Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Will there ever be an industry standard for database info?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Just reading through various DJ related forums it seems database compatibility is a major issue, and one that people comment on all the time.

Denon Engine, Serato, Rekordbox, Traktor and VDJ all use differently formatted databases of sorts with some info in the file tags and some in the DB, or whatever.

It's a constantly moving target.

Great for someone like me who only uses VDJ (and Engine for backup tracks on my MCX8000) but compatible databases with easy info transfer would make a lot of DJs lives easier, especially those who use more than one software for playing or prepping tracks.

Pioneer seem also to want to have an online database of scanned track info on their servers with the latest RB beta.

Thoughts?

Posted Thu 14 Feb 19 @ 4:02 pm
The databases are expanding in what info they hold all the time. For instance VDJ holds a lot of POI info for each track that noone else has
But a common conversion format with the minimum info that every software has in the database would be cool

Posted Thu 14 Feb 19 @ 5:42 pm
Well they're all competitors, aren't they - and no one wants to make it easy for their rivals. :-)

Really, the only common denominator is that they all work with iTunes. In that respect I can understand why some people do everything in iTunes. At least it allows any of the various programs to read the info...

Then there's Rekord Buddy. Good idea, but poorly implemented - in that it's still Mac only, after being around for years. It only gets updated once in a blue moon, doesn't support VDJ and TTBOMK it's still in beta (for which you're expected to pay).

It would be nice if all the devs were besties, all played nice together - but I can't see it happening. In the same way that IWBNI all cars used the same spares, or all supermarkets accepted tokens/points from the others.....

Posted Thu 14 Feb 19 @ 5:45 pm
For almost two years I've been waiting for two sofware developers (company) that are working on a solution to this issue:

1 - Alchimie Titanium (https://alchimiedj.com/)

2 - Spintools (https://spintools.io/)

Everyday I check on those two web sites while sipping my coffee.

Posted Thu 14 Feb 19 @ 5:52 pm
There's got to be money in it for someone though. Seems incredible there's no-one embraced this even as a 3rd party successfully.

Apple keep people using their expensive phones by creating a walled garden. Not sure this works in the DJ world.

Posted Thu 14 Feb 19 @ 6:27 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)