editor program I got first (rather than MIK10) - this may have done something to cause VDJ to know it has to refresh the data?

Posted Wed 06 Apr 22 @ 3:02 am
It's possible that there was more than one comment tag in the file, if so VDJ will read the first.

Posted Wed 06 Apr 22 @ 4:01 am
Hi, I use Mixed in Key 10 to define key and energy level. Using MP3tag to update and review other tags.

This works without any problem in VDJ (latest version) for mp3 files. Now I switched to flac and noticed that the key is not visible in VDJ; even after reloading tags. Load key from track parameter is enabled. I checked mp3tag and Initialkey (written from MIK10) is present.

Posted Thu 16 Jun 22 @ 6:40 am
91%