Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: NS7iii + Macbook Pro + VDJ Compatibility issues.

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

DJAuzPRO InfinityMember since 2008
Hello,
I noticed that the supported hardware includes the Numark NS7iii, I purchased the controller with the assumption that it was working and compatible.

Although I have to say the controller is recognized and is working, there seems to be some serious misses to call this completely compatible. Here's some of the issues I've noticed, comparing of course with Serato. This is just initial observations as I've only been able to play with it for about an hour. I'm using a brand new MacBook Pro (2017 model).

1. The view button on the screens doesn't do anything.
2. The LED noise level bar for the 'main output' is always at zero (channels work, just not the main). This did seem to work when using Windows, not mac.
3. There's some weirdness with the PFL, if you press the little headphone icon it messes up PFL, you have to unselect them to make it work properly.
4. There's zero capacitive touch support, such a shame!
5. With the motors on, when you pause the deck, there's a very annoying ~4 second pause before the platters manipulate the track. This doesn't happen when playing a deck, only pausing. So if I want to pause and backspin the track, I have an annoying wait before it's responsive.
6. Although the knobs to control the start and stop times of the platters do work, the actual speed of the platter doesn't spin up or spin down, they just stop and start. This is aesthetics but it would make a big difference.

#5 is the biggest annoyance.

I know some of these items are nitpicking, but I was wondering if further compatibility with the NS7iii is coming? Serato just works beautifully, it would be nice to have VDJ work better, as VDJ in itself is a much more superior product than Serato.

Thanks much.

Posted Mon 09 Apr 18 @ 5:03 pm

Posted Mon 09 Apr 18 @ 5:37 pm
DJAuzPRO InfinityMember since 2008
I have not but I am now, thanks for this information!

I don't think it will resolve my biggest annoyance (they delay when hitting pause and the platters don't manipulate the track), but I think I may be able to tweak some of the other settings).

Thank you

Posted Mon 09 Apr 18 @ 6:40 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
DJAuz wrote :
1. The view button on the screens doesn't do anything.

The VIEW button should toggle between the 2 available views as per this .. http://www.virtualdj.com/manuals/hardware/numark/dashboard/displays.html
If not working for you, perhaps you need to update the unit's firmware. I believe its the one named as "Firmware Updater v1.05" from https://www.numark.com/product/ns7ii-display

Source : http://community.numark.com/numark/topics/firmware-update-for-ns7iii-ns7ii-display-and-dashboard

DJAuz wrote :
2. The LED noise level bar for the 'main output' is always at zero (channels work, just not the main). This did seem to work when using Windows, not mac.
I see a small "bug" in mapping. Can you try to map
MASTER_VU_LEFT as .. deck master get_vu_meter_left
and MASTER_VU_RIGHT as deck master get_vu_meter_right
Keep in mind that the Master VU meters will not show activity when the Master Volume knob is at a very low position

DJAuz wrote :
3. There's some weirdness with the PFL, if you press the little headphone icon it messes up PFL, you have to unselect them to make it work properly.
Which "icon" ? From the skin ? That's probably a hardware/firmware limitation. You will have to rely on what you see on the unit and control PFL from there and not from the skin. Unless there is something else that i fail to understand.

DJAuz wrote :
4. There's zero capacitive touch support, such a shame!
The unit doesnt send any MIDI when platter is touched, same as a Turntable. So nothing we can do here about it.

DJAuz wrote :
5. With the motors on, when you pause the deck, there's a very annoying ~4 second pause before the platters manipulate the track. This doesn't happen when playing a deck, only pausing. So if I want to pause and backspin the track, I have an annoying wait before it's responsive.

"pause the deck" using the PLAY button or when you hold the platter ? You could try different values for the setting motorwheelLocktime .
Also, this could be due to the selected latency. For Mac, you can try a lower value for the "Latency" setting within VirtualDJ Settings->Options tab. e.g. 512, 256, 128 and see if the response is getting better (dont go very low though, you may experience other sound and performance issues)

DJAuz wrote :
6. Although the knobs to control the start and stop times of the platters do work, the actual speed of the platter doesn't spin up or spin down, they just stop and start. This is aesthetics but it would make a big difference.
This is a known issue. VirtualDJ doesnt "control" the speed of the platter, it just "reads" it, so these knobs will do the job, but as you said you wont see it happening in "real"

Posted Wed 11 Apr 18 @ 12:02 am
djdad wrote :
nothing we can do here about it.

He probably means this (taken from the Numark web site):
"There are 29 capacitive touch-sensitive knobs for filter, gain, EQ and effects"

The VDJ setup manual for the NS7iii is not online. The link goes to the NV manual...

Posted Wed 11 Apr 18 @ 6:51 am
groovindj wrote :
djdad wrote :
nothing we can do here about it.

He probably means this (taken from the Numark web site):
"There are 29 capacitive touch-sensitive knobs for filter, gain, EQ and effects"

The VDJ setup manual for the NS7iii is not online. The link goes to the NV manual...

I think the link is for "Next controller"
- that seems to be the default for the pages for controllers without their own manual
So I don't think there is a NS7iii manual available

I've always assumed it was because the NS7iii is just a NS7ii with a Numark Dashboard bolted on
- so that you simply looked in those 2 manuals depending on what you needed to know
But I've never actually asked anyone about it

Posted Wed 11 Apr 18 @ 9:16 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)