Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Reloop Touch output noise

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hello. Any help would be appreciated with this problem.
I have had my Reloop Touch for about a year now, hasn't had much use. Mostly in my home.
I have been connecting it using the touch soundcard for head phones and my laptop via usb for output to the usb input on my mixer.
This works well. But I just bought a dual balanced 6.5 cable to connect from the L & R balanced outputs on the touch to the L & R balanced inputs on my mixer.
When I changed the audio settings in VDJ to suit, then tried it, the sound was not quite as loud as the other set up and there was an awful hum when no music was playing, (would have been there when the music played, just not audible over the music). I also tried the same set up using an RCA stereo cable with the RCA ports. But it was exactly the same. Seems the Reloop sound card is very noisy. There is no hum when running the output from the laptop. Has anyone else with a Reloop Touch experienced similar? Any ideas on overcoming the hum? The hum is definitely from the touch, not the mixer. Also, every thing is plugged into the same power point.

Posted Wed 21 Nov 18 @ 8:11 am
I have a Reloop TOUCH, but haven't noticed it
On the other hand my laptop soundcard tend to be noisy (you can hear the harddrive noise and other things), so I'm not sure I can test it properly...
I'll give it a try tonight, though

Posted Wed 21 Nov 18 @ 8:15 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
Might still be a ground loop. Do you still have the noise when you disconnect the laptop from the power?

Posted Wed 21 Nov 18 @ 8:57 am
I have a similar problem , when the master volume from the Reloop Touch is on minimum or maximum there is a hum , only when I keep it in the middle the sound is clear . So I allways have it in the middle .

Posted Wed 21 Nov 18 @ 12:06 pm
Balanced inputs on a mixer are usually mic level - not for connecting the line level outputs of another mixer (the Touch).

Why are you feeding a mixer into a mixer? What mixer (make/model) is the one with the balanced inputs?

Posted Wed 21 Nov 18 @ 5:36 pm
Adion wrote :
Might still be a ground loop. Do you still have the noise when you disconnect the laptop from the power?

Yes

Posted Wed 21 Nov 18 @ 9:26 pm
OceanBob wrote :
I have a similar problem , when the master volume from the Reloop Touch is on minimum or maximum there is a hum , only when I keep it in the middle the sound is clear . So I allways have it in the middle .

The noise increases a little when the master volume is turned from middle to either zero or full. But the noise is always there.

Posted Wed 21 Nov 18 @ 9:28 pm
groovindj wrote :
Balanced inputs on a mixer are usually mic level - not for connecting the line level outputs of another mixer (the Touch).

All 6.5 inputs are balanced on this according to the manual and upon inspection of the sockets. I connect it to line level inputs.

Why are you feeding a mixer into a mixer? What mixer (make/model) is the one with the balanced inputs?

Good point! I could go straight to the amp if I can find the right adapters. But until the noise issue is solved I won't run out of the touch soundcard.
Which means I have to run the usb out to the usb in on the mixer then to the amp.

Some times though I will be doing Karaoke an have up to 4 mics into the mixer as well. Or I may also be playing a soloist gig as well as dj'ing, in which case my vocals and guitar will also run through the mixer.

The mixer is a Behringer QX1222USB.

EDIT: I found balanced adapters to run out of the touch straight to the amp. This what happened. The noise was still there around the same volume, but, was a bit different. Here's how. When turning the master volume knob on the touch the noise was present at all but zero and full, except that at full the noise changed from a hum to a light hiss which was not too bad but can't leave the volume on full all the time. This behavior is somewhat the opposite when run through the mixer. Hum from zero to full, quietest in the middle, but not much quieter, (bit like OceanBob's).

Posted Wed 21 Nov 18 @ 9:34 pm
Reloop products aren't the best quality to be honest, and neither are Behringer generally.

I would put them at the lower end of quality so buzzing, hissing etc. would be normal and expected in that price range.

Posted Wed 21 Nov 18 @ 9:55 pm
Don't know what this means if any thing? But I have the laptop connected via usb to the mixer and the touch connected via balanced 6.5 cables. The noise is still present even when I switch the audio output to usb in VDJ, if I pause the music and move the channel volume slider up that the touch is connected to noise is still there. Mute that channel and turn up the usb channel, no noise.

Posted Wed 21 Nov 18 @ 10:08 pm
kradcliffe wrote :
Reloop products aren't the best quality to be honest, and neither are Behringer generally.

I would put them at the lower end of quality so buzzing, hissing etc. would be normal and expected in that price range.

I somewhat agree. However I have had this mixer longer than the touch and can say it has been excellent, I was using it for my solo gigs before I got the controller. And I run it through a Bose L1-2S / B2. I am now using a Bose 4 chan mixer for my solo gigs though because it is so compact and mounts on my mic stand. Sound quality isn't any better than the Behringer.

But in regard to the touch, I could not use this for a gig using the outputs from the touch sound card, way too noisy. You should be able to use the equipment you buy for it's intended purpose, otherwise it's fraudulent, wouldn't you agree?

Posted Wed 21 Nov 18 @ 10:20 pm
I had the same issue with the Reloop Mixtour. It was fine for in the house but no use whatsoever on the road.

The club I used to work in bought a touch, they used it for one night then binned it because it was so utterly terrible. It's a shame Atomix partnered with trash like that as it also affects their reputation too.

I agree to a point but cheaper gear always has less audio quality, more distortion, poor S/N ratio etc. Doesn't mean it's fraudulent, just not as good as others.

Posted Wed 21 Nov 18 @ 10:27 pm
In my opinion they shouldn't have put a sound card in it at all, if they were going to use one that sounds like crap. Because what good is it? I can't use it.
I will try to get it fixed under warranty I suppose?

I say, If you are going to do something do it properly or not at all!

Posted Thu 22 Nov 18 @ 2:42 am
Reloop has to fix the soundcard problem , it's not normal there's a hum . I wonder if anyone from Atomix can talk to Reloop about it . But Kenny , I don't think it can be fixed for you , what I mean is they should fix it for the next model . And I hope they will make it a stand-alone devise , so you won't need a computer anymore .

Posted Thu 22 Nov 18 @ 7:36 am
Having now looked at that Behringer mixer, you should be feeding the Touch into the 'line in' jacks on channels 5/6, 7/8, 9/10 or 11/12.

Is that what you're doing? Don't use the XLR inputs for line level!

A good tool to have in your box of tricks is a ground loop isolator. It can stop hum dead in its tracks.

Posted Thu 22 Nov 18 @ 5:31 pm
I have fixed the issue. It was bad ground loop hum from the reloop touch. Fixed with a Behringer HD 400 Hun Destroyer. To a lesser degree was some noise from the laptop.
This was fixed by swapping the power supply from a Chinese replacement back to the original Asus one. I think the Asus is double insulated, the other is not?
I also added an ifi i-Defender 3 USB hum eliminator. I now have a perfectly clean sound. Thanks for your help guys.

Posted Fri 27 Sep 19 @ 12:57 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)