Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Unwanted Noise

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hi, I am running a reloop touch dj controller through either my Bose T4S or my Behringher Xenyx QX1222usb mixers, into my Bose L1-B2. I am having a problem when connected this way with noise. To clarify: my laptop is connected to the reloop controller via USB, my controller then connected through the BAL L&R outputs into either of the mixers. If the laptop is connected directly to either mixer via USB there is no noise. The noise is like static, crackling. It seems to be coming from the laptop itself. Any suggestions on how to clean it up?

Posted Mon 15 Jul 19 @ 3:07 am
First of all you should not feed BALANCED outputs to UNBALANCED inputs.
So, try to use the RCA (unbalanced) outputs of your controller in order to connect to your mixer.

BALANCED to UNBALANCED signal convertion cannot be done properly with just a cable...

Posted Mon 15 Jul 19 @ 10:00 am
PhantomDeejay wrote :
First of all you should not feed BALANCED outputs to UNBALANCED inputs.
So, try to use the RCA (unbalanced) outputs of your controller in order to connect to your mixer.

BALANCED to UNBALANCED signal convertion cannot be done properly with just a cable...

Thanks for that, interesting to note. But all the mixer inputs I am using are balanced. I get the same noise by using the RCA's as well.
I have done some more research & testing and believe it to be a ground loop. I got rid of the static by changing the laptop charger to the original ASUS double insulated one.
As I had been using a cheap Chinese generic replacement one. There is still some hum. Which I hope is eliminated when I connect this, iFi iDefender 3.0 USB pass through dongle into the laptops USB output to the controller. Will know in about a week when it arrives. Hopefully it's all sorted.

Posted Mon 15 Jul 19 @ 10:12 pm
Balanced mixer inputs are mic level, not suitable for the high level output of a controller.

Posted Tue 16 Jul 19 @ 11:40 am
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
Most offer a -20 odd dB reduction [pad?] button don't they? Usual by the gain

but this sounds like earth loop.

Posted Tue 16 Jul 19 @ 11:44 am
groovindj wrote :
Balanced mixer inputs are mic level, not suitable for the high level output of a controller.

Many mixers today have balanced inputs to also cope with high level pro signals of +4dBu pro grade level simply by adjusting the gain of the input stage.
It would be terrible if you were forced to use unbalanced inputs just because you’ve got a hot signal.

Posted Tue 16 Jul 19 @ 12:11 pm
Mobile Zombie wrote :
It would be terrible if you were forced to use unbalanced inputs just because you’ve got a hot signal.

You are not forced. If your mixer doesn't have balanced line inputs you can always use Direct Injection Boxes to convert High Z to Low Z signal and use MIC (Low Z) inputs.
In fact even if a mixer has balanced line inputs on most PA setups High Z devices get connected to the mixer with D.I. Boxes (for various reasons that are beyond the scope of this thread)

Posted Tue 16 Jul 19 @ 12:18 pm
Mobile Zombie wrote :

Many mixers today

The cheap Behringer mixer he's using? I doubt it.

Anyway, the noise is probably coming from the Reloop Touch. You could probably kill it off with a ground loop isolator.

Posted Tue 16 Jul 19 @ 4:29 pm
NicotuxHome userMember since 2014
Behringher Xenyx QX1222usb have both usb soundboard balanced & unbalanced inputs
Cheap due to low quality electronic passive components. But not one of the the worth ones.
Only sound issues with it : low quality sliders not working anymore and capacitors making equaliser not stable in time
It"s better than many low cost controllers sound board

Posted Tue 16 Jul 19 @ 11:05 pm
Does it do it both with the laptop plugged in and when the laptop is only running on battery?

Posted Wed 17 Jul 19 @ 1:45 am
Use a ground canceller connector. It is what makes the plug from a 3 prong to a 2 prong.

Posted Thu 25 Jul 19 @ 1:27 pm
I have fixed the issue. It was bad ground loop hum from the reloop touch. Fixed with a Behringer HD 400 Hun Destroyer. To a lesser degree was some noise from the laptop.
This was fixed by swapping the power supply from a Chinese replacement back to the original Asus one. I think the Asus is double insulated, the other is not?
I also added an ifi i-Defender 3 USB hum eliminator. I now have a perfectly clean sound. Thanks for your help guys.

Posted Fri 27 Sep 19 @ 12:53 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)