Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Wishes and new features

Topic: FR: Three Options window improvements

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

ScooxHome userMember since 2018
Suggestion 1: List options groups alphabetically:

Current ——— Proposed
————————————————--
options ——— audio
browser ——— automix
audio ———— broadcast
video ———— browser
karaoke ——— controllers
skins ———— internet
controllers —— karaoke
sampler ——— options
record ———— performance
broadcast —— record
internet ——— sampler
automix ——— skins
performance — timecode
timecode —— video

Groups are currently sorted by function. In order to quickly locate a group, users need to be familiar with the software's capabilities. Such level of competency could take months to acquire. Using alphabetic sort, which is universally understood, users can easily find their way around the list straightaway. The options WITHIN each group don't need to be sorted alphabetically, as it makes more sense to keep related settings together.

Suggestion 2: Locate setting (show in context). If I type "booth" in the search box, that narrows down the options list to a single setting "boothMicrophone". But perhaps I want to see if there are other settings related to "boothMicrophone" that may be of interest to me, so it would be useful if I could locate this setting in the unfilter list. My suggestion is double-click the search result to clear the search box and scroll the list so that the double-clicked item appears at the top, thereby "locating" the item. This is similar to "Show in folder" in Chrome's bookmark manager.

Suggestion 3: Ability to filter/search by category. For instance, "#audio" would show all settings under the "audio" category. "#audio booth" would show all items under the "audio" category containing the string "booth".

Suggestion 4: Remember scroll position and search query next time options window opens. Currently, if I close the Settings window and then open it again, VDJ re-opens the last viewed tab. For example, if the last tab I was looking at was "OPTIONS", then the next time I open the Settings window the "OPTIONS" tab will still be selected. However, VDJ doesn't remember scroll position or the last used search query. Some times I adjust a setting and then, in order to test it, I need to close the settings window because it blocks my view of the main VDJ window. If I'm not happy with my chosen setting, I need to go back into Options and change it. Unfortunately, each time I need to locate the setting in the list, so it would be better if VDJ could remember both scroll position and the last search string.

Thanks!

Posted Sun 02 Dec 18 @ 2:09 am
PhilWPRO InfinityMember since 2011
VDJ is professional software, used by professional DJ’s.

DJ’s spend countless hours learning their craft. VDJ is one of the tools of that craft. I have no expectation that it spoon feeds me everything I want to do with it.

The manual is an excellent resource and I do expect it to explain to me how the software works. It does.

The options screen, sure, it’s a bit clunky but it works and it is very quick to find settings (for me).

In terms of priorities, this is the last place I’d like the developers putting their energy.

Posted Sun 02 Dec 18 @ 5:17 pm

Posted Sun 02 Dec 18 @ 6:43 pm
ScooxHome userMember since 2018
Oops, hadn't noticed that forum, noted :p

Posted Mon 03 Dec 18 @ 8:03 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)