Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Popping noises

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hello all,

Setup: MSI Dominator GT70
(2) Denon 3900s
Denon x1600 mixer
VDJ 8

If I run an ipod or phone via auxiliary to RCA inputs on any channel in my mixer, everything works perfect. When I run sound through VDJ into the mixer, I get popping from the speakers. I can hear the popping at both low and high volumes. It is inconsistent and randomly comes/goes. This issue does not occur when I am using just my laptop with the laptop speakers.

I've adjusted the denon dj asio driver buffer settings and ultra latency (in the vdj settings), but neither of these alter this issue. The only other lead I have on fixing this issue is that having a computer running at a 192-bit memory interface could be the issue, which I'm not familiar with.

Does anyone have any other advice? Thanks!

Posted Fri 11 Jan 19 @ 1:07 am
PhilWPRO InfinityMember since 2011
Try using the WASAPI drivers. Many of us with Denon gear have been unable to get ASIO working properly.

I had intermittent popping on my MC6000 using ASIO. If you don’t scratch WASAPI may suit your setup.

Posted Fri 11 Jan 19 @ 1:18 am
PhilW wrote :
Try using the WASAPI drivers. Many of us with Denon gear have been unable to get ASIO working properly.

I had intermittent popping on my MC6000 using ASIO. If you don’t scratch WASAPI may suit your setup.

I will try this and report back asap. I stopped using WASAPI drivers because any sounds on my computer would also go through the system and my computer volume was controlling the overall volume to my mixer. I went to playback devices (thinking my realtek computer speakers were active) and there was only one denon mixer [active] under the playback devices. The regular denon asio driver option (DENON DJ ASIO DRIVER (ASIO)) does not play my pc sounds through the system.

Posted Fri 11 Jan 19 @ 1:35 am
PhilWPRO InfinityMember since 2011
Good luck. You are right that there should be another audio output for system sounds. Check your audio config in Windows and make sure it is set to use your internal sound card. I agree you don’t want system sounds to play out.

Posted Fri 11 Jan 19 @ 2:20 am
PhilW wrote :
Good luck. You are right that there should be another audio output for system sounds. Check your audio config in Windows and make sure it is set to use your internal sound card. I agree you don’t want system sounds to play out.

So this time I used WASAPI drivers and I did not hear any popping after 45 minutes of play. I checked playback devices and I disabled the denon mixer outputs for 1/2, 3/4, 5/6, and 7/8 even though I don't think these had an affect on anything anyway. My computers 'realtek high definition audio default device' [the computer speakers] was active, but there was still no sound output from the computer. I'm not sure why this random inconsistency of computer sound output was there last time and not this time, but I'll keep an eye on that.

On a side note, what is the actual difference between the denon x1600 WASAPI and regular 'ASIO DRIVER' driver output? From what I remember in the past, virtual dj would randomly have the WASAPI drivers appear and disappear. I confidently remember this driver option not always showing up in VDJ. Do you recall this at all? I bring it up because if WASAPI drivers fixed the issue, I don't want to have it not be there randomly.

Also, I am using the Denon DJ version 1.0.1 driver, NOT the only asio driver that would actually show you each soundcard connected to the computer (i.e. both my sc3900's would also appear in this asio driver).

Posted Fri 11 Jan 19 @ 5:57 am
You should be good with WASAPI
I have used it with Denon stuff for a long time (both MC6000mk1 and HC4500 before)
No issues at all.
Always shows up in VDJ so why it did not occasionally for you I cant explain.
There is also a setting ’exclusive audio access’ in audio options you can play with either yes or no and see what gives you best performance.

Posted Fri 11 Jan 19 @ 6:56 am
SEE NOW WASAPI DISAPPEARS, WHAT GIVES??? I have changed nothing since using this last night.

VDJ seems very inconsistent (like my hunch about wasapi randomly disappearing earlier in my post). Now, all of a sudden, this random ASIO4ALL v2 appears? Can anyone explain this?

Posted Sat 12 Jan 19 @ 4:09 am
See now the wasapi disappears, what gives??? I have changed nothing since using this last night. The popping is very present now not having the WASAPI option.

VDJ seems very inconsistent (like my hunch about wasapi randomly disappearing earlier in my post). Now, all of a sudden, this random ASIO4ALL v2 appears? Can anyone explain this?
'

Posted Sat 12 Jan 19 @ 4:09 am
Side note: the popping comes through my headphones and the speakers, but not when using RCA to and auxiliary ipod or phone out of the mixer (and not using VDJ).

Posted Sat 12 Jan 19 @ 5:21 am
ASIO4all is a piece of software you must have installed at some point ... i would remove it in add remove programs.

Posted Sat 12 Jan 19 @ 3:51 pm
wickedmix wrote :
ASIO4all is a piece of software you must have installed at some point ... i would remove it in add remove programs.

Hi wicked, thanks for the reply. Yesterday I realized the asio4all was downloaded onto my computer. Honestly, I must have accidentally downloaded it from the denon website while I was re-downloading the regular denon asio driver.

Anyway, do you have any idea why the WASAPI driver soundcard option is randomly not present anymore? It seemed to not have any popping after 45 mins of play, so I was going to use it again yesterday, but now it's not an available option in the VDJ device settings. Odd?

Posted Sat 12 Jan 19 @ 4:40 pm
Bump

Posted Sun 13 Jan 19 @ 11:49 pm
PhillyXPRO SubscriberMember since 2015
bump also
denon mc6000 never saves my output config always searching for best driver setup

Posted Wed 06 Mar 19 @ 2:20 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)