Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Music discussion

Topic: Hard time beatmatching with new Sennheiser HD 25 Plus headphones

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hi There,

I am having a hard time Hard time beatmatching with new Sennheiser HD 25 Plus headphones , I switched from a cheap pair of £10 sony headphones , the new ones block out a lot more sound and it has drastically affected my beatmatching for the worst, has anyone else ever experienced this ? I

Thanks

Posted Thu 31 May 18 @ 6:58 am
FunkEmUP wrote :
Hi There,

I am having a hard time Hard time beatmatching with new Sennheiser HD 25 Plus headphones , I switched from a cheap pair of £10 sony headphones , the new ones block out a lot more sound and it has drastically affected my beatmatching for the worst, has anyone else ever experienced this ? I

Thanks

That the main out is "unavailable" for one reason or another? Yes
I use the Headphone Mix feature for that, so that a little of the master output is mixed into the headphones together with the regular cue output
If often adjust it with each mix so that Headphone Mix is 0 while I prepare the track, and then goes up to 30-50 pct while doing the mix

Some prefer to use the splitHeadphones feature (below) to achieve the same thing

Posted Thu 31 May 18 @ 7:30 am
The HD25s are excellent, used mine for over 15 years.

Like Klaus, I also use the headphone mix feature that is on most, if not all, mixers. I've never used a booth monitor for mixing, always headphones on one ear with the headphone mix at Master out = 30-50% and Cue at 100%.

I got used to this way of working in case I worked at a club that didn't have booth monitors.

Posted Thu 31 May 18 @ 12:10 pm
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the advice, I did start using the headphone mix this afternoon a little, I find it difficult but I think claus is right that if you just have a little bit of the master leaking into the headphones it's easier to home in and chuck the beats on top of it, I think it will become easier to mix this way in time. I also agree that it would be handy if there were no booth monitors.

Thanks

Posted Thu 31 May 18 @ 5:39 pm
Hi there,

A quick question, is it best to use a usb 3 cable for controllers and dvs or will a high quality usb 2 cable suffice ?

Regards,

Mike

Posted Wed 13 Jun 18 @ 5:09 am
locodogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
Nowt to do with this thread, use the cable type spec'd by the soundcard.
Usb3 is backwards compatible.

Posted Wed 13 Jun 18 @ 5:19 am
Thanks much appreciated

Posted Thu 14 Jun 18 @ 7:29 pm
I've used the same pair of HD 25s from when they first appeared in Australia, '97 or '98, from memory, they cost about $700 AU back then, and worn out 2 sets of earpads only in all that time.. My prep to ensure easy mixing, is every song in my database has a saved cuepoint, which is 16 beats before the point i want the audience to START to hear the song coming in. I let VDJ8 do the work, 32 beats before i want to totally be out of the current song playing, i'll hit the saved cue point of the song i'm bringing in, count 8 beats, hit the sync button, another 8 beats and my crossfader is by then in the central position and the first beats of the new song just heard over the one that has been playing, from there its 16 beats of both songs playing then totally into the new one. (some songs i've altered that to 32 beats.) Prior to actually doing each mix, i've had the HD25s covering both ears, used the cuemix control to ensure the basslines do line up and decide what tone adjustments will be needed during a mix, but have no headphones on during a mix itself. (hope that description makes sense) Seems to work for me, anyone else do it like that? Also, I'm wondering if the HD25 PLUS phones are better in any way than the originals that i have ?

Posted Sat 22 Sep 18 @ 3:13 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)