Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Auto master like in Traktor?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

ScooxHome userMember since 2018
In Traktor there is a function called Auto Master, as well as the concept of a Global Master. Only a playing deck can be master. When the master stops playing, mastership is transferred to the Global Master (whose tempo is the same as the previous master) until one of the four decks is manually selected as master. This ensures that there is always a master to sync to. I don't know if other DJ software has some kind of auto-master or global master. I've only ever used Traktor and Deckadance. Traktor by far has the better implementation, while Deckadance's auto-master is there but can be manually overriden (you can set a stopped deck as master when other decks are currently playing).

In VDJ there is no Global Master, but one deck must always be master. When the master stops playing, mastership is not transferred to another deck, and it is the user's responsibility to remember to manually choose another master.

I haven't delved into controller mappings and scripting with VDJ but would it be possible to do something similar in VDJ? Something like this:

"When a deck stops, if it is master, and if there is another deck playing at the same tempo, transfer mastership to that deck, otherwise transfer mastership to the numerically nearest playing deck, and if no decks are playing (master was the last playing deck) then don't transfer mastership."

I've searched the options but couldn't find anything that might be able to do this. BTW thank you for the search box in the options, it's such a time saver!

Posted Fri 16 Nov 18 @ 2:45 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
What's the reason you want to select a master?
If you don't select a master vdj will pick the playing deck automatically to sync with.

Posted Fri 16 Nov 18 @ 2:59 pm
"What's the reason you want to select a master?
If you don't select a master vdj will pick the playing deck automatically to sync with."

Well, simply put, if two decks are playing simultaneously, which one of the two would VDJ deem to be your "playing deck"? The answer is either deck is a suitable "master", that's why the Master switch is there for!

For example:

Deck 1: Slave, Stopped
Deck 2: Master, Playing
Deck 3: Slave, Playing
Deck 4: Slave, Playing

In this case, if I hit Play on Deck 1, it will sync to Deck 2 because Deck 2 is the Master and is playing. However:

Deck 1: Slave, Stopped
Deck 2: Master, Stopped
Deck 3: Slave, Playing
Deck 4: Slave, Playing

In this case, if I hit Play on Deck 1, it will play at whatever BPM the deck happens to be set to, and will not necessarily be in sync with any of the other decks. It won't even sync to the tempo of the stopped Master (Deck 2)

In other words, an uncertain state exists. The job of Auto master + Global Master is to eliminate the uncertain state and to ensure the BPM value is continuous throughout the mix.

Posted Sat 17 Nov 18 @ 9:07 am
But if you didn't select deck 2 as master in case 2, it would sync to the loudest of deck 3 or 4, which is probably what you expected

Posted Sat 17 Nov 18 @ 11:20 am
According to my testing, that's incorrect. If in the second case Deck 2 is not master, and Deck 1 is not master either, then Deck 3 or Deck 4—both playing decks—would be master and Deck 1 would sync to the master, not the loudest deck.

Why would I expect a deck to sync to the loudest deck? It would be very difficult to tell by ear which of two tracks is louder. Anyway, I've tested this and if there is a playing master, all other decks will sync to it, every time. The problem is when the master stops: Without a playing master, any newly played tracks have nothing to sync to and will ruin the mix. Therefore the user needs to remember to manually set one of the playing decks as master.

One more thing, the master indicator in VDJ's default UI is too small and very hard to see. For such an important indicator, I would have thought it'd be more visible. In Traktor, the the Master button is nearly as big as the Play button. I'm sure there are skins out there that I could try, but I think it's in the product's interest to provide a default skin that's compelling enough to make people want to buy the thing.

Posted Sat 17 Nov 18 @ 1:26 pm
As long as you did not manually select a master, then it will work automatically as I said. The loudest (as defined by volume slider) playing deck is the one that will be synced to.
(loudest so that a deck that you are just prelistening is not chosen over a live deck)

Posted Sat 17 Nov 18 @ 2:24 pm
I see what you are saying. I've just managed to get it to work a couple of times, but as soon as I override master manually I can't get it to work again and master is stuck at whichever deck it is on. If I restart VDJ and don't touch the master indicator, it works. What if I touch it by accident during a set?

What if Decks 3 & 4 are both playing and equally loud, which one would become the master?

Posted Sat 17 Nov 18 @ 4:34 pm
If you manually set a deck as Master, then "auto master" stops working.
You need to rightclick on "master" button to set it back to auto.

Posted Sat 17 Nov 18 @ 6:07 pm
According to my testing, that's incorrect. If in the second case Deck 2 is not master, and Deck 1 is not master either, then Deck 3 or Deck 4—both playing decks—would be master and Deck 1 would sync to the master, not the loudest deck.

Why would I expect a deck to sync to the loudest deck? It would be very difficult to tell by ear which of two tracks is louder. Anyway, I've tested this and if there is a playing master, all other decks will sync to it, every time. The problem is when the master stops: Without a playing master, any newly played tracks have nothing to sync to and will ruin the mix. Therefore the user needs to remember to manually set one of the playing decks as master.

One more thing, the master indicator in VDJ's default UI is too small and very hard to see. For such an important indicator, I would have thought it'd be more visible. In Traktor, the the Master button is nearly as big as the Play button. I'm sure there are skins out there that I could try, but I think it's in the product's interest to provide a default skin that's compelling enough to make people want to buy the thing.

Posted Sat 17 Nov 18 @ 6:23 pm
Why are you using the entire text from another users post without quotes?

Posted Sat 17 Nov 18 @ 6:44 pm
Ah OK I get it now. Just to clarify, clicking the word "Master" on *any one* of the four decks will reset auto-master. This small detail was the missing piece, thanks.

It would certainly help if there was an Auto-Master button on the UI to both toggle and indicate auto-master state, because currently there is no way to tell if auto-master is enabled.

Posted Sat 17 Nov 18 @ 6:51 pm
Maybe you should try reading the manual?

Posted Sat 17 Nov 18 @ 7:08 pm
Yes I should :p

Posted Mon 19 Nov 18 @ 9:57 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)