Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: If you want a good laugh, watch this video... - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

Posted Sun 20 Jan 19 @ 1:49 pm
He obviously has no idea what he is talking about .... and Yeah i'm a DJ in the USA

what a good laugh thanks Groovin

Posted Sun 20 Jan 19 @ 4:06 pm
he lost every bit of credibility within the first minute..

Posted Sun 20 Jan 19 @ 5:41 pm
PhilWPRO InfinityMember since 2011
The comments about his video are a bit of fun.

Posted Mon 21 Jan 19 @ 3:44 am
Is it really so Serato focused in USA ? (for the club scene)

Posted Mon 21 Jan 19 @ 8:15 am
I wouldn't know...

the last club that tried to open as our competition went on in facebook comments about how they had "'state of the art professional gear that starts with an "S" and a "P""

we buried them in less than a month. they were open two nights and the last two were just nights to get rid of alcohol stocks with their friends.

not Professional?

Posted Mon 21 Jan 19 @ 12:39 pm
The never ending comparison story. He has some points you can not ignore. Now at the moment I don't work on a club or clubs (there are almost no clubs in PR), I work at a bar and private events, so that gives me the freedom to use what ever I like, software speaking.

Around 2001 to 2003 I found Virtual Dj, it was at version 3.0. When I tested it, the program was so damm good that I decided to buy it I remember thinking "Dam this program is so good, the programmers deserve getting payed for such a good job"; I pay $150.00 downloaded version ($200 box) at that moment. I've been using it ever since.

I do own licences and hardware for almost all software manufacturer: Traktor, Serato Scratch Live, Serato Dj Pro, M-Audio Torq, Rekordbox, VirtualDj. I love them all, I use them all from time to time, they are all great software; kudos to the programmers. But my main working software, my money making software, the one that has all that I need, rock solid that everthing works on, light on the system MAC/PC with all the tools I need is VirtualDJ.

Ahh by the way, I do love the VirtualDJ GUI, I don't even use any other skin but the Default.

To me, VirtualDj is just, THINKING SMART.

my 2 cents

Posted Mon 21 Jan 19 @ 12:51 pm
VDJ RonPRO InfinityMember since 2010
I've just got to chip in..well done Atomix, last night you along with Microsoft, enabled a technically almost perfect 7 hour video karaoke set. He touched on the controversial video issue? VDJ is the video king and I say video is the future as well as being the past for the few. Time will tell but I think he is plain old fashioned.
I'm not laughing. I had to remove my VDJ logo and I'm battling to change the way DJ's work at the heart of a famous city. I ,OK Atomix, might win !!!
Mind you Pioneer astounded me when they finally decided that they needed to dominate the controller market..from nowhere, in the space of a few years, they became the top manufacturer. Rekordbox?!

PS You need to be computer capable to be a DJ in 2019..rejecting new technology is just plain stupid. VDJ is full of new things. We can use what we want and for example I don't use or need "shaders" because I use all video and karaoke.

Posted Mon 21 Jan 19 @ 2:35 pm
I watched the video in question and don't know what to say, except I don't agree with the arguments made.

To cut the long story short. Tried Serato that came bundled with my controller. Tried Rekordbox because it's Pioneer - it must be great. Tried Virtual DJ and was blown away how much better it is in every way that is important to me:
0) quick to start and stable (never once had it crashed)
1) insanely fast to import new song that is not yet analyzed (on a Core i5-3210m CPU from 2012)
1a) light on the CPU usage while doing so
2) internal search for the whole drive or multiple drives (Serato and RB only search within crates/playlists). And I mapped it the way to just hit the spacebar and start typing.
3) no problem with the sound on really low latency (sounded pretty amazing with DDJ-SR on Void Air Motion system which I'd say is the most Hi-Fi like sound system I worked on)
4) where I had the chance to work with big CDJ's, I just plugged them in and everything worked great with no additional fees (no moving waveform on screens but ok, I guess others are the same in that regard).
5) added bonus - Deezer!

Some features could be easier to use, but that's another story.
Default skin is not so much to my taste (some changes could be made there, at least as an official alternative) so I found a skin that works for me and customized it a bit.
And that's it.

Posted Mon 21 Jan 19 @ 3:39 pm
No other DJ software comes close when it comes to running video.

Here’s a sample of what I do

Posted Mon 21 Jan 19 @ 4:12 pm
I'm glad to know I have provided you with such joyous entertainment. Honestly, when I did this video it was mainly about my experiences, and those around me in regards to Los Angeles club life. I have DJ'd at tons of clubs in the Los Angeles and San Diego areas and my experience is that none of the DJs use Virtual DJ. I'm not talking about one man DJing all night but swapping off with 2nd and 3rd DJs on a given night. I was unaware of the passionate community of DJs that use this on a regular basis. My intention was never to belittle the product, as I said, use whatever works for you, BUT I stand by how ugly the skin is. (IMHO, don't shoot me) So what I've done is I went ahead and purchased the subscription to VDJ Pro and I will use it use it and give my review on the product. If the product is as good as you guys swear by, I will say it. I'm a man of my word.

Posted Tue 22 Jan 19 @ 6:02 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
I think the main problem with your argument was the 'because it's standard' part, which imo is a very weak argument to make for software.
Even in clubs where you use the club's equipment, almost all dj's bring their own laptop anyway, and that dj will typically be the only one operating that laptop.
This means that it doesn't matter at all which software is running on that laptop, as long as you can do your job.
(And even if there was already a computer that you had to use, VirtualDJ hardly has any dependencies, so you could just copy the virtualdj executable and mac app package on a usb stick together with your music and still be able to use VirtualDJ without installing anything on that computer)

So you just need a couple of usb cables to connect to the cdj's and you're ready to go.

