Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Seeking help with setting automix points.

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Running v8, I'd like to automatically mix a series of karaoke tracks which start/end at specific points and smoothly fading into each other. Here's what I've tried but not successful:

1) Open the POI editor for a song and set the Mix Fade Start and Fade End points to where I want them.
2) Move the song to the Automix side. Choose Fade (remove intro/outro) as Automix Type
3) Play the mix.

But it always starts from the beginning of the song and goes through the end. Not sure which step I'm doing wrong or missing. Hopefully this is a simple fix.
Also, once these points are set, are they somehow "saved" for each track, so the next time I open the software and load the song, these points will be activated?

Thanks in advane,

P

Posted Wed 11 Apr 18 @ 2:42 am

Posted Wed 11 Apr 18 @ 9:16 am
This video may also help cleary some of it:

Posted Wed 11 Apr 18 @ 9:22 am
But in general

If you want to adjust for just this run, you can use the automix editor:

The POIs stays and works every time
- but what may confuse you is that you need to use the POIs that match the Automix type you select
There are multible ones to choose from:

Posted Wed 11 Apr 18 @ 9:27 am
If you are going to use fade into/outro, then you want to use the mix fade start & mix fade exit automix points.

Posted Wed 11 Apr 18 @ 6:19 pm
I have tried the 3 FADE automix types, i.e., intro/outro, silence and nothing - after setting the Mix Fade 'Start' and 'Exit' Points in the POI editor. But the automix keeps playing the entire track. I'll try again tonight, seems I'm missing something somewhere. Does it matter whether I use the POI editor in the Automix window or in the regular track window? Something in the settings - I'm using the default 1-deck option.

I know I can create a complete sequence ahead of time, but would prefer the flexibility of being able to add/remove/move songs while the automix is playing.

Thanks,

P

Posted Wed 11 Apr 18 @ 8:16 pm
Here is an example of it working with 3 tracks
I change the middle tracks POIs to shorten the track to only play part of the middle of the track
I then let it do the automixing of the 3 tracks - except I skip forward a bit twice with the mouse to make the video a bit shorter

Posted Wed 11 Apr 18 @ 9:08 pm
Klaus, this is EXACTLY what I want to do. So it does work. My interface still shows 2 decks, so I may have got that wrong - will change to 1. Also I guess the 'Full' Start and Exit points are the right ones, I was trying the 'Fade' points. I will try this again, fingers crossed.

BTW, do you know if these points are permanently saved for each song even after you exit VDJ8, so they will remain in other sessions and mixes?

Thanks again,

P

Posted Thu 12 Apr 18 @ 1:40 pm
Rustywoods wrote :

BTW, do you know if these points are permanently saved for each song even after you exit VDJ8, so they will remain in other sessions and mixes?

Yes, they are saved with the tracks

Posted Thu 12 Apr 18 @ 2:16 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
Note that if you right-click the white fade point either at the start of the beginning on the deck waveform, it will automatically open the POI editor and select the POI relevant for your selected automix mode.
Note also that if you used the automix editor, changes made there will override POI settings for that specific pair of songs.

Posted Thu 12 Apr 18 @ 3:22 pm
I've got this working with the Start and End POI and Automix type set to nothing. Very nice, thanks for the help. Another question: is it possible to pre-set a region to skip on a particular track using POIs? Let me explain. Say, I've loaded 5 tracks into the Automix playlist. On track 3, I'd like Virtual DJ to automatically skip a portion of the track somewhere in the middle (maybe because the interlude music is too long). Please note, this is not in the Automix editor - that's a bit too rigid in case I want to shuffle tracks up and down. On a track-by-track basis, I'd like to be able to set (ahead of time) region to 'skip' during Automix.

I tried using some of the 'Break' POI, but no success thus far. Your kind help is greatly appreciated. As background, I'm using VDJ for a karaoke medley automix, and I think I'm just beginning to scratch (!) the surface of these awesome capabilities. Any other hints/clues on features to enhance this medley would be fantastic. I'm yet to explore the sampler, etc - lots to learn.

Cheers,

Joe

Posted Thu 07 Jun 18 @ 1:28 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)