Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Is mapping an issue with my Traktor Kontroler S2?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hello, all! First, I am brand new to using a laptop/controller for DJing. I am still new to DJing period. That said, I didn’t want to spend a huge amount of money on something I had no idea I would like or not. I purchased a Traktor Kontroler S2 (MK1 I think) locally. I’m pretty sure I downloaded the driver software correctly. When I plug the S2 into the laptop, a message flashed saying I had no license for the controller. I immediately purchased a license for the S2 through VDJ.

When I plug the S2 into the laptop things get confusing. All the lights operate on the controller. When I manipulate the knobs and slides, you can see the same manipulation in VDJ. The jog wheel works as advertised as well as seeing the operation in VDJ. Pressing “Shift+Play” the key lock engages.

My problem: When I press and hold the “Shift” button on the S2 alone the song plays only if I hold the button down. When I release the “shift” button on the S2 it’s the same as turning the power off to a turntable. Spins down slowly. When I press the “Play” button on the S2, it lights up on the S2 and you can see the button actuation on VDJ, but the track doesn’t play. Pressing the “cue” button on the S2 correlates to VDJ, but again nothing happens.

What I’m trying to prevent is going into the mapping on my own and making a bad problem worse. Any help you could provide would be awesome.

Phil

Posted Sun 08 Sep 19 @ 3:52 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
Can you do this test please ?
- Start a track using the PLAY button.
- Open VDJ Settings, go to Controllers tab and then select the Traktor S2 from the top-left list.
- Press and hold SHIFT button (try not to touch or move anything else on your controller)
- Notice the Key Learn small window at the right side. Is it only the SHIFT key that you get there, or more keys ?

The only logical explanation is a hardware fault, where JOG(WHEEL) key messages are sent from the device when SHIFT is held down. If that is the case, then you would get the Jogwheel key(s) in the Key Learn window along with the SHIFT one.

If Jog is somehow engaged, try to map the SHIFT button, just as .. shift , so remove every other action after that, and see if that helps.

Posted Sun 08 Sep 19 @ 6:36 pm
There are more than just the "Shift" key displayed. Its like that when I press both "Shift" buttons

Posted Sun 08 Sep 19 @ 11:40 pm
When I press Shift:
Deck B

Deck A

When I press Play:

When I release Play:

Posted Mon 09 Sep 19 @ 2:06 am
Find the key "JOG_PRESSURE" on your mapper and click on it
It should have the following action pre-defined:
param_bigger 0.8 ? touchwheel_touch on : touchwheel_touch off

Change the number to a bigger value, save the mapper and try again.
Example:
param_bigger 0.85 ? touchwheel_touch on : touchwheel_touch off

The maximum this value can get is 1.0

Technical stuff:
Kontrol S2 does not have "touch" sensors on its jogs. It has "pressure" sensors instead.
These sensors should report how much pressure you apply on the jogs. However they don't work exactly like that.
They report how much pressure the jogs apply on the sensor itself. Which means that even when you don't touch the jogs at all the sensor still reports a value. To make things worst, each jog can (and most likely will) report different values when you don't touch them.
Therefore you have to experiment a while until you find the correct value for your own jogs.
Start by doing small increments 0.81, 0.82, 0.83 e.t.c. and test functionality on both jogs.
Take notice that the bigger the number you set, the "harder" you'll have to push your jogs in order to scratch.
Another thing you should be careful with:
If jog on deck A works fine with 0.8 (and deck A plays fine too) but jog on deck B requires you to raise the value close to 1.0 (above 0.95) then most likely the jog, or jog sensor on deck B is damaged and needs to be fixed.

Posted Mon 09 Sep 19 @ 7:05 am
Awesome. I'll try that when I get home from work! Do you think the jog wheel settings impact the "Play" button at all?

Posted Mon 09 Sep 19 @ 10:53 am
When the jogwheels are set to vinyl mode they DO have an impact if the track will play or not (because touch sensor tells the software to "hold" the track for you to scratch)

Posted Mon 09 Sep 19 @ 12:19 pm
I changed the pressure from 0.80 up to 0.90 (incrementally of course, and the play buttons now work. Thank you guys for your help. I would have never figured it out.

Here's to no more glitches~ Cheers!

Phil

Posted Mon 09 Sep 19 @ 8:50 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)