Posted Tue 22 Jan 19 @ 7:14 am
My 2 cents. It has been my experience, that if you are "unaware", your opinions don't matter. It is not a good idea to make statements, positive or negative if you don't have the facts. You said several times in you piece that you did not know certain things. You should have gotten the facts, before making a video about things you don't know. Just like you should know what any booth has "before" you get there. Who shows up at a club, without checking it out way before the show?

I know a lot of people care about other peoples reviews, I'm not one of them. I use what equipment works best for me. What most people fail to realize is, the definition of "club" varies. You may think that "club" means some massive complex with "top name DJ". If there are 2 or 50 of these in a state, do you have any idea how many other "clubs" are in the state? Thousands. They all have DJ's, and you have not been to a fraction of them. So my advice would be to get the facts that you lack, and don't put too much emphasis on your review of this or any software. At the end of the day, it only matters to you. I did not take offence to the video, because I don't think you were prepared, and lacked the knowledge to make comparisons. I did watch the whole video, because I understood every word you said. Your presentation was good.

Posted Tue 22 Jan 19 @ 7:47 am
Well done Terry for coming on here and posting. Hey, maybe this is the start of something new for you. You could end up being a VDJ user!

Posted Tue 22 Jan 19 @ 5:08 pm
Adion wrote :
I think the main problem with your argument was the 'because it's standard' part, which imo is a very weak argument to make for software.
Even in clubs where you use the club's equipment, almost all dj's bring their own laptop anyway, and that dj will typically be the only one operating that laptop.....

I agreed with you 100%

Posted Tue 22 Jan 19 @ 6:44 pm

"You may think that "club" means some massive complex with "top name DJ". If there are 2 or 50 of these in a state, do you have any idea how many other "clubs" are in the state? Thousands. They all have DJ's, and you have not been to a fraction of them. So my advice would be to get the facts that you lack, and don't put too much emphasis on your review of this or any software. At the end of the day, it only matters to you. I did not take offence to the video, because I don't think you were prepared, and lacked the knowledge to make comparisons. I did watch the whole video, because I understood every word you said. Your presentation was good."

You have summed up my video. The first thing I said, was this is only for Los Angeles, So. California where I normally DJ. I never said the world. The basis of the video was focused on my experience with club life and software/hardware people use. Traktor, Virtual DJ and Djay Pro were example of other software. While I did misspeak about the compatibility (I was remembering from an older software) I stand by my belief that in my area, most people / and DJs I know and work with don't use virtual DJ. I also stand by my belief in the methodology of the Software, or at least how it's marketed. I do believe most people are for whatever reason overly sensitive in the software they use, whether it be serato, rekordbox, VDJ, traktor, MAC or PC. People don't like their choices questioned. I am not locked to any one piece of equipment or software. I use what is best for me, as do you, which is why I'm here. I will use VDJ unbiasedly, and give my opinion on the product with comparisons to the software that I know like the back of my hand. This should be fun. Who knows, I might end up loving it.

I appreciate your honesty. If you do watch any of my future videos, I think you will see that I'm pretty fair and honest about everything.

Posted Tue 22 Jan 19 @ 7:48 pm
Cleveland Terry, you don't deserve a ton of hate bro, you were pretty diplomatic in what you said and tried to acknowledge other perspectives. Don't crucify the guy, he even said he'd try it out, so give him a chance people.

It's just, what gets VDJ fans mad is that we have a VERY (hell, THE MOST) capable software that gets no love, simply due to a "that's the way we've always done it" mentality. After trialing the full versions of Traktor, and Serato...There's no way in hell that I'd use anything but VDJ Pro.

Posted Wed 23 Jan 19 @ 2:24 am
I can agree with Cleveland Terry on one thing, The default skin is ugly , Very glad for all the different skin choices out there.

Posted Wed 23 Jan 19 @ 2:41 am
A Man and His Music wrote :
My 2 cents. It has been my experience, that if you are "unaware", your opinions don't matter. It is not a good idea to make statements, positive or negative if you don't have the facts..

I agree but In these forums, it seems to be almost a requirement to spread bad information without facts. Facts can bring on name calling while bad information is most welcome.

Posted Wed 23 Jan 19 @ 3:50 am
I think you can attribute a lot of what DJs think is standard because they just want to follow others. No one can face being different anymore. DJing has taken a turn a bit like fashion, you have to "In" to be accepted. So they think unless i own and use Serato and a mac then i cannot be taken seriously.

I remember many years ago when i switched from vinyl to using CD's when Pioneer introduced the first set of CDJ500 (remember those!) The hate i received from most circles that it wasn't real DJing etc was probably worse then the whole software debate. But now look where we are, carrying round laptop and USB keys.

Unfortunately in this day and age of where social media counts (i don't use social media except Twitter to stay up to date on current affairs and sports etc), its seems its all about looking the part rather then actually being any good at your craft. In fact i have turned many a Serato user to VDJ over the last few years once i show off the feature its rich in compared to their so called "standard" software.

I have no hate for Serato, it was infact my first choice of DJ software back in the day of Scratch Live. But after using for a while and the whole SL-1 box routine of plugging and unplugging wires while trying to DJ, coupled with the tedious task of scanning and sorting your music, i decided it wasnt for me. Eventually i moved to VDJ after seeing another DJ use it and have never looked back.

In fact i can say in the 10+ years of using VDJ i have never been let down by the software, controller yes, software no.

Posted Wed 23 Jan 19 @ 11:04 am
45%