Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Windows 7 or 8.1 OR Windows 10 ?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Greetings to everybody-

I would like to share with you my thoughts and pick your brains for some answers.

I will take your input very seriously in doing any changes on my laptops.
I am computer savvy so dont spare any details.

I have 3 laptops for my job as a professional Dj :

1) Main gig laptop :
i3 3rd gen (5 years old)
2 gb dedicated nvidia graphics card
6 gb ram @ 1600 mhz
Boot & Windows drive : 256 gb ssd (samsung evo 860)
Music located on a 1 tb 2.5" internal wd black edition (Bought in 2018) 7200 rpm 32 mb cache (on a hdd caddy).

2) 1st backup laptop - Dell inspiron 15 :
i3 3rd gen (5 years old)
6 gb ram @ 1600 mhz
Boot & Windows drive : 500 gb HDD @ 5400 rpm
Music located on a 1 tb 2.5" internal wd black edition (Bought in 2018) 7200 rpm 32 mb cache (on a hdd caddy).

3) 2nd backup laptop -12.5 inches lenovo x230- (& also used for small events with the Ddj wego2) :
i5 3rd gen (5 years old)
6 gb ram @ 1600 mhz
Boot & Windows drive : 320 gb HDD @ 7200 rpm
Music located on external hdd (WD my passport 1 tb usb3) (Bought in 2018)

All laptops are :
-Audio optimized
-They never go online besides when i update vdj
-Are working without any problems.

Controllers used with these machines :
-Pioneer Ddj RX
-Pioneer Ddj RR
-Pioneer Ddj Wego2

So my question is this :
Should i bother upgrading to windows 10 and if yes on which laptop(s) and why ?
Would i experience any gains in audio - speed - stability or any other factor that would make it worth it ?

In general i follow the rule : If its working DONT change it.
But since technology & OS advance i would not want to be left behind...

in other words : You have a good car - Do you change the driver with a younger one (maybe better and more skilled ?

thank you very much for your input in advance

Posted Sun 08 Apr 18 @ 2:45 pm
Windows 10 is fine on a fresh install, not an upgrade however you need to make sure that device specific drivers are available before you try.

Personally I would say if you have a laptop less than 3 years old from a mainstream manufacturer you should be ok..... however if everything is working fine as is then there's no point changing for the sake of it.

I find Windows 10 a bit slicker and faster, but then you also need a start menu replacement and various programs to stop all the telemetry etc.

What I'm trying to say is unless you need 10 to support a specific piece of hardware or software I would just leave as is.

On 5 year old machines I certainly wouldn't risk it.

Posted Sun 08 Apr 18 @ 2:54 pm
the same thoughts are crossing my mind..

And of course if i would do it, i would do a fresh install & not an upgrade.

i probably have too much time in my hands in the last week to be thinking as i am......!

Posted Sun 08 Apr 18 @ 6:02 pm
I vote the same as Keith. Leave what you have, and wait until you get new computers which have Windows 10 preinstalled.

Posted Sun 08 Apr 18 @ 6:24 pm
All in favor say aye, aye. Yes, you do have too much time on your hands.

Posted Sun 08 Apr 18 @ 6:51 pm
Then ...thats it !!!

everything stays as is.

thank you all for the clarifications & the insight.

Having some free time is a dangerous thing, it gets you into potential trouble that is not needed...

Posted Sun 08 Apr 18 @ 7:47 pm
It will have you spending money on things you DON'T need. I have plenty of stuff that has never been used, because of too much time. You are probably looking at that shiny new Windows 10 computer right now. You know the one with the I7, 8g NVidia card, 512 SSD, 1TB HHD, 16g RAM, dual cooling fans, with copper heat sink, multicolored backlit chicklet keyboard, 17" UHD display (I only do 17").

Posted Sun 08 Apr 18 @ 8:01 pm
Never Change a Running System
When all Run good for you than Never Change the Systems.

When you will Change too Windows 10:
Buy a New Powerfull Notebook (i7 or Mac)and installed than VDJ 7.4.7 and VDJ 8.2 on this.
Hold the other Notebooks with no Change on it for your Backup.

Iself Works with These Old Notebook and Backup Netbook / Backup Tablet with VDJ 7.4.7 Pro Full and VDJ 8.2 Buildt 4189 installed .
All These have Not the Power of Your Machines,the have only max 2GB RAM.

Works for me good enough with VDJ 7.4.7 and VDJ 8.2 and the AA VMS 2 MidiController.

Main:
Toshiba Satellit M40X with Windows XP SP3

Backup:
Asus Eee PC 101 with Windows 7
HP Stream 7 Tablet with Windows 8.1

I use too one of my Extern Analog Mixers and Denon DN 1800 F Double CD Player and Denon M2000R (pitchable Minidisk) and my Original CD's/MD's.

Vinyl i only use by Vinyl Oldiepartys with 2x Dual CS 491 Turntables and my Oldest Mixer.

Greatings,Dirk

Posted Sun 08 Apr 18 @ 8:54 pm
thank you again for the answers !

That is what i love about our community : We do help each other & we do it at an incredible speed !!

Next time i have free time , i will go to sleep or wear a blindfold over my eyes while listening to music from my PERFECTLY GOOD WORKING SYSTEMS !!!!!!!

Posted Mon 09 Apr 18 @ 9:18 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)