Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Music discussion

Topic: Who thinks vinyl sets sound boring compared to digital sets ?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Do you think vinyl sets sound really boring compared to digital IE hardly any tracks mixed in an hour and so on, too many breakdowns due to slow mixing and so on ?

Posted Sat 14 Apr 18 @ 11:20 am
Oh no, not another post! The mods will not be happy.

Please, just keep your comments to the one thread.

Posted Sat 14 Apr 18 @ 11:23 am
I really dont get the whole please don't create another thread thing , after one reply the thread as good as becomes dead, and secondly the title of this thread is not even near related to the last topic I started

Posted Sat 14 Apr 18 @ 11:25 am
Would I get less grief or any if I was a paid member ? And as the mods are so strict about multiple threads why don't they see to it there is a way to edit the title of the thread so that it relates to the updated question/topic/comments in the thread ???? Because once the title is seen it is answered them dismissed as old, even though the topic has changed within the thread , unless of course some brainy users think " I have seen this thread and it was answered but I will just go in and check to see if he has changed the subject matter within the thread as this site doesn't allow the title of the thread to be edited so it matches the now CHANGED SUBJECT within the thread

Posted Sat 14 Apr 18 @ 11:27 am
DJ Ruffstuff wrote :
after one reply the thread as good as becomes dead

....and why do you think that is? Because you're not using it to ask any follow up questions.

There are already a couple of sticky threads (the ones with stars) about mixing at the top of this forum anyway, so TBH you could've used one of those to start with.

BTW forums are the same anywhere on the web. Anyone that doesn't follow the rules/guidelines can expect to be guided.

Posted Sat 14 Apr 18 @ 1:07 pm
I didn't feel I was being guided, I felt persecuted and it's upset me , I'm a nice person and people are nasty to me

Posted Sun 15 Apr 18 @ 2:15 am
DJ Ruffstuff wrote :
Do you think vinyl sets sound really boring compared to digital IE hardly any tracks mixed in an hour and so on, too many breakdowns due to slow mixing and so on ?

Wouldn't it be the opposite of too many break downs due to fast mixing? Isn't it about the music? If the music is boring to you, the set will be. I find digital Dj'ing more exciting than Vinyl. I stopped using that horrid stuff a long time ago. Never regretted selling it. It's easier digitally but i'll add a lot more things i couldn't do Vinyl. To answer the question... Yes when performing myself, No when listening, I want to hear the music, not a fast mash up. ADHD mixing, the need to slap you in the face every 30 seconds gets tired very quickly. It doesn't draw you in and take you anywhere. It's snap, snap, snap... over. Like a dirty quicky!!!

Posted Sun 15 Apr 18 @ 9:41 am
DJ Ruffstuff wrote :
vinyl sets.....hardly any tracks mixed.......slow mixing

What makes you think that? I guess you've not seen any of the old DMC contests from the vinyl years.

Just because it's vinyl doesn't mean those DJs leave the tracks on for longer and do slow mixes!

Posted Sun 15 Apr 18 @ 10:29 am
Mitchiemasha, I agree, I am not a fan of wham bam thankyou mam sets either, like 80 tracks an hour ?? Wtf. as soon as you enjoy a track it;s gone, half aren;t even mixed, just cut across at careful or given moments. I will check out the DMC and have a butchers, but if the mixing is the same as their slipmatts it will be terrible lol

Posted Sun 15 Apr 18 @ 11:42 am
but what music is the fast mixing ? Is it hip hop ? I mix drum and bass so I find quick transitions in general are not good, they are acceptable in some cases but in most they are not good

Posted Sun 15 Apr 18 @ 11:45 am
How many times does it need repeating? There are no rules.

Nothing is set in stone that says hip hop has to be mixed fast (or whatever).

As long as you don't overload your mixer output, and your beats are aligned (no train wrecks) then anything else is up to you.

For the DMC stuff, I suggest you start with DJ Cheese from 1986. Nothing slow about that routine! Pay particular attention to the part about 6 minutes in, where he cuts up beats to make a drum pattern. That blew minds back in '86.

Posted Sun 15 Apr 18 @ 11:58 am
WoW, love the Old DMC - Battle Mix Contest from early Years,iself was on some of this as Guest in German Discotheks.
Here there are from DMC- Disco Mix Club Germany in the 80'Years.Some Works with Old Numark DM 1885 Mixer with Sampler.
Iself was a Member of DMC Germany in the 80s too,but later the have closed and lost my Membership.

I mean i have some Old Vinyls from this Time in my Vinyl Music Archive.
Have too 1 or 2.Old Video Cassettes DMC Germany Videos recording on a Old Video2000 Recorder,but the Video 2000 Recorder /Player now scrap.Must look and search for a Video 2000 Player.

Some Funny thinks See by this Mixing with Samurai Sword ,Tricky Hands ,Headstand,Machines and so on.

Love too from this Time the Old Mixes on Vinyl of Mas-/Max Mix and Italo Boot Mix,Raul Orelanos Bolero Mix and they good old Ben Liebrand Mixes .

Iself Mix only Normal.
Today i have Not more the 2x Technics 1210MK II ,give up this in the 91s.
Will buy me in the Future 2 or 3x Technics 1210 MKII or a newer Technics Modell of this.
Love more the Thorens TD 524 /535 Turntable Modells but this a Raritäts of this DiscoTime.
Very Heavy to find some in good Quality but the are very expensive.Thinks that Not exist many of this
Modells,some only by Thorens Collector or only some Older DJ's.
Greatings,Dirk

Posted Sun 15 Apr 18 @ 1:21 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)