Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Music discussion

Topic: Length of a Drum and bass transition ??? Should I allow tracks to go into breakdown ?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hi,

In need of some advice from some pro dj's or really really good amateurs, would appreciate some input.

How long should a drum and bass transition be ? I am currently mixing 2 tracks for at least 1 min 30 secs to 2 minutes, with some good EQing and then beatmatch the next tracks and let the current track go into a breakdown with no beats, then I introduce the next track at the start on the first snare of the first bar and slowly open the fader to middle point and bring the mix in and repeat.

Question is though, is this wrong ? I am manually beatmatching, the issue is these days many dj's use sync and mix about 3 tunes a minute, so would me playing a track and letting it go into breakdown each time be considered boring and a poor show or is it ok ??

Thanks

Posted Tue 10 Apr 18 @ 12:37 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
Record a mix you make and listen to it. Then see if it sounds boring to you or not.
There's not really a right or wrong as music can be very subjective.

For me it often sounds annoying if mixing is done too fast with no time to actually enjoy the songs.

Posted Tue 10 Apr 18 @ 12:51 pm
Hi,

Thanks for the response, I don't think it sounds boring, I am listening to it now, truth is I am not that quick at beatmatching and am a little shaky at it so at the moment I am unable to get 2 mixes in before a breakdown, I also prefer longer cleaner transitions, I am trying anyway lol

Posted Tue 10 Apr 18 @ 12:54 pm
There are no rules that say "a mix has to take this long". Listen to the music and do what you feel is right for the track and the mood.

Posted Tue 10 Apr 18 @ 5:20 pm
Thanks, appreciated, some tracks have short intros, some don't lend themselves to long transitions, some do though, some are bangers that need time to play out, some are , will just keep working at getting quicker at beatmatching first , and getting more accurate

Posted Tue 10 Apr 18 @ 6:24 pm
There's no need to start another thread every time you have a question. Also, it's already been stated that there are no rules when it comes to "how do I mix this or that?". You don't have to do it a certain way, or like someone else.

Have a look on YouTube for mixes by DJ SOS.

Posted Fri 13 Apr 18 @ 7:22 pm
Thanks, I appreciate it, locodog replied in another thread and it made no sense at all lol

Posted Sat 14 Apr 18 @ 1:03 am
Any good mp3 download sites for d & b besides juno and beatport ? Would appreciate some input, thanks

Posted Mon 16 Apr 18 @ 1:28 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)