Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Glitch when renaming files in tag editor

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

SerinePRO InfinityMember since 2013
Windows 10
VDJ V8.2 B4064

When renaming files, windows asks for administrator permission to change files, then windows gives an error saying "the source and destination filename are the same" so the files don't change.

But then VDJ can't find the files because it is looking for the new filenames.

How can I reverse/fix this? I renamed a whole album this way!

Posted Sat 24 Feb 18 @ 9:04 pm
mcs1234PRO InfinityMember since 2010
My guess is that you are changing the name in the "database" file, but because of the security setting in Windows, you're not actually changing the physical file name in Windows. I suspect you need to change your security setting in Windows so such changes aren't questioned by the system.

Posted Sat 24 Feb 18 @ 9:22 pm
Windows should ask for Administration privileges to rename files ONLY inside special folders (like the root of a drive, inside "Program Files" directory e.t.c.)
Where are your files located at ?
What type of user account are you using (is the user account an "Administrator" of this PC, or is it a simple user account)
What are the access rights (NTFS File permissions) on the directory you're trying to rename files ?

Posted Mon 26 Feb 18 @ 9:33 am
SerinePRO InfinityMember since 2013
Because I changed username during a recent computer change, the files are in C:\Users\NotMyUsername. I suspect this is the reason that it is asking for permission.

My user is administrator on this PC

Changing the permissions of the folder has stopped it from asking for permission and seems to have stopped the problem.

Interestingly, the files that I renamed earlier now seem to have actually changed their names in windows. I am pretty sure I haven't restarted since then so I wonder if this was all due to some weird delay in windows renaming the files.

Posted Tue 27 Feb 18 @ 11:48 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)