Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Trying Virtual DJ 8 - Some Bugs / Questions / Comments from a New User

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

djkkt2Home userMember since 2019
I've been experimenting with the free trial. I got into it after reading an article on djtechtools about it. On the whole I'm fairly impressed. The level of flexibility is amazing. However, I've encountered a number of quirks so far. I've figured out a lot via Google/YouTube/etc but there's a few things I've encountered that have caused difficulties, noted below. Would appreciate help in understanding and/or resolving them so I can consider making the switch.

I'm on a Windows 7 system using a Pioneer DDJ-SX2 controller. Program itself runs fine, no slowdowns or crashes (both of which sometimes happens for me in Serato).

-cues are from Serato, but they load into the software a fraction of a beat late.
i have set getCuesFromTags to 'always', and have batch re-loaded the tags over and
over and over but it always ends up wrong.

-no way to mute channels such as a video channel with its own background music.
adjusting the volume adjusts the brightness of the image instead of the videos sound level.

-can only use the mouse to adjust the position of the most recently loaded deck.

-left channel stops making sounds for no discernible reason, out of the speakers not
headphones. checked all knobs, sliders, etc. other audio (including Serato) played
normally. obviously pretty bad problem for a dj to have.

-I can find no option to change the Pioneer DDJ-SX2 knob click/push functionality to
match how it works in Serato (ie enabling one to back into and out of folders). instead
the default is to load a track, which is a strange choice for the default since there are dedicated
buttons on the controller for that function already.

thanks again

Posted Sun 12 May 19 @ 5:57 am
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
djkkt2 wrote :
-cues are from Serato, but they load into the software a fraction of a beat late.
i have set getCuesFromTags to 'always', and have batch re-loaded the tags over and
over and over but it always ends up wrong.

The developers will have to check this, how far out are we talking? Is it audioably out of just visually? Is it early or late?
djkkt2 wrote :
-no way to mute channels such as a video channel with its own background music.
adjusting the volume adjusts the brightness of the image instead of the videos sound level.

settings search "videoVolumeLink", set to no.
djkkt2 wrote :
-can only use the mouse to adjust the position of the most recently loaded deck.

I guess you're using the default waves [blue & red overlaid] Switch to the horizontal scratch wave [the squiggle on the top line near where it says 2 /4decks]
When the waves are overlaid you can only move the selected deck
djkkt2 wrote :
-left channel stops making sounds for no discernible reason, out of the speakers not
headphones. checked all knobs, sliders, etc. other audio (including Serato) played
normally. obviously pretty bad problem for a dj to have.

More info needed, for how long? does the deck say mute? what do you do to get sound back?
djkkt2 wrote :
-I can find no option to change the Pioneer DDJ-SX2 knob click/push functionality to
match how it works in Serato (ie enabling one to back into and out of folders). instead
the default is to load a track, which is a strange choice for the default since there are dedicated
buttons on the controller for that function already.

You move back to folders with shift+browseEncoder or the back button.

But since this is vdj you want you can remap it if you like [wow serato calls that an "option" XD],
That will be controllers section in settings, find the entry called "browse" and change the script from
browser_enter
to
browser_window 'folders' ? holding ? browser_folder : browser_enter : browser_folder

If focused on folders pressing for 1/2 second will expand the folder, quick press enters the songs, if not focused on folders press will move back to folders.
This is a guess at how it works with serato if needs be describe it more and I can give you a better script.

Posted Sun 12 May 19 @ 7:20 am
djkkt2 wrote :
a strange choice for the default

Now see I don't think so, because if I'm holding my knob (ahem) then I'd rather keep my hand where it is, rather than have to move it somewhere else.

Posted Sun 12 May 19 @ 7:30 am
Dj-RFTDPRO InfinityMember since 2018
djkkt2 wrote :
... so I can consider making the switch.

Go Without a second thought .... buy the pro version and you are done with digital djing forever ...
All the probs that you mention is a peace off cake for the Support Team of VDJ 8 ...

Posted Sun 12 May 19 @ 6:18 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
locodog wrote :

djkkt2 wrote :

I guess you're using the default waves [blue & red overlaid] When the waves are overlaid you can only move the selected deck

With the default waveforms, you can use right-click and drag to move the position of the "other" deck.

But not sure if that's what the user is asking.

Posted Mon 13 May 19 @ 2:25 pm
thanks for the tips!

unfortunately since my free trial ran out I won't be able to try them. maybe I can try again in a few years; I assume the free trial 'resets' eventually at some point?

Posted Mon 30 Sep 19 @ 6:15 pm
The free trial resets on demand and not on some predefined time out.

However, the good news are that the one month free trial has been reset for all users with the release of VirtualDJ 2020, so that they can give it a try out again!

Posted Tue 01 Oct 19 @ 10:37 am
nice, that's good to know. thank you for replying!

it's pretty sophisticated software compared to Serato, but pretty intimidating too. For those of us not in place to make money from DJing, it's hard to splurge on something like this without feeling fully comfortable using it.

at any rate, I aim to make the most of the next trial I do, now that I have some good tips as well as awareness of this forum.

Posted Wed 02 Oct 19 @ 4:43 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